• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D6 coming in 2019 (1 Viewer)

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
Well, the mail is in - the D6 will be the replacement for the flagship D5, with no D5S intermediate step along the way. I think this would be due to it getting late in the day with resources having been taken up developing the new mirrorless Z line and the impending 2020 Tokyo Olympics - surely both a home ground showcase, but also a major test among Japanese companies after the digital imaging "gold" medal :)

https://www.nikonrumors.co/nikon-d6-coming-in-2019/ Nikon have already trademarked the D6 name - speculate away !! :) :t:
Post your thoughts, opinions, rumours, and any confirmed information (details, dates, photos, etc)

What does this mean for moving the DSLR game on ? (with due consideration to Nikon's own mirrorless developments - Z9 - coming for sure https://www.nikonrumors.co/nikon-executive-said-they-may-also-release-a-d5-like-model-in-the-z-line/ , the growing product threat from Sony, and market leaders Canon)

https://m.facebook.com/Nikon-D6-210128479657855/
I will open with, not only improved processors (Expeed 6 [+?]), AF performance, 28 or 30MP at the same or higher fps, improved file transport, and time lapse 8K, but also a hybrid OVF as per the patent .....

Chosun :gh:

Since the D500 was also released at the same time as the D5, a D6 on the horizon for 2019 also begs the question - what about a D500 successor too? whether it be called D500S, D510, D550, or something else ......

It seems that the mirrorless DX models may be on the back burner with the release of the D3500 coming.
http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/whats-up-with-dx-redux.html

It seems logical that Nikon would want a high speed FF mirrorless Z9 to compete with what will probably by then be Sony's a9m2 for the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo - there just doesn't seem to be enough time to get a fully fledged mirrorless DX ecosystem out as well, with all the new lenses it would require.

Nikon have flagged a new 70-200 f2.8 Z mount lens which would be suitable for the Z9, maybe they could also squash in there a native Z mount version of the 180-400 f4 with built-in 1.4xTC ? I don't think there will be time or resources available to update Nikon's fast super telephoto primes to native Z mount as well. In fact I think Nikon will be flat out responding to the lighter weight, upgraded AF, and IS, MkIII versions of Canon's big whites, for their F mount.

The simplest bet would seem to be to upgrade the D500 in line with the upgrades that the D5 will receive in going to D6. I would suggest that 4K 60fps video would be nice on both - the FF D6 DSLR using the full sensor, and the D500 successor using a 1.5x crop as it does now. This will at least give Nikon some high performing FF DSLR fast long lens, and high end DX, product for the all important 2020 Tokyo Olympics - and something for us birders too :)
http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/dslrs-dead-in-transition-or.html

Hope the Z9 will be a bit bigger than the Z7/Z6...

https://camerasize.com/compare/#649,794

Vespo, I wouldn't hold your breath for a D5 sized Z9!

So far with the mirrorless Z, Nikon have shown that they are firmly targeting the various Sony 'a' models - I would expect this to continue with the Z9 to be firmly aimed at the a9 (probably a9m2 by the time Nikon gets on that scene).

I think they will try and do it with some 'Nikon-ness' about it, ie. hitting those IQ, AF, and EVF core values as well as the great ergonomics they are known for - however I expect they will stick to the Z6/7 body size, but also develop a fully complementary vertical battery grip (the one for the Z6/7 is just additional battery housing with no functionality). This a9/Z7 size comparison is what leads me to that conclusion:
https://camerasize.com/compare/#713,794

The biggest question for me is what (native Z) lenses they expect people to be using. I'm thinking here of say a professional photographic journo who they hope to win over from going to Sony. That's why I speculated the two lenses above (one is firmly on the road map, the other one, my guess). I imagine Nikon envisage pro's with their D850/D5 (likely to be D860/D6 by the Olympics) and 4,5, 600mm fast supertelephoto prime setups with a Z9 additionally strapped to their side .....

It seems that as far as the "Long telephoto capability will be another core feature of Nikon business going forward." is concerned, Nikon will be addressing this through their high end DSLR range at least in the medium term through the 2020 Olympics ....

Vespo, I wouldn't hold your breath for a D5 sized Z9!

So far with the mirrorless Z, Nikon have shown that they are firmly targeting the various Sony 'a' models - I would expect this to continue with the Z9 to be firmly aimed at the a9 (probably a9m2 by the time Nikon gets on that scene).

I think they will try and do it with some 'Nikon-ness' about it, ie. hitting those IQ, AF, and EVF core values as well as the great ergonomics they are known for - however I expect they will stick to the Z6/7 body size, but also develop a fully complementary vertical battery grip (the one for the Z6/7 is just additional battery housing with no functionality). This a9/Z7 size comparison is what leads me to that conclusion:
https://camerasize.com/compare/#713,794

The biggest question for me is what (native Z) lenses they expect people to be using. I'm thinking here of say a professional photographic journo who they hope to win over from going to Sony. That's why I speculated the two lenses above (one is firmly on the road map, the other one, my guess). I imagine Nikon envisage pro's with their D850/D5 (likely to be D860/D6 by the Olympics) and 4,5, 600mm fast supertelephoto prime setups with a Z9 additionally strapped to their side .....

It seems that as far as the "Long telephoto capability will be another core feature of Nikon business going forward." is concerned, Nikon will be addressing this through their high end DSLR range at least in the medium term through the 2020 Olympics ....

Probably something in between Z7 and D5. Maybe more in the D500 size range. Nikon-ness is equal to good ergonomics. The Sony A9 is a disaster in that sense, even with the battery grip. Look at the view from the top, the A9 grip is just too slim.

You also would need a larger body for dual card XQD slots, contacts for an battery grip with controls (lacks in the Z7/Z6) and room for more buttons on the body.

I don't think that Nikon will be lured into making a Z9 with as bad ergonomic as the A9. But this will be a delicate matter not stepping into D500/D5 area too soon and too strong, and when?

The question is if Nikon even see A9 as serious competition? I doubt there are that many D5 shooters that have defected to A9. But the A9 is a good showcase for Sony's top-of-the-line sensors and electronics than Nikon will probably will re-spec and order for their next models.

Let's see what happens, but in all possible scenarios your money will end up in Japan....;)

Probably something in between Z7 and D5. Maybe more in the D500 size range. Nikon-ness is equal to good ergonomics. The Sony A9 is a disaster in that sense, even with the battery grip. Look at the view from the top, the A9 grip is just too slim.

You also would need a larger body for dual card XQD slots, contacts for an battery grip with controls (lacks in the Z7/Z6) and room for more buttons on the body.

I don't think that Nikon will be lured into making a Z9 with as bad ergonomic as the A9. But this will be a delicate matter not stepping into D500/D5 area too soon and too strong, and when?

The question is if Nikon even see A9 as serious competition? I doubt there are that many D5 shooters that have defected to A9. But the A9 is a good showcase for Sony's top-of-the-line sensors and electronics than Nikon will probably will re-spec and order for their next models.

Let's see what happens, but in all possible scenarios your money will end up in Japan....;)
Perhaps - eventually (say from the 2nd Z9 iteration on .... that would make sense ). They might just stick with the Z7 chassis (+ functional vertical battery grip) for the Z9 initial launch - that will save on engineering resources - they've got a heck of a lot to do coming up (particularly lightening their supertelephotos - including the 300 f2.8 - do you remember that one Nikon?! - a first candidate for the Z mount perhaps?) .... not treading on it's multiple product lines toes while still addressing the competition will be a delicate dance ....

The a9 may not have been seen as such serious competition (more potential than real threat) up until now, but with the release of the new lightweight 400 f2.8 G-Master a lot of that changes, and the threat becomes more real. I could imagine that set-up being very handy at some 2020 Olympics events ..... something Nikon will want to have a competitive mirrorless option for ......
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=363772

Yes, the Japanese certainly seem to be going from strength to strength :t:

There seems to be some emerging suggestion of a rumour that the D500 successor might be a mirrorless Z5 ....
"Jordi Brinkman, Product Manager at Nikon Europe, seems to give some credence to this notion in his interviews at Photokina."
http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews...mber-2018-mirrorl/photokina-observations.html

With Nikon not quite matching the Sony benchmark as far as AF goes with it's debut Z7, there would seem to be a lot of development miles required for this to be a realistic possibility.

We know that Nikon has flagged a Sony a9 equalling Z9 ,but it too would require cutting edge AF development to match what will probably be an a9m2 by then. Perhaps such a Z9 beastie would exhibit too much performance in comparison to a D5, or even the succeeding D6 to be allowed to see the light of day at the 2020 Olympics?

A D6 --- Z5 combo going forward would dodge that particular bullet, and should be enough to take the Olympics crown unless the Sony a9m2 turns out to be something really special (and there's a matching 600/f4 GM too).

Such a strategy would see the D6 remain as the undisputed Nikon king, but I suspect it's overall success will have more to do with what supertelephotos come out on top .......

Personally, I think that with all the lens lightweighting and AF development work that Nikon has to do, that an updated D500S would be a less risky proposition building upon the fine performance of the D500, but taking care of Fuji's XT-3 along with anything Canon manages to come up with.

Last edited:
In the DX space, I personally would think they would do an F-mount mirrorless so you don't need to muddle around with an adapter.

In regards to long telephoto, here's something I recently discovered. The new 500 f/5.6 will lose 3d tracking on a d850 with a tc14 because the combined f-stop is greater than f/5.6. On the z7, subject tracking does not use the AF-C 3D, it uses subject tracking like from the d850 live view and will not be lost on the 500 f/5.6 w/ tc14. It also means that other lens combos that exceed f/5.6 will still be able to track subjects on the Z7!

In the DX space, I personally would think they would do an F-mount mirrorless so you don't need to muddle around with an adapter.

In regards to long telephoto, here's something I recently discovered. The new 500 f/5.6 will lose 3d tracking on a d850 with a tc14 because the combined f-stop is greater than f/5.6. On the z7, subject tracking does not use the AF-C 3D, it uses subject tracking like from the d850 live view and will not be lost on the 500 f/5.6 w/ tc14. It also means that other lens combos that exceed f/5.6 will still be able to track subjects on the Z7!

I wouldn't put to much hope for Z7 as an action camera:

"Instead of extended 'dynamic modes' like 'd25' and 'd72' or 'Group AF', Z shooters will only find two additional modes: 'Wide S' (which is a bit larger than Single, but smaller than the 'Dynamic' area) and 'Wide L' (a bit larger than 'Dynamic'). We found the Wide S and L modes to be barely any more useful than the Single Point of 'Dynamic', and would've preferred the increasingly larger sizes of 'd72' or 'd153' modes, for example. And instead of '3D Tracking', subject tracking is tacked on to Auto Area mode, engaged by hitting 'OK' or by tapping on the LCD and, worse, always requiring a press of the 'OK' button to reset the AF point if you wish to switch your subject."

"A number of the shots are critically back-focused, something we wouldn't expect with Nikon DSLRs."

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-z7-first-impressions-review/5

Maybe the final firmware makes tracking AF more accurate, but the implementation is still annoying.

I wouldn't put to much hope for Z7 as an action camera:

"Instead of extended 'dynamic modes' like 'd25' and 'd72' or 'Group AF', Z shooters will only find two additional modes: 'Wide S' (which is a bit larger than Single, but smaller than the 'Dynamic' area) and 'Wide L' (a bit larger than 'Dynamic'). We found the Wide S and L modes to be barely any more useful than the Single Point of 'Dynamic', and would've preferred the increasingly larger sizes of 'd72' or 'd153' modes, for example. And instead of '3D Tracking', subject tracking is tacked on to Auto Area mode, engaged by hitting 'OK' or by tapping on the LCD and, worse, always requiring a press of the 'OK' button to reset the AF point if you wish to switch your subject."

"A number of the shots are critically back-focused, something we wouldn't expect with Nikon DSLRs."

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-z7-first-impressions-review/5

Maybe the final firmware makes tracking AF more accurate, but the implementation is still annoying.

From the Z7 reference manual, AF-ON will also start subject tracking, not just OK (but you still need OK to enable tracking mode). I found the d850 live view subject tracking, which this seems similar to, difficult to use. I'm hoping its better on the Z7.

A 60mp D6 ???!!!!!

This also from Nikon Rumours seems rather incredulous - 60MP !
https://www.nikonrumors.co/rumors-nikon-d6-to-use-sony-imx455-sensor-8k-60mp-native-iso-64/

This would require over 3 x the processing power of the current D5 ......I just don't see it - particularly first thing in 2019. I may have to eat my hat, but I don't think that is likely - just sloppy rumour reporting. If anything (@9fps) this sensor sounds like a candidate for a D860 down the track.

I'm hopeful of seeing a D6 early in 2019, but I haven't read anything concrete on the spec yet .....

Also, with the difficulty of getting Mirrorless AF performance up to DSLR levels, and given that the D500 pretty much followed straight after the D5, I'm hoping that the D500S will also emerge early in 2019 (hopefully with a 600 f5.6 PF too) ...... giving Nikon some breathing space to decipher the whole DX Mirrorless puzzle .....

It seems that both Nikon and Canon will have at least one last Flagship DSLR in the D6 and EOS IDX MkIII, both of which are slated for 2019. https://www.canonrumors.com/follow-up-to-canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii-may-come-in-2019-cr2/

These will be the Flagship offerings for the 2020 Olympics. I think unless they include things like hybrid OVF'S as per the patents then there may even be one final generation after these (or at least a midlife S upgrade). The Canon is said to have an upgraded DPAF system as well.

So it seems that DSLR's will be the AF kings for a while yet.

As time goes on, it seems doubtful that Canon and Nikon will come out with a high framerate Sony a9 competitor before the Olympics. What seems more likely is that CaNikon will release (~60-75MP) high resolution Mirrorless models first (Z8, along with a D860 using a similar sensor for Nikon?).

Perhaps Nikon is waiting for Sony to develop the a9MkII first - only a great threat if they also develop a 600 f4 G Master lens to go with it in time for the Olympics.

It also seems that Pro level DX Mirrorless models are in the too hard basket before the Olympics due to more development being needed for AF Mirrorless systems. Now that Nikon has officially dropped the D7200, there is room in the lineup for a D500S - that would also bring about a Canon EOS 7D MkIII DSLR.

Nikon has better get cracking on the lenses too - Canon looks like it will steal a march with the MkIII IS's .....

No earth shattering D6 revelations at CES 2019, so Nikon must still be working furiously behind the scenes to make this ready in plenty of time for the 2020 Olympics.

With Sony releasing Firmware updates (even better AF performance!) for its Pro and upper end Mirrorless cameras, and no rumours of a 600/f4 G-Master lens, I've changed my lean a bit on an a9m2 appearing for the Olympics - I don't think it will happen now ....

I think Sony will go into battle against the Nikon D6 with its newly upgraded firmware a9 and the 400/f2.8 G-Master and other lenses ..... I expect the Nikon D6 will still be the :king: ..... but with both Sony and Canon sporting new generation lightweight supertelephotos, Nikon is looking a bit long in the tooth in this regard (probably of not as much consequence to pro togs at the Olympics compared to aging birders looking to cart less and less weight! :)

Well, Q2 2019 is rapidly approaching. There must be advanced engineering mule D6's floating around, if not prototypes or even pre-production models. Will we see an announcement or launch at NAB, Photokina, or are the rumours off and will we have to wait until CP+ 2020?

Nikon rumours reports that this is the wishlist of a Pro shooter. It centers around display, flexibility, and connectivity.
https://nikonrumors.com/2019/03/22/what-should-nikon-put-in-their-next-flagship-the-d6.aspx/

I think we will see a sensor in the 24-36MP range .... and I'm still eating my hat if it lobs at 60MP ! :eek!:
I would imagine the RGB sensor would have to get a hefty lift in resolution and enough processing power to back it, allowing Eye AF tracking that will comfortably put a Sony a9(1.5) in the shade.

There was some lols reading down the comments section of that rumour link. Here is what one wag had to say:
"Andreas Larzon 15 hours ago

Ok here is my list for the new D6.

1) In-camera mascara to go with the make-up mirror inside
2) A 100m chain that you can attach to your boat when you drop the camera as an anchor
3) Extendable fingertip adapters for easier reach to the shutter button
4) Machinegun grade earplugs to protect the user from shutter noise
5) High tech face padding to protect the photographers head from the shutter shock
6) In-camera nuclear power plant to help the camera to power on
7) Secondary nuclear power plant to let the photographer take up to one picture
8) In-camera map to find your way out from the OVF
9) 15 card slots for secure one-shot photography

and the last most vital thing I hope it has is...

10) Warranty :D"

...... lol :-O

Which one of these is a D6? (if any). N1845, N1847, N1849, N1850
Hmmm - will be interesting .... :cat:

I have no mail on which registration number is which at this time.
I would hazard a guess -> all DSLR's ?? (there are a couple of other reg #'s floating around for other Mirrorless products in addition too).
Models & Release order:-
2019: D5700, D760
late 2019/2020: D6, D500S
?? :h?: :brains: :cat:

Let's hope Nikon brings some new quality lenses as well as new cameras for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. A 500mm f2.8 PF would be nice. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back