• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bean bag template - request (1 Viewer)

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
United Kingdom
Saw a very useful link on BF for a d.i.y. double bean bag and thought I would have a go at making one, but cannot find it. Anyone help please...it was a photography site in the USA. Thank you.

Where?

I used to have one but lost it and have not got round to buy another, apart from the fact that they are really expensive for a bit of cloth. Just saw your thread and thought great idea.

I was not going to bother you for the link as I mean.. how hard can it be? bean bag, making, hit search. ok now try adding camera, then sewing........... How long did it take you? I have just spent 20 minutes and not even come close:C

Last edited:
Just came across this post while looking for something else. Although you probably don't need it now, I suspect the link you're looking for is here-
http://www.web-nat.com/bic/ont/tips26.html

Perhaps others would like to check it out.
You can find this link on my web site here-
http://www.outerbanksguidebook.com/TripodCover.htm
--way down at the bottom of the page. I made one for myself some time back. I have to say, the "diagram" they provide is not very clear, but I finally figured it out. Mine works pretty well, even on my 500mm IS Canon, especially on the car door. There are other homemade ideas for bird/nature photographers on my web site as well.

Why are bean bags made so both grooves going the same way wouldent it be better it one grove went from left to right and the other groove from front to back then it would be better supported as left to right groove would fit along the car window and the front to back would support the lens just seems it would be better but stand corrected if there is a reason for them being both the same direction

Hmm. Hey 666taz, your logic is good. It does seem to be a logical alternative. The problem I see is the extra complexity of designing and sewing one like that. If somebody comes up with a pattern, I'll try it myself. I probably need to make a larger anyway, now that I have a larger lens, though the beanbag I have does pretty good. I just took delivery of a larger vehicle for my photo trips, so I finally have room to carry and reach my equipment in the front seat, even a large beanbag - Whoopee!

Hi i made a plan for the new style bean bag and made one the pics are on this link http://www.flickr.com/photos/74971717@N00/ the bean bag is about 8 1/2 inches square the lens on it is my canon 100-400mm just to let you see how big it is or small which ever you think you can make it bigger but you would have to make the plans bigger to suit your needs hope you can undersand them all measurements are in inches when finished you have to sew the middle through the grooves together to make it wedged shaped or it looses its shape hope this helps and good luck if you have a go

Last edited:
As my contribution to your new design, I've re-drawn the pattern and made it a little easier to read. The image is here. Please comment if I've mislabled anything. I've not had time to make one yet, but I have material handy and will sew one up as soon as I have a chance.

As a clarification, do you mean the bottom of the "V's" must ve sewn together where they cross? It doesn't look like they will stitch to anything anywhere else but in the middle where they cross.

I plan to scale up the size a bit, maybe 10x10 or 12x12.

Hi yes i did mean where the v's cross,sorry about that.Very good pattern,i tried doing that but havent got the software or knowhow to get it to look like yours.Thanks for the clear diagram.One thing i did miss out is you need to put a zip in so you can fill it,but i think thats a bit obvious lol cheers.

This pattern works good for me. My wife made me one and I love it, stays on the front seat of the truck within easy reach. Thanks for posting the pattern.

Silly question but can anyone advise me what they use as a bean bag filler. I am uncertain whether to for the lightweight polystyrene balls or something like corn.

Bob

Hi, Bob. I've been using dried pinto beans. Seems to be the cheapest thing I can find in the stores. You don't want to use corn. You want something smoother. Dried corn isn't very roundish, and you want the filling to be able to flow easily inside the bag. If you can find something lighter in weight like the polystyrene balls, I'd try that, though you don't want the bag too light. It needs to have a little weight to it so it will stay put.

You might try a mixture of the two to save some weight when you need to drag it around with you, but I'd even consider making two - one mostly for the vehicle window, where a heavy bag won't have far to be moved - and another one with the lighter filler for when you need to pack it on foot. I've never tried the poly fill because I couldn't find where to get it, but I'm very tempted to try it if I could find a source.

Fred
Thank you. I have got the poly balls from a local shop that makes up curtains, sells fabric etc. In the Uk are referred to as bean bag beans (obviously designed for the large sit on bean bags).

bob

Bob:

I used the poly or plastic beads in my bag. It works well on the truck window. I purchased them at a WalMart. I don't remember the size of the bag but I purchased 3 bags but think I needed one more. I am going to open the bag and add a few more beads. Hope this helps.

I had thought about checking the goodwill and 2nd hand shops to find an old bean bag chair cheap that I could rob of filling, but never got around to it. I would love to know what the weight difference really is between the poly balls and dried beans of the same volume. I designed my large bean bag so it took 12 pounds of beans to fill it whereas other designs of the same size take 16 pounds. If I could get that weight down to perhaps 8 pounds using poly balls, that would effectively cut the normal weight in half compared to similar sized bean bags. That would certainly be worthwhile in practical terms.

MrBobb, there are three designs that have been covered in this thread. The original subject of the thread was concerning a pattern that was originally found at this location (http://www.web-nat.com/bic/ont/tips26.html), however that site is defunct. I managed to find the new location for the pattern by Scott Fairbairn. There are photos of two bags I made from the pattern and a link to it on my bean bag page here - http://naturephotography.fredhurteau.com/EquipmentNotes2.htm

666TAZ then posted a pattern diagram which I redrew neatly and posted above in this thread. My drawing of his pattern is available here - http://www.fredhurteau.com/download/beanbag_pattern2.jpg

I have no other instructions for his bean bag design other than his post above. Then later I designed a larger bean bag which is described here - http://naturephotography.fredhurteau.com/bbagballhead.htm
with full instructions, pattern, etc. located here - -http://naturephotography.fredhurteau.com/bbbhowto.htm

Hope this gets you started.

I had thought about checking the goodwill and 2nd hand shops to find an old bean bag chair cheap that I could rob of filling, but never got around to it. I would love to know what the weight difference really is between the poly balls and dried beans of the same volume. I designed my large bean bag so it took 12 pounds of beans to fill it whereas other designs of the same size take 16 pounds. If I could get that weight down to perhaps 8 pounds using poly balls, that would effectively cut the normal weight in half compared to similar sized bean bags. That would certainly be worthwhile in practical terms.

This bag of polystyrene beads (which, as you can see, is about 20 inches high) weighs about 1 pound 3 ounces.

Bill

Attachments

• 302_6429.jpg
    302_6429.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 207
Good information, Watts. Thanks. It would seem that using the poly balls in my 12 pound bean bag of pinto beans would create a bean bag in which the material for the bag would weigh more than the filler. I might have to tether the thing to my lens to keep it from blowing away in a light breeze ;) I could just velcro the thing with a strap around the lens and keep track of it that way.3:)

Maybe a mixture of part rice and part poly balls would give it just a little heft.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back