• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What would you like to see on Springwatch? (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

Some species i would love to see:-

1. Goshawk - I know its a dfficult one to find but well worth it. Its aggressive nature would probably scare everyone. I dont think Goshawks get as much coverage as it deserves.

2. Honey Buzzard - not a bird many know about and probably a bit of a late nester but still something different.

3. Hobby - slowly spreading and does not get much coverage as the Peregrine.

4. Merlin - also an ignores species and decreasing so needs some coverage!

5. Red Kite - wouldprovide excellent publicity about their re-introduction and educate people about this soon to be common bird.

6. Raven - dont think Springwatch do much on Crows -would love to see their nest side behaviour.

7. G B B Gull - would love to see its nestside behaviour too.

8. Any of the Skuas - must be very entertaining watching this species.

9. Grey Partridge - boring for some but how they try to survive with so many chicks - would love to see!

10. Red Grouse - same reasons as no9

11. Ring Necked Pheasant - how this not so intelligent bird survives with so many chicks must be fun to observe.

12. Any of the Diver species.

13. Mistle Thrush -largest of the thrushes it definitely needs some attention!

14. Long tailed Tit - one of my most favourite birds, would love to see them on an Autmn watch too!

15. Curlew - our largest wader

16. Ring Necked Parakeets in the South - I would lovetosee how they behave and have adapted here.

17. Turtle Dove - are they beautiful?

18. Marsh Harriers - they are amazing to watch when patrolling marshes

19. Bittern - love to seehow they behave when in reeds.

20. Bearded Tit - needs more publicity too!

21. Dipper - an amazing spectacle to watch!

22. One of the Buntings - corn, yellowhammer but not reed!

Others I would like to see are Herring Gull, any of the Larks, Goldfinches, Serins, Black Grouse, Ruff to name but a few.

I hope we dont see more Osprey, more waders, more predictable garden birds, more eagles, more barn owls, more deer unless Muntjac,

Mammals wise woud be nice to see Polecats, Dormouseand definitely more wild cats! No more squirrels!

What would others like to see?

[Sacrilege mode] Less bird/badger moments - seriously, there's a reason for all the activity of breeding at this time of the year, and it's due to increasing insect populations, so let's see more moths/butterflies/dragonflies! [/Sacrilege mode]

Goshawk - I know its a dfficult one to find but well worth it. Its aggressive nature would probably scare everyone. I dont think Goshawks get as much coverage as it deserves.

Merlin - also an ignores species and decreasing so needs some coverage!

Raven - dont think Springwatch do much on Crows -would love to see their nest side behaviour.

G B B Gull - would love to see its nestside behaviour too.

Mistle Thrush -largest of the thrushes it definitely needs some attention!

Long tailed Tit - one of my most favourite birds, would love to see them on an Autmn watch too!

Ring Necked Parakeets in the South - I would lovetosee how they behave and have adapted here.

Bearded Tit - needs more publicity too!

Herring Gull

Any of the above...

Also have they ever done any warblers? Even willow warbler would be nice. Grasshopper, whitethroat, blackcap or sedge please.

A bit sunshine wouldn't go amiss. Gordon Buchanan is filming the Badgers this year in Essex. I agree a few warblers would be good. I think Pensthorpe have a breeding programme for Corncrakes so something about this would be welcome. As long as we don't have to look at Chris's pooches, I don't mind what they show.

Ron

No Otters, badgers, or Deer. Lets have less cuddly items but reports on cats and sparrowhawks killing birds. Magpies and Crows behaviour.

Wader study.

They showed Buzzards in 2007 but apparently one of them ate the male Barn Owl and they also caught a Moorhen chick.

I would love to see Warblers, sea-birds. Why are Warblers, Corvids and Gulls ignored?

I loved the Osprey footage last year, but please no more!

Less Deers I think we know everything there is to know after the over coverage on Spring and Autumn Watch. I also would like Birds that most of us do see but in their habitats rather than nesting ones. I also quite like the 5 minute or so slots where they have animals that we think we know a bit about but don't really...Bees, Ladybirds, Hedgehogs have been some of them they have had on so far. I do like the John Aitchson bits I think he is a really good camera man.

But I must say less Kate Humble, she used to annoy me how she tried to tell Bill about Birds. I just hope this series does not go for the "trendy" route that Countryfile have went down. I now find that unwatchable and Julia Bradburys voice goes through me. We have just come back from Scotland today and yesterday we watched a BBC2 Scotland show called Landward a few clips from previous http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/outdoors/categories/wildlife/audiovideo/
....what a great programme, now this is what Countryfile should be like.

Last edited:
Any of the above...

Also have they ever done any warblers? Even willow warbler would be nice. Grasshopper, whitethroat, blackcap or sedge please.

They had sedge warbler last year, together with reed bunting. I guess it depends on what nests they're able to find at Pensthorpe in terms of what birds we get to see!

Bodger

i would like to see grasshoppers,badgers,bitterns,honey buzzards,peregrine falcons,kestrals,and also nice to see gordon out and about in essex.also i would like to wish the new presenters good luck for the programme.

It would be nice if they did something at Cley in the last week as I'll be there! ;)

Would really enjoy some stuff on terns or marsh harriers and I really liked seeing the ringed plovers last time.

They showed Buzzards in 2007 but apparently one of them ate the male Barn Owl and they also caught a Moorhen chick.

I would love to see Warblers, sea-birds. Why are Warblers, Corvids and Gulls ignored?

I loved the Osprey footage last year, but please no more!

Buzzards are predators. Why shouldn't they eat Barn Owls and Moorhens? You should be saying "and", not "but".

For goodness' sake don't encourage anyone to put gulls on TV. Its bad enough the way they have colonised Birding World, displacing many more handsome, interesting and scarce species.

John

The programme is being broadcast at the time when Swallowtail butterflies should be on the wing. I would like to see a feature from the Broads about them.

Ron

Anything birdy will be good.

No Bill this time though - Chris Packham should be a good replacement though!;)

Cant wait - its certainly better viewing than Eastenders and Coronation Street!!o:D

Anything birdy will be good.

No Bill this time though - Chris Packham should be a good replacement though!;)

Cant wait - its certainly better viewing than Eastenders and Coronation Street!!o:D

I am in agreeance with that, Marcia!o:D

I would like to see features on Swallowtails, Red Squirrels, updates on the Conservation Centre and of course Chris Packham!;):Do:D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back