• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Blue Heron(strange behavior?) (1 Viewer)

MLoyko

d[-_-]b
Hey guys,

I was on a website, and so a guy posted this picture of a Great Blue Heron posing like this. He said he has been a nature photographer for over 20 years and has never seen one act like this. His description said the bird displayed like this for 20 minutes and made a sound like a crying baby. After 20 mins. it went back to usual posture.

I know this is probably not important but just wanted to know if if this is normal or something?

thanks,
Matt

Attachments

• heron053008a.jpg
    heron053008a.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 217
sunbathing - or trying to pick up satellite TV....

wing stretching in Cormorants is sometimes thought to be helpful in the digestion of large prey so maybe that's what this is all about too

Rob

It certainly looks like evidence that the birds descended from the dinosaurs.

BTW: I saw a (UK) blue heron act unusually once. I frequently cycle along the river here and often see herons. They typically fly away as I approach. One day a heron was on the same side of the river as I, but had a really big fish in its beak. It looked at me very carefully as I cycled past, and was clearly ready to fly away, but didn't. I always wondered if it was reluctant to scram and leave its dinner behind.

:-O Good one! :-O

I've had one like this too. No explanation that I know of.

It seems like this would be the only way for the Heron to expose the underside of its wings to the sun. So perhaps it is trying to dry the wings out, warm up, or kill off some sort of nasty (mildew or a parasite??).

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
I have certainly seen GBHs pose that way before and even have a photo of one. In my experience, it is a rare pose--and I see GBHs almost every day. I don't recall the bird making any unusual sounds while posed that way.

Jack

Attachments

• GreatBlueHeronPose.jpg
    GreatBlueHeronPose.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Not my favourite bird. Does what he should, scavenges all the minnows in my pond, wish he weren't so selfish and leave some fry to develop.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum ;)

It's all part of nature which has been going on long before we arrived on the scene ;)

I've also seen pics online of vultures in the same pose.

The explanation I've heard of is that sunlight on the underside of the flight feathers re-sets their shape after bending strain of long hours soaring supporting the bird's weight (no idea if this is true or not!).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back