• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hide clamp or table tripod? (1 Viewer)

Topaz

Hi all,

I just bought my first scope the other day and am now considering all the peripherals I want or need. However, since this is a business where very few can afford everything at once, I wanted to take some considered advice on where I should go first for equipment.

Firstly, the scope is a Hawke Endurance ED 65mm. Weighs a couple of Kilos. I have a tripod which my photographer partner uses (although not for birding) so I'm relatively sorted on that front until I work out how I'm going be mostly using the scope on a tripod and what features and characteristics I need from it long term.

However, I envisage that a lot of the time I'll be using the scope from a hide. As far as I can see I have 2 main choices for gear in this respect: A hide clamp or a table top mini-tripod. What are people's opinions and what do you use?

Things I'm considering:

• Price - clamps seem to be much more expensive...
  • Portability - How small do they fold up?
  • Ease of use - How easy is it to assemble (from folded) and use are they?
  • Functionality - Is the mini-tripod going to constantly be falling over?
  • Universality - Do people find some hides where the clamps don't fit? Or where the shelf is too narrow for a tripod?

I'd also be very happy to take any suggestions for good makes and models to look for!

As usual, thanks to all in advance!

T

Last edited:
Personally, I have considered a clamp several times and always decided against it as it is yet another piece of equipment to carry and I'm sure that after a few uses it will be left at home unused in order to reduce the total weight of the kit I'm carrying.
Also, a shelf in a hide is prone to movement/vibration from other users leaning on and knocking the shelf. Of course the same is true of a timber floor but many hides have concrete floors and are solid for a tripod base.
If a hide is not busy one can always put up a full size tripod and stand, if you want/have to sit down,a scope can be hand held and rested on the window edge.

I would save some weight and some cash and out that cash towards a decent full size tripod.

Hi

I use an Opticron BC-2 hide clamp that I keep permanently attached to the centre column of my tripod (actually my second one as the first was stolen from a hide when I stupidly forgot it - even though I went back to the hide about 10 minutes later - not a good feeling!). I agree that vibration from the shelf in some hides can be a problem but I can usually solve that by locking the body of the scope (or the lens hood) against the lower part of the window frame - pretty rock solid. It also weighs next to nothing. £29 well spent.

Martin

Thanks both. Decent advice on the shaking desk. And for £29 a hide clamp doesn't seem too much to spend.

Sucks to have stuff taken from a hide. I've seen people leave backpacks full of gear in hides and them stay there for hours. We're usually a pretty trustworthy lot...

I'll probably be shopping long enough to have visited some hides with no stand and see if I could live without one.

T

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back