• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (4 Viewers)

Quite a few lifers in the last few days, with Varied Triller, Double-barred Finch, White-lined Honeyeater and Partridge Pigeon in Darwin and then Crimson Finch, Grey-crowned Babbler, White-gaped Honeyeater and Weebill in Kununurra, WA. About to drive the Gibb River Road, so should get many more in the next few days!

Rufus-crowned Sparrow on July 31st in the Davis Mountains of West Texas.

I'm new to birding, so it's pretty easy to add to my list.

Today at the Marshlands Conservancy I added:

Northern Flicker
American Oystercatcher
Indigo Bunting (possible; waiting on confirmation of the song)

In the last few days I've seen my first Little Friarbird, Bush Stone-curlew, Varied Lorikeet, Rufous Whistler, Jacky Winter, Banded Honeyeater, White-chinned Honeyeater, Bar-breasted Honeyeater, Leaden Flycatcher, Long-tailed Finch, Black-breasted Buzzard, Brown Goshawk, Northern Fantail and Sandstone Shrikethrush in the amazing Kimberley in Western Australia. Sadly I missed most of the specialities, but I will definitely be coming back at some point!

Seven more yesterday near Broome in Western Aus, with Broad-billed Flycatcher, Canary White-eye, Little Bronze Cuckoo, Mangrove Fantail, Red-capped Plover, Far Eastern Curlew and Grey-tailed Tattler.

Las trip to Mitú in the Guyanan Amazonian lowalands of Colombia near the Brazil border gave some neat lifers:

* Brown-banded Puffbird... finally cached up with this one that I want it badly! (attached photo)

* Red-billed Ground-Cuckoo.... ohhhh, ohhhh!!!... we did the 1st CONFIRMED record for Colombia as I recorded its bill snaps... foraging with a huge army ants swarm.. WHAT A BIRD!.. for the full story on how we got this one go to: https://www.facebook.com/COLOMBIA.Birding/posts/10152286257143517 (NO NEED of a Facebook account to read this as my profile is 100% public)

* Chamizal Flycatcher... the race duidae of the Fuscous Flycatcher that lives in white sands and likely to be split (attached photo)

* Gould's Jewelfront... another one I had been looking for in this area long time ago (attached photo)

* Chestnut-winged Hookbill

* Neopipo OR Cinnamon Neopipo OR Cinnamon Tyrant OR Cynnamon Tyrant-Manakin

Some more from last trip to Mitú at https://www.facebook.com/COLOMBIA.Birding/posts/10152291156468517

.... getting to Mitú again in a week with another group... let´s see if I can find me a Reddish-winged Bare-eye ;-)

Attachments

• puffbird.jpg
    puffbird.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 32
  • flycatcher.jpg
    flycatcher.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 32
  • jewelfront.jpg
    jewelfront.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 28
Was able to add European Storm petrel, Gyr Falcon, Brünnich's Guillemot, Barrow's Goldeneye and Harlequin Duck in our short trip to iceland in July.

Last Saturday brought up 202 for the "my rules" UK list, which means 200 BOU. And in case that wasn't good enough, it was the family of stilts that had bred at Medmerry. So really good views of a real rarity.

The actual most recent lifer caused rather mixed feelings. There was this skua, you see. And if you saw my thread on the ID forum you'll know the rest.

Long-tailed skua at Pagham harbour. I was the first person to see it after it arrived. Easily my best ever self-found bird. Except that it wasn't, because I didn't identify it, and my photos weren't clear enough for anyone to give a certain ID. Someone else took much better photos a couple of days later, at which point it was positively identified. Although I got a pretty good view of a very smart-looking bird, it's never quite the same if you don't know what you're looking at until later.

Final few lifers from my Australia trip have been Fairy Tern and Spotted Harrier in Exmouth, WA and then Blue-billed Duck and Australasian Shoveler in Perth. It's very sad to be going back to England! Thankfully it's not long until I'll be back here permanently....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back