• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello (1 Viewer)

Johnnifer

Hello

Recently we have been taking more notice of the wildlife, manly birds, visiting our garden. So far we've seen

Blackbirds, one (Sid) very vicious with a V of whitish feathers on his back.
Magpies, one (Hoppy) with a withered left leg that hops across the lawn
Wood Pigeons, up to 4 pairs
Collared Doves, one pair (Limpy) limps
Feral Pigeons
Blue Tits
Coal Tits
Robins
Dunnocks (we think they're Dunnocks)
Starlings
House Sparrows
Green Woodpecker just one visit back in 2017
Carrion Crows
Jackdaw pair
Stock Dove pair with green collar
Red Legged Partridges, two
Grey Partridges, two
Ring Necked Pheasant

Today we saw what we think was a Kestrel. It walked across the lawn and into the border, then sat on top of a post for about 20 minutes. It took little notice of me as I walked across the lawn to photograph it but was very attentive to the rustling of other birds hiding out in the borders. Is this a kestrel?

Attachments

• Is this a kestrel.JPG
    Is this a kestrel.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

That said, I'm going to move your post to the Bird I D section of the forum. I've subscribed you to this thread so you will get an email when a suggestion is posted ;)

Hi Johnnifer and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Your bird is a Sparrowhawk, they rather typically walk on the ground and under bushes. Most unusual for a Kestrel to do that.

Thanks for the welcome and replies. Sparrowhawk has been added to the list of visitors to our garden. We've seen patches of bird feathers scattered across the lawn before now and always thought it was a cat, possible the sparrowhawk hunting/feeding in our garden. The sparrowhawk may also be responsible for Hoppy and Limpy the limp Magpie and Collared Dove we've seen over the last couple of years.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back