• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orkney - good spots to go on the mainland? (1 Viewer)

I'm heading up to Orkney for work on Wednesday and wondered if anyone had any recommendations for birdwatching spots within a half hour drive of Kirkwall.

I've been up before (and stupidly forgot my bins!!) and managed to get an hour at Orphir and Houton but time was a bit tight so hanging around wasn't an option. I did get a Snow Goose and Hen Harrier tick so it wasn't a complete disaster! |=)| I should hopefully have a wee bit more time on Wednesday though and I'm hoping I'll get most of the afternoon to potter about.

I'll have the car so I was thinking about heading to Mull Head LNR for starters and then maybe on to Stenness and Hannay. Are there any other 'must do's'?

I don't know if you've looked in Opus - HERE's a link to the various articles.

If they don't respond soon, try giving Dafi or Tim Wootton a nudge by PM - I'm sure they'll be happy to advise you.

D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back