• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (1 Viewer)

The Bowers Marsh Black-winged Stilts were reported again this morning, 5.30am, but again seem to have flown off, or at least to an area that is not publicly visible.

Also to add to the years Grasshopper Warbler tally a new bird is at Wakering Stairs at the western end.

overall a slow weekend on birding locally though

Another red kite over us in Kelvedon yesterday, a distant bird heading south-west, probably following the A12. The fourth record I've had locally this year.

A spotted flycatcher this morning was a new arrival - definitely not around yesterday as I was working in the garden all day and the only interesting bird was the kite. Really pleased to get it on the garden list and I hope it'll stick around. Away from Autumn passage I find this a difficult bird to catch up with in Essex.

Stilts reported at Bowers Marsh again late yesterday.

Glaucous Gull was again reported from there as well despite there being a hybrid bird present for many weeks. This hybrid bird looks 'very' Glaucous Gull like and has nearly caught me out several times until I have really paid it attention and looked at it very closely.

I can understand why this bird would be reported as a Glaucous, even if seen at reasonably close range, as I said above it is very very Glaucous like, but there are subtle plumage characteristics that give the game away as a non pure Glaucous.

It has diluted Herring Gull wing coverts, scapulars and tertial pattern, dark tips to the greater primary coverts (visible on spreadwings) and dull pink legs.

Its plumage tones are pallid, ie as in Glaucous Gull, and the bill is pale pinkish with black tip, as per Glaucous but the black on the bill tip bleeds back along the lower mandible far to much to be from a pure Glauc.

As mentioned these are subtle features which on a bird a range would be difficult to determine thus my understanding of it being reported as a Glauc but because of this bird, and a lingering leucistic (white) Herring Gull claims of Glaucous Gull from Bowers, should be made with caution and should be convincing as to why its not this bird.

Elsewhere the Grasshopper Warbler at Wakering Stairs was hyper elusive last night but several notables were around whilst waiting: Nightingales, Cuckoos, Turtle Doves, Hobby and at least 70+ Sanderlings, some in stunning full summer plumage. Smart.

A spotted flycatcher this morning was a new arrival - definitely not around yesterday as I was working in the garden all day and the only interesting bird was the kite. Really pleased to get it on the garden list and I hope it'll stick around. Away from Autumn passage I find this a difficult bird to catch up with in Essex.
They do seem to have become increasingly difficult in the SOG area as a spring bird, they used to nest in Priory Park but not for a number of years now. We now rely on autumn to get birds but the primary spot for these in Gunners Park has now been torn up for 'development' :C We'll see if we still get them in the general area come August.

And a Glaucous Gull is reported 'again' at Bowers Marsh this morning.

Is there a 'real' Glaucous Gull there and it is different to the very Glaucous Gull like hybrid that is known to be present? Or is it people seeing the very Glaucous Gull like hybrid and naturally putting it down as a Glaucous Gull (because they are not looking at it closely enough) and because it has a very similar appearance.

This hybrid bird could be a second generation offspring thus resulting in increased Glauc appearance / influence, or a first generation hybird where the glauc genes are really dominant that make it look overall glauc like and dilute the Herring Gull genes, or it is a Glaucous Gull that show some non typical plumage characteristics to the scaps, tertials and coverts and bill etc giving a hybrid feel to it.

Happy to be proven wrong and that is a Glauc as I had far to many controversial gulls on the tip this winter. Overall wish this bird would actually go away.

Last edited:
Can we all have a whip round for Martin Peers please, you can see the man works most days with absolute accuracy. He doesnt let politics or possible miss calls bother him, he just remains a pure value in the hobby.

About 6 months ago, a report came in on Brookes of the Marsh Tit, so naturally, being my most local spot, I went, I searched, I saw no Marsh tit, I wondered how I could miss it, but after weeks of trying, sure enough, the guy was right. As mentioned before by others in the thread he is an absolute asset. Rather than worry about the existence of a bird or the fallibility of others, lets remember Martin, he just keeps on keeping on.

Seems spring is coming to a slow end and its time to get the Heath Fritillaries out. Will start looking for this smart butterfly in my local woods soon to see who the populations have faired.

Butterflies

Plenty of Brimstones at the moment steve and for my personal experience of the local area there are more common blue than ever before this year.

Temminck's Stint at Bowers Marsh this early AM, hope to get down later but probably not till tomorrow. Another good local bird from here. Bowers rapidly becoming the SOG areas premier site.

Local butterflies have included a good number of Wall Brown at Bowers, Canvey, Wakering Stairs and Green Hairstreaks at Canvey. Heath Fritters will soon be out in Belfairs Wood, Hockley Wood, Pound Wood and Starvelarks Wood, these being amongst the premier locations in the country for this species, also found at Blean in Kent and a site in Devon I believe.

Weather is on/off with the sun so not sure if they are out yet or not but will go and look at one of the woods soon.

http://www.birdersplayground.co.uk/Heath Fritillary.html

my intended all day visit to Bowers Marsh in the aim of seeing 70+ species on and around the reserve failed, the duvet managed to keep me in bed past my 5am start time and I gave up on site at 5pm, still managed 9hours there though today. Highlights were the drake Garganey, 6+ adult Mediterranean Gulls and a Hobby (photo attachedl shame it was overcast when it went past). It was cold at times this morning and then warm early afternoon.

Attachments

• Hobby Upload 1.jpg
    Hobby Upload 1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 53
Good day at Abberton, didn't know Bill Oddie was going to be there so that was a nice surprise. Was awesome to see Sir David too.

3 Little Ringed Plovers and a Ringed Plover off LDH Causeway, Cuckoo and a Yellow Wagtail.

Attachments

• IMG_4877.JPG
    IMG_4877.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4882.JPG
    IMG_4882.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4909.JPG
    IMG_4909.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4923.JPG
    IMG_4923.JPG
    280.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5006.JPG
    IMG_5006.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 52
Good day at Abberton, didn't know Bill Oddie was going to be there so that was a nice surprise. Was awesome to see Sir David too.

3 Little Ringed Plovers and a Ringed Plover off LDH Causeway, Cuckoo and a Yellow Wagtail.

Brilliant stuff, I'd have loved to have been there, one of my old birding spots and a couple of people who inspired me to give it away for conservation.
I'd shake their hands and buy them a beer (or cuppa) if given half a chance. Hope you had a good time, hats off to Dave & Bill. o:)

Last edited:
Never a massive fan of Bill Oddie, but having seen how he kept his cup of tea even when some tramp accosted him in the last picture, well, it really does make you realise how well he has done.

Thanks again, glad someone is sharing the joy.

Did the late BBS visit yesterday morning, up Lamarsh way. Pretty quiet, especially compared to the early visit. I know lots of stuff will be a bit quieter at the moment, but both visits lacked cuckoos, only had one yellowhammer, no turtle dove, no spot fly... actually, unless you really like whitethroats and blackcaps, it was a bit disappointing. Pretty, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back