• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glen Esk (1 Viewer)

sdoig

Going for a trip up Glen Esk this week with Arbroath Birder.

Couple of questions for you all!!

When I go up (usually with my faither) the non driver keeps an eye out (everywhere) and we stop (if its safe!!) if he sees something interesting.

We always have a good stop at Tarfside - a walk through the woods and also theres a house with a feeder which is worth a quick nosy!! :)

We then proceed slowly up to the Car park near Loch Lee and walk the one bank of the Loch , then (if its bonny) on to the wee ruined cottage, coz its frequented by House Martins.

Are there other other wee 'hot spots' on the way, that people would be willing to share?

Also, what migrants do you think HAVEN'T arrived at the Glen yet, as I know we are just on the cusp!

I'm guessing we're a fraction too early for Tree Pipit, Cuckoo and Redstart, but I suppose anythings possible!!

Gosh that brought back some memories - I haven't been up Glen Esk for years. I worked at Tarfside for a few weeks, but wasn't a bird watcher then... but did watch a Cuckoo flying over (think it was a first for me).

I actually prefer Glen Prosen, as being less 'touristy', so can't really help you much I'm afraid.

D

I'm guessing we're a fraction too early for Tree Pipit, Cuckoo and Redstart, but I suppose anythings possible!!

Tree pipits are back on territory on Deeside and Redstarts have been reported (although I've not heard/seen any yet myself), so probably not too early for these over the hill.

Ring Ouzle have been seen already, so you might be lucky. last year we had them on the right, at the start of the loch.

Glen prossen is pretty quiet at the moment...red grouse and possible ravens.

Darell

Had a great day out with Arbroath Birder.

First stop we had we found a Red Kite being harrassed by a couple of Mistle Thrush (the big bairn)

The Glen was packed with countless Wheatear, Meadow Pipit & Pied Wagtail.

Stop at Tarfside, watched the Sand Martin excavating their nestholes for a while.

Down from there to the River and found 3 Dipper.

Walking from the car park through the woods towards Loch lee. First came across a Pipit. Had to study our field guides coz they are a pain in the bum sometimes, but we had a positive ID on it being a Tree Pipit. Closer to the Loch 2 or 3 Redstarts were about, but very flighty so we never got a great look.

On to the Loch itself, I had high hopes for Ring Ouzel, but you canny have it all!!

Couple of Common Sandpiper near the graveyard were showing well. Had a wee stop so Ian could have his denner, and noticed a tiny speck on the upper horizon. Had agood look , and it couldn't have been anything but a Golden eagle!! - nice one!

Down nearer the end of the Loch we found a single Whinchat perched on a post, and amongst the trees at the ruined cottage there was a Redpoll in clear view. Heading back along the bank, an Osprey was showing well, getting bugged by a common Gull.

Eventually back on the road, a couple of Red Grouse were showing very well in a patch of moorland.

Had a quick look at east end of Forfar Loch. Usual suspects there including 3 Great Crested Grebe really close in and looking smart as usual!! Also found a Sedge Warbler making its very distinctive racket in a scrubby bush.

Great day!

That certainly sounds like you had a super day - what with Redstarts, Ring Ouzel and Whinchat.... my word.

D

We had a cracking day, with five new species for me.

Hopefully going camping at Tarfside in May. Really looking forward to covering this area in greater detail.

Ok, a couple days camping at Tarfside coming up this weekend.

Will be with some in-laws so really looking forward to disappearing to do some birding.

Well ended up rained off for most of Saturday but still some highlights.

Arrived at Tarfside at 6pm on Friday. Had the camp set up by 7pm. Cuckoo heard during this. Had a visit by some chaffinch close by the tent and wheatear and pied wagtail not far away. Oystercatchers and curlews were in the field nearby. Not long after this an osprey appeared over the field then flew towards the river. About half an hour later had a red kite which flew low over the tent. Everyone noted the forked tail. Then the osprey appeared again hovering over the field and tent. Quite amazing! Also lots of sandmartin flying around the campsite.

Little sleep had on Friday night with lots of oystercatcher, cuckoo and smaller birds singing during the night.

Saturday had a walk up to Loch Lee. As with in laws couldnt stop as much as I would like but did see a whinchat and had a ring ouzel just before the loch.

Back at the campsite had three buzzard circling overhead.

Then the heavens opened which lasted until Sunday morning. Had a glimpse of the cuckoo while packing up the tent then some more buzzards low over the field.

Plenty mistle thrush seen throughout my stay.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back