• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

?willow warbler, Outer Hebrides (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
i suspect that the attached is a young willow warbler, but being a juvenile i can't be sure - can anyone confirm or correct ?

pictures taken less than a month ago in the Lews Castle grounds near Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis

Attachments

• Img_8675.jpg
    Img_8675.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Img_8677.jpg
    Img_8677.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 186
thanks all - i have trouble differentiating between willow warbler and chiffchaff at the best of times, never mind if they're juveniles :-C

It’s probably worth mentioning that breeding chiffchaff would be quite notable on the outer hebs, whereas willow warblers breed regularly. I find these juv phylloscs very hard but I don’t think the lack of yellow underparts excludes willow, as this is more a 1st winter thing - juvs can show greyish white underparts (assuming that the pics on the internet are labelled correctly!)

It’s probably worth mentioning that breeding chiffchaff would be quite notable on the outer hebs, whereas willow warblers breed regularly. I find these juv phylloscs very hard but I don’t think the lack of yellow underparts excludes willow, as this is more a 1st winter thing - juvs can show greyish white underparts (assuming that the pics on the internet are labelled correctly!)

These birds are still juvenile and have yet to undergo a complete body-moult as part of their post-juvenile moult when, Willow Warblers attain their distinctive yellow underparts. Looking at the bare parts I'd suggest they are on balance more likely Willow Warblers.

Grahame

Given the breeding status there and taking Grahame's remarks into account, I agree with Willow Warbler.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back