• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk wildlife (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Hi

I've been thinking for a while of starting a thread of general wildlife sightings for Suffolk. I've finally got round to it!

Rather out of date now but I had 3 silver-studded blues at Purdis Heath, on 30th June.

Hi

I've been thinking for a while of starting a thread of general wildlife sightings for Suffolk. I've finally got round to it!

Rather out of date now but I had 3 silver-studded blues at Purdis Heath, on 30th June.

Hi Steve, I won't be contributing much but I've just returned from a week's family holiday in Aldeburgh. I managed to nip up to the Farnes briefly (!) so had to keep birding to a minimum.

Highlight was a SEROTINE in the garden of our rented holiday home last night - the first I've seen away from a roost, and so obvious even in the half light of late dusk no detector was needed.
Minsmere earlier in the week produced a displaying bittern (see my blog below for pic) and stone curlew plus pr little terns, 2 prs med gulls & 3 spot redshank. A couple of days later I had a 2nd sum med gull north along the beach at Aldeburgh.

regards
James

Hi

Good idea Steve.

I'd borrowed a moth trap for the Garden Bioblitz last month and as I noted quite a few micro moths in the garden earlier this week I thought I'd set it up again.

A nice selection, some I've yet to identify, with one of the highlights actually a Caddisfly, Phryganea grandis. The UKs largest species and after contacting Adrian, the county recorder, he said that adults, and this was a female, aren't encountered that often.

Gi

1. Mottled Beauty
2. Peppered Moth
3. Foxglove Pug
4. Freyer's Pug
5. Phryganea grandis

Attachments

• Mottled Beauty.jpg
    Mottled Beauty.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Peppered Moth.jpg
    Peppered Moth.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Foxglove Pug.jpg
    Foxglove Pug.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Freyer's Pug.jpg
    Freyer's Pug.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Phryganea grandis.jpg
    Phryganea grandis.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 83
Took a few photos yesterday in the garden. The Dor Beetle has mites on it's back. The fly, Palloptera muliebris, known as Trembling-wing Fly had a habit of walking up and down branches and is quite characteristic with it's wing shape and position while the Common Awl Robberfly, Neoitamus cyanurus, has caught a fly species.

Gi

1. Dor Beetle
2. Palloptera muliebris
3. Palloptera muliebris
4. Tiger Crane Fly
5. Common Awl Robberfly

Attachments

• Dor Beetle.jpg
    Dor Beetle.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Palloptera muliebris.jpg
    Palloptera muliebris.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Palloptera muliebris_1.jpg
    Palloptera muliebris_1.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Tiger Crane Fly.jpg
    Tiger Crane Fly.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Common Awl Robberfly.jpg
    Common Awl Robberfly.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 85
I saw a female stag beetle outside the Lattice Barn, Ipswich on Wednesday. A quick mid week look, when on a run, at Landseer Park, Ipswich failed to produce any marbled whites. Who says blokes can't multi-task. I managed to combine drinking and wildlife watching one night and running with wildlife watching another night! And a friend told me there are now 'masses' of silver-studded blues at Purdis Heath.

Last edited:
Plenty of silver-studded blues at Purdis today + rather a lot of butterfly watchers! Failed to see any white admiral at Bentley Woods, but I did see my first ringlets of the year.

Going slightly off topic, any Suffolk wildlife watchers who are keen to into lift sharing for out of country wildlife watching please do get in touch.

Hello all,
Nice to see the birth of this thread. Im looking forward to some time back home this Summer.

Does anyone know of the status and or whereabouts of Purple Emperor in Theberton woods? Went out of Anglia for this stunner last year, perhaps no need. Also keen on reliable White-letter Hairstreak site if anyone can help.

Cheers,
Jim.

Does anyone know of the status and or whereabouts of Purple Emperor in Theberton woods? Went out of Anglia for this stunner last year, perhaps no need.
Cheers,
Jim.

The purple emperors have been introduced at Theberton Woods.

The range for the species decreased considerably in the 20th Century, becoming extinct in East Anglia.

After the B1125 Yoxford Road / B1122 Westleton Road junction turn right down Pretty Road and parking for a few cars near the entrance on the left.
A short walk to where the butterflies have been seen this weekend.

The purple emperors have been introduced at Theberton Woods.

The range for the species decreased considerably in the 20th Century, becoming extinct in East Anglia.

After the B1125 Yoxford Road / B1122 Westleton Road junction turn right down Pretty Road and parking for a few cars near the entrance on the left.
A short walk to where the butterflies have been seen this weekend.

Paul

Do you know how many were seen this weekend?

I will say that I've found them considerably less co-operative here than in Northamptonshire.

Paul

Do you know how many were seen this weekend?

I will say that I've found them considerably less co-operative here than in Northamptonshire.

At least three were seen.
Not by me. If good birds are about at nearby Minsmere a visit to both is in order.

My best ever views at the Northants site in 2010. Including the attached male on the track

Attachments

• P1020318 copy.jpg
    P1020318 copy.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 121
I was allowed limited wildlife watching today, due to it being my wedding anniversary, but I did see a, very fresh looking, white admiral near Tangham, Rendlesham Forest. Also in the area a few four-spot chasers and an emperor.

Came across this micro moth in the garden, Cosmopterix zieglerella, a local species with the caterpillar that mines in hop leaves.

Gi

Attachments

• Cosmopterix zieglerella.jpg
    Cosmopterix zieglerella.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Cosmopterix zieglerella_1.jpg
    Cosmopterix zieglerella_1.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 94
Technically in Cambridgeshire, but only a few metres over the border, lots of chalkhill blues and several marbled whites at Devil's Dyke today. The lizard orchids were still in reasonable condition.

7 white admirals at Bentley Old Hall woods today. Failed to find any white-legged damselflies on the Stour, near Bures and Sudbury. If anyone knows any reliable Suffolk (or north Essex) sites I'd love to know.

Hey Steve

The only place I've seen White-legged Damselfly was on Mersea around the edge of the 2 fishing ponds just after you cross the strood. The ponds can be accessed from the layby on the right fork towards W Mersea.

Are the Lizard Orchids easy to locate at Devils Dyke?

Cheers

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back