• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1.4TC - which model for 500/f4 ? (1 Viewer)

Musoman

PETE - Nikon/Sony Shooter
United Kingdom
Looking for a Nikkor AF1.4 TC for my 500 f4 AF-S Mk2 D. I think this lens is the one previous to the VR model.

So, which of Nikkor 1.4 TC's should i be looking at ? I use the D610

I believe there's the AF-l , ll , and lll ... is there a model of those 3 that will allow CH AF setting ?

Thanks !

Thanks Ken

Seems that the AF-1 TC14E and TC-14E ll are the ones. The Mk 3 is a no no.

Also, i've found out that i cannot use CH AF setting, only single shot S

Just coming back to this thread, since i purchased the TC14E-ll , but i'm getting weird behaviour.

The lens AF focuses ok one minute, and then doesn't. I've removed the TC to make sure that all is ok without the TC and everything is focusing fine.

Put the TC back on some days later, and AF focusing works for a few shots, then stops again. Again, i take the TC off and everything is fine.

First thing to do was to clean all contacts - camera body , ( D610 ) lens, and TC, but this has never cured the problem.

Anyone have any ideas ? I'm assuming the fault lies with the TC, because everything is fine without it, but since i bought this TC model due to the excellent reviews, i'm disappointed that it only works randomly, which means i cannot rely on it all, so i no longer bother taking it out with me on any bird shoots any more

Just coming back to this thread, since i purchased the TC14E-ll , but i'm getting weird behaviour.

The lens AF focuses ok one minute, and then doesn't. I've removed the TC to make sure that all is ok without the TC and everything is focusing fine.

Put the TC back on some days later, and AF focusing works for a few shots, then stops again. Again, i take the TC off and everything is fine.

First thing to do was to clean all contacts - camera body , ( D610 ) lens, and TC, but this has never cured the problem.

Anyone have any ideas ? I'm assuming the fault lies with the TC, because everything is fine without it, but since i bought this TC model due to the excellent reviews, i'm disappointed that it only works randomly, which means i cannot rely on it all, so i no longer bother taking it out with me on any bird shoots any more

Is it hunting or just not working? At f/5.6 on a d610 you might need to limit it to the center AF points. If it is in bright lighting (e.g. daylight) then there's probably something wrong with the TC. You could call or email Nikon service about it.

From Ken Rockwell's review, "The only gotcha with the D610 and D600 is that their AF systems go blind in very low light, demanding the use of their AF illuminators. If it gets very dark without the AF illuminator ON, their AF systems don't focus." (https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d610.htm). Going from f/4 to f/5.6 is 1/2 the amount of light for the AF system to use.

Marc

Hi Marc

It's not hunting - it works once or twice properly, then the AF refuses to AF.
I have already cleaned the contacts as stated, and i'm already using the centre AF points ( 9 )

Also, i only used the lens and TC in bright light, so i think you're right in that it appears that the TC is somehow faulty

Hi Marc

It's not hunting - it works once or twice properly, then the AF refuses to AF.
I have already cleaned the contacts as stated, and i'm already using the centre AF points ( 9 )

Also, i only used the lens and TC in bright light, so i think you're right in that it appears that the TC is somehow faulty

If you have some other lens it would work with (something with the right notch so it physically fits), I'd try that combo as a diagnostic to try and see if its the lens or the TC. It sounds like you're doing the right thing as far as AF and lighting.

If you live near a Nikon authorized retailer, you could also try calling them and describe the problem. Maybe they have other cameras and lenses you could come in and try with the TC to help narrow down the problem. The TC-14eii is listed as compatible with the 500 f/4d (both versions). I doubt it's the camera or lens, but you never know.

Not that I think it matters, but are you on the current firmware (v1.03, 2018-06-12)?

I'd open a case on the nikon website, describe it as you did here. They are pretty responsive and might help with diagnostics before sending something in. At least nikonusa is, I don't have experience with the UK outfit. I know some people (like Ken Rockwell, who I quoted above) report poor experiences with nikon support compared to canon, but I've always gotten ok service from them when I send something in for repair, and I'm just a regular user not NPS.

Marc

Unfortunately, my other camera is a D7000 and i don't think it would work with that body. I did try it and it didn't work, but of course if the TC wasn't working, then i wouldn't know.

There is no Nikon SC near me.

I checked the firmware, and yes i needed the updated files ( 2 of ) and i have now done this. It's pitch black outside right now as it's 3.45 am, so i will try again when it's light outside.

I'll probably look for a TC14E -ll as a replacement, but it's gamble buying another TC , just in case it could be the D610 or the Nikkor 500 / 4 that's the problem.

If a Nikon SC could fix the TC, i'm sure it would cost as much as buying another TC. Everything here is more expensive than the USA.

Last edited:
AFAIK, the tc14eii + 500mm f/4d should work ok on the 7000. The d7000 has a focus motor -- it does work with the lens without the TC, right?

In the US, normally you fill out a form and mail in the thing to repair and Nikon will then send you (email) an estimate. If you say "no" then you just pay the return shipping. It's probably worth a try on the TC.

Marc

You're right. The 500/4 works fine on the D7000 body without TC, though it doesn't with TC attached.

I'll check with a UK Nikon service centre and see what happens - cheers Marc

I took your advice and contacted Nikon approved repair centre in London

Ouch !!

Seems the shop i bought this from sold me a dud. It was a used item

As for the repair, thanks but no thanks

Attachments

• tc14e.jpg
    tc14e.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 28
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back