• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars Poll - What format do you prefer ( 8x32, 10x50 etc. ) (1 Viewer)

What binocular format do you prefer

• 6x30

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 6x32

• 6x40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7x30

• 7x32

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 7x40

• 7x42

Votes: 29 8.6%
  • 7x43

• 7x50

• 8x21

• 8x25

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 8x30

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • 8x32

Votes: 73 21.7%
  • 8x35

• 8x40

• 8x42

Votes: 85 25.2%
  • 8.5x42

Votes: 28 8.3%
  • 8x43

• 8x44

• 8x50

• 8x52

• 8x56

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 10x25

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 10x32

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • 10x40

• 10x42

Votes: 47 13.9%
  • 10x43

• 10x44

• 10x50

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 10x52

• 10x56

• 12x50

• 12x56

• Leica Duovid

• Variable Magnification Binoculars

• 10.5x42

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
Another fun poll, this time which binocular format do you prefer.
With a limited number of options there will be a few omissions, but if you have a format not in the poll, please share it in the thread below.

Andy,

You left out a few popular formats:

6x26 (Bushnell Custom)

6.5x32 (EO Kingbird)

7x26 (Bushnell Custom)

7x35 (Many Porros)

8x20 (Many pockets)

8.5x44 (Swift Audubon)

Also, the survey doesn't support multiple inputs, at least on my screen.

Ed

Last edited:
That was really hard for me to answer....it's dependent on several factors as to which I'll head out the door with

You ask “What binocular formats do you own” (plural) but it is only possible to choose one format.

Niels Kristian

Would like to complete, but as mentioned, only allows for one entry. Perhaps it should be which binocular format do you use the most? Even with a fairly lengthy selection list, some would hopefully put down the nearest as it has to be limited in options.

Pat

Like many I use a bit of a variety but if I had to pin down one particular format which I could use happily across the board and tbere could only be one choice it would be an 8x32.

Like many I use a bit of a variety but if I had to pin down one particular format which I could use happily across the board and tbere could only be one choice it would be an 8x32.

I think 8x42 is a better all around format, but the lighter weight 8x32 is the one I use the most.

edj

I think 8x42 in real life is the optimum or 8x32 for "hobbyists". Owning some 10x50 (Docter Nobilem 10x50) myself I personally like this format most. Good during both day or night, good at long distance and very good optical quality - but heavy.

I think 8x42 is a better all around format, but the lighter weight 8x32 is the one I use the most.

edj

I go between 8x25, 8x32, 7x42 and 8x42 (I'll add to that my massive Fujinon 7x50 IF from time to time on certain occasions but these really aren't typical birding binoculars) for me the 8x32 represents the most versatility across the board (in the same way of thinking as size/weight vs overall viewing performance).

Last edited:
The stats are interesting - we have mainly people who prefer something 7-8-8.5-10x40-42 and then the singular 8x32.

On the basis of this data, it looks like the model people here would really want is a zoom 7-10x42. Maybe that is the Duovid Leica should have made.

What would be interesting to know is the data for those who are not on this forum. In particular there are the marine, hunting, travel and safari, law enforcement and military markets and of course those who just own a binocular because it's something you're supposed to have in a family. and eg. bring to an outdoor event.

Edmund

With glasses I only use 8x42. I have the good Nikons plus a sport store 8x42. I can use an 8x32 I still have. All the rest, some 10x42s, are just to lend to people.

In my bike bag I may have a 8x25 for rare moments on bike. For the unexpected bird. I bird by bike also, with 8x42s.

My Nebraska 265 birds were all found with the Nikons or a scope.

Last edited:
What would be interesting to know is the data for those who are not on this forum. In particular there are the marine, hunting, travel and safari, law enforcement and military markets and of course those who just own a binocular because it's something you're supposed to have in a family. and eg. bring to an outdoor event.

Edmund

Edmund there a plenty of people like this who are members of this forum.
Birdforum members are a much wider bunch of folks than just hard-core birders.

Lee

Troubador,

While I have no faith in either politicians or statistics, I can see the marine sites full of 7x50 glasses and no one here (zero, zilch, nada, 0% on the poll, at the time of typing) prefer using them => see above. From which I infer that we are not the place people who place priority on marine use do gather.

Edmund

Edmund,

I for one am not at all interested in a zoom binocular, far too fussy to use when birdwatching, aviation or general observation. I also use two other larger objective binos in addition to my go to 8x32, one of them being a x7.

P

Looks like 8x32 is the most popular format for birding. 8x32 is perfect for most birders. You don't need an 8x42 99% of the time and 8x32's are much lighter and more compact. Also, there are a lot of 8x32 binoculars to choose from. Funny Zeiss has never made an 8x32 SF. Well maybe they will. There is definitely a market for it.

The original survey was modified midstream to allow only one selection when it originally asked for multiple selections. Several folks commented on this, but, like me, were apparently stuck with whatever their first selection happened to be. Since 8x32 appears earlier in the list than 8x42, it may be that this biased the results in its favor. I noted on post #2 that 6x25, 7x26, 7x35, 8x20, and 8.5x44 were missing even though many famous birding binoculars have these configurations. Moreover, 19 of the 36 configurations that were included had zero responses. Finally, although the question at hand was "What binocular configuration do you prefer," the preference could be for any use, e.g., Birding, Hunting, Nature, Travel, etc.

I wouldn't be too quick to draw momentous conclusions here. :smoke:

Ed

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back