• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Velbon Ultra Rexi L (1 Viewer)

Rotherbirder

United Kingdom
Hi all,

Does anyone have any good experiences of using a small, angled scope (60-62mm maximum) with the above tripod, or is it really just a 'Mickey Mouse' support that should be avoided at all costs?

The specs look decent on paper for a lightweight 'travel' tripod, with top leg sections of 30mm diameter, but with 5-sections is it one or two too many for reasonable stability?

Many thanks

I don't use one of these for a scope but sometimes for cameras. It wasn't bought for its weight but more for its collapsed dimensions.

It is significantly more rigid than several other 'small' tripods I have owned and is rated up to 4Kg. It actually feels heavy because collapsed there is a fair amount of metal compressed into a small space.

The leg locking mechanism is a straight forward twist which I don't have any problem with. However it pays to make sure that it is locked when you first start using it, as there is no positive indication of locking, as there is with the more conventional tripos leg locks. Like the centre column of a Benbo - carelessness has its precious load descending under gravity, however, getting it right becomes automatic so is really a non event. ( I havn't broken anything yet - fingers crossed!)

It provides grubscrew locking for any head you are using similar to Manfrotto so it is designed to be used rather than look pretty, more importantly if you are a bit cavalier in handling the tripod + its camera/scope combination it is one less thing that can fall off as a result. From memory the centre screw that attaches it to a head is reversible so it will take most heads without needing an adaptor.

Clearly with a big fluid head it may no longer fit in its carry bag, but it is not unique in that.

I have used it with a number of longish lenses and wouldn't think that you would have any problems - certainly there is not a lot out there (anything else?) that collapses down to this size and still provides a support as rigid as this.

The only thing that I havn't tested is its torsional rigidity with a stiffly set fluid head and I would expect that it will not be as good as tripods with thicker legs or with bracing.

Hope this helps - the only reason it isn't used more is because I tend to drive to locations - so I use the heaviest tripod I can. This is carried as a spare in case I have to walk far at the other end.

Just read the Amazon reviews and I think that generally they are a fair assessment. Mine has lasted nearly 3 years with no problems at all - it is stored outside in an unheated (damp) garage and has bounced around for miles in my car boot.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back