• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker? (1 Viewer)

mae_south

I live in the northern Florida panhandle. Is it possible that I'm seeing yellow-bellied sapsucker on a large oak tree outside my balcony? I've looked in my bird ID book and it doesn't look like other common north Florida woodpeckers. It has a distinctive white white wing stripe and it doesn't have a white belly, but rather a light brown/tan mottled belly. It also has a little white under it's chin. Looking at the book, I think it might be a female? (sorry I don't have a photo)

Very much sounds like you're describing a yellow-bellied sapsucker, probably female: The female has a white chin, the male has red. (Both also have a very thin white line [sometimes yellow in males] below a small black bib, not always easy to see). Belly color is a bit variable, from most angles it'll look mottled (there's a white patch at very center which would be hidden when the bird is perched). The shape of the white wing stripe is distinctive. (Except for two western sapsuckers, not at all likely to be found in Florida.)

North florida is well within winter range, no difficulty there.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back