• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anatidae (1 Viewer)

Anas flavirostris

Graham, Lavretsky, Muñoz-Fuentes, Green, Wilson, McCracken. 2018. Migration-selection balance drives genetic differentiation in genes associated with high-altitude function in the Speckled Teal (Anas flavirostris) in the Andes. Genome Biol. Evol. 10:14–32.
[whole paper]

Eurasian wigeon deviation in wing pattern

This may not fit in perfectly here, but I don't know where else to put it, and given the fact that the contributors in this thread are highly interested in ducks and geese I might have a chance to get a qualified input to the issue here.
I shot the male wigeon in Denmark in December 2017 with the extra black bar on the wing (the right hand wing).
Wonder if anybody has seen this before? I never have, but got the idea that it could be a special feature in a part population somewhere. Any comment will be welcome.

By the way, I can't open the link that opens the thread here as it needs a pass word !

Attachments

• penelope (2).jpg
    penelope (2).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 71
This may not fit in perfectly here, but I don't know where else to put it, and given the fact that the contributors in this thread are highly interested in ducks and geese I might have a chance to get a qualified input to the issue here.
I shot the male wigeon in Denmark in December 2017 with the extra black bar on the wing (the right hand wing).
Wonder if anybody has seen this before? I never have, but got the idea that it could be a special feature in a part population somewhere. Any comment will be welcome.

By the way, I can't open the link that opens the thread here as it needs a pass word !

Here, you are in the "taxonomy" section , not sure there is a "Hunting" section on this website.

I am not looking for a "hunting forum" - I am just trying to find out, whether this unusual wing is a random mutation or is typical of some part population somewhere. Please tell me if there should be a better forum in here to get an answer. I just thought taxonomy would be the closest I could get to get an answer as it has a lot to do with plumage.

I am not looking for a "hunting forum" - I am just trying to find out, whether this unusual wing is a random mutation or is typical of some part population somewhere. Please tell me if there should be a better forum in here to get an answer. I just thought taxonomy would be the closest I could get to get an answer as it has a lot to do with plumage.

According to some friends "immature first year" (immature de première année, in French in the text) but I don't know the equivalent English term.

Ruddy Duck

Lozano-Jaramillo M., McCracken K.G. & Cadena C.D., in press. Neutral and functionally important genes shed light on phylogeography and the history of high-altitude colonization in a widespread New World duck. Ecol. Evol.

Here

Lavretsky P, DaCosta JM, Sorenson MD, McCracken KG, Peters JL. ddRAD‐seq data reveal significant genome‐wide population structure and divergent genomic regions that distinguish the mallard and close relatives in North America. Mol Ecol. 2019;28:2594–2609. https://doi.org/10.1111/mec.15091

Abstract:

Recently evolved species typically share genetic variation across their genomes due to incomplete lineage sorting and/or ongoing gene flow. Given only subtle allele frequency differences at most loci and the expectation that divergent selection may affect only a tiny fraction of the genome, distinguishing closely related species based on multi‐locus data requires substantial genomic coverage. In this study, we used ddRAD‐seq to sample the genomes of five recently diverged, New World “mallards” (Anas spp.), a group of dabbling duck species characterized by diagnosable phenotypic differences but minimal genetic differentiation. With increased genomic sampling, we aimed to characterize population structure within this group and identify genomic regions that may have experienced divergent selection during speciation. We analyzed 3,017 autosomal ddRAD‐seq loci and 177 loci from the Z‐chromosome. In contrast to previous studies, the ddRAD‐seq data were sufficient to assign individuals to their respective species or subspecies and to generate estimates of gene flow in a phylogenetic framework. We find limited evidence of contemporary gene flow between the dichromatic mallard and several monochromatic taxa, but find evidence for historical gene flow between some monochromatic species pairs. We conclude that the overall genetic similarity of these taxa likely reflects retained ancestral polymorphism rather than recent and extensive gene flow. Thus, despite recurring cases of hybridization in this group, our results challenge the current dogma predicting the genetic extinction of the New World monochromatic dabbling ducks via introgressive hybridization with mallards. Moreover, ddRAD‐seq data were sufficient to identify previously unknown outlier regions across the Z‐chromosome and several autosomal chromosomes that may have been involved in the diversification of species in this recent radiation.

Lavretsky P., Wilson R.E., Talbot S.L. & Sonsthagen S.A. (2021). Phylogenomics reveals ancient and contemporary gene flow contributing to the evolutionary history of sea ducks (Tribe Mergini)

Abstract
Insight into complex evolutionary histories continues to build through broad comparative phylogenomic and population genomic studies. In particular, there is a need to understand the extent and scale that gene flow contributes to standing genomic diversity and the role introgression has played in evolutionary processes such as hybrid speciation. Here, we investigate the evolutionary history of the Mergini tribe (sea ducks) by coupling multi-species comparisons with phylogenomic analyses of thousands of nuclear ddRAD-seq loci, including Z-sex chromosome and autosomal linked loci, and the mitogenome assayed across all extant sea duck species in North America. All sea duck species are strongly structured across all sampled marker types (pair-wise species ΦST >0.2), with clear genetic assignments of individuals to their respective species, and phylogenetic relationships recapitulate known relationships. Despite strong species integrity, we identify at least 18 putative hybrids; with all but one being late generational backcrosses. Most interesting, we provide the first evidence that an ancestral gene flow event between long-tailed ducks (Clangula hyemalis) and true Eiders (Somateria spp.) not only moved genetic material into the former species, but likely generated a novel species — the Steller’s eider (Polysticta stelleri) — via hybrid speciation. Despite generally low contemporary levels of gene flow, we conclude that hybridization has and continues to be an important process that shifts novel genetic variation between species within the tribe Mergini. Finally, we outline methods that permit researchers to contrast genomic patterns of contemporary versus ancestral gene flow when attempting to reconstruct potentially complex evolutionary histories.

I'm also interested by this paper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back