• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

Stanford Wharf; The Nightingales were not singing last Wednesday & Thursday at least I could not hear them. One was back singing really loudly this evening, I could hear it over a hundred metres away. Another might have just been doing the high pitch call & there was some deep clicking.

I was giving up lol. I had given up and was checking for a Kingfisher when I heard the singing of a Nightingale. It was by the road at Stanford Warren. Great!

Finally a pair of Kingfisher in Birmingham lol.
Back down Stanford Wharf today a Nightingale was singing at approx 4.30 today, when I came back at 6.30 there was still singing.
I reckon it could be two, one just calling the other singing. Great!

Stanford Wharf; Kingfisher again. Several Swifts overhead. Little Egret back on the creek. Starlings starting to gather. Great!

Some great, warm, muggy evenings down Stanford Warren. It's a struggle to run round Thurrock Thameside. The Kingfisher was in the same trees by the lake again. Skylarks calling & doing their up & down song flight. More screaming Swifts this evening. The last Cuckoo calls were Monday & Starling numbers are increasing.

So the Stanford Warren Kingfisher has gone missing again lol.
A Cuckoo was still calling this evening. Yesterday my first ever juvenile Cuckoo. It just sat there going zzz.
Another Water Vole at the other end of the creek.

Finally the Kingfisher made a reappearance at Stanford Warren. Also a Common Tern & the odd Swallow, House Martins. A quick run around Thurrock Thameside NR for a couple Skylarks.
It was a nice evening so a quick visit to Grays Gorge/Chaffford Gorge and a quick couple Kingfisher calling. KF size fish in the water & the odd Swift, Swallow, House Martin & Cormorant overhead.

On Tuesday at Stanford Warren the Kingfisher stopped near me and dived for a couple fish. When it stops in a tree it gives a single call. Yesterday I just heard it call. It is quite active on the lakes.

Kingfisher yesterday & today Stanford Warren. There are a few juvenile Green Woodpecker on the paths. There always were GWP on the field to the left of the entrance to TTNP.

A pair of Kingfisher yesterday at Stanford Warren. They were flying around calling to each other, then fishing.
Then I though there might be more, I heard a pair calling on the Wharf lake and one of them was flying over the road to the main lake a couple times.

Stanford Warren; a Kingfisher flew over my shoulder lol.
Also I missed possible Kingfisher fledglings on the 9th July. One of the dog walkers saw them. Second time in the past few years he has seen fledglings.

The Kingfisher at Stanford Warren then my first one of the year at Mucking Sluice. Good views of a Water Vole on the creek.

A Kingfisher again yesterday down Stanford Warren.
I saw my first snake swimming in the lake.
Last week I saw a Water Vole on the lakes.
Around TTNP there were a few Swallows & their chicks were calling.

At Stanford Warren on Monday the Kingfisher flew through.
This evening one was fishing. It stopped right in front of me.
Swallows & House Martins over the Wharf.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back