• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid 10x42 vs Ultravid HD+ 10x50 (2 Viewers)

That is a good and interesting question. Even though I haven't tried either of these binocular's I would have to agree with Andy. Both of the binoculars you are comparing are alpha level binoculars and their light transmission is probably within a few % so even with design differences and small coating differences the advantage would have to go to the much bigger aperture Ultravid HD + 10x50. The Noctivid 10x42 is just handicapped too much by it's much smaller aperture. Just the fact that the Ultravid has a 5mm exit pupil is going to make it more comfortable to use than the 4mm of the Noctivid and brighter under low light conditions. It is a matter of physics. The big question would be do you want to carry the extra weight of the 50mm for the additional performance. That is something that only you can decide based on how far you walk and how good of physical condition you are in. It is surprising how much difference 5 or 6 oz. of extra weight makes when you are hiking all day! Andy has made his decision and the extra weight is worth it to him. You have to decide for yourself.

Last edited:
Just had to send my Noctovids back, as a very serious issue occurred on my trip to Peru, the Binocular wouldn't focus and kept spinning on the diopter adjustment as if the wheel was in 'Open' the adjust position, but it wasn't, hopefully Leicas new 'customer service' will see them returned as immaculate as they were, been told they will because they are way inside their 10yr warranty

Well i got my Nocts back today, and perplexingly, Leica cannot find an issue, and claim they are still 100% in working order, after extensive tests by their technicians.
Maybe it was just me inadvertently clicking open the dioptere setting, it happened twice, so i'd better just keep an eye on them

Well i got my Nocts back today, and perplexingly, Leica cannot find an issue, and claim they are still 100% in working order, after extensive tests by their technicians.
Maybe it was just me inadvertently clicking open the dioptere setting, it happened twice, so i'd better just keep an eye on them

I can see how that could happen, and it’s one way in which the UV split focus and diopter system could be said to be better. However, now that you are aware of the possibility it will be very easy for you to see if that’s the problem if the symptoms occur again.

I can see how that could happen, and it’s one way in which the UV split focus and diopter system could be said to be better. However, now that you are aware of the possibility it will be very easy for you to see if that’s the problem if the symptoms occur again.

I could see that that maybe the only reason the dial was moving, but i was sure, i hadn't touched it, the guy at my optics retailer, said he couldn't replicate the fault either, on the plus side, they do seem as smooth as new, so the tech-bods obviously cleaned them up a tad

I could see that that maybe the only reason the dial was moving, but i was sure, i hadn't touched it, the guy at my optics retailer, said he couldn't replicate the fault either, on the plus side, they do seem as smooth as new, so the tech-bods obviously cleaned them up a tad

Glad to hear they are working as new. Hopefully it was just inexplicable user error! ;)

I'm about to take mine on a trip to the UK. I'll be staying in St Mawes, overlooking Falmouth, in Cornwall. Looking forward to enjoying them there!

I could see that that maybe the only reason the dial was moving, but i was sure, i hadn't touched it

This has happened to me with a different bino. Never knowingly touched the dioptre but it moved. However, looking back on what we were doing during a 3 week visit to the Scottish Western Isles I think I can see how it happened.

At various times we scrambled over rocks and fences and sometimes the binos swung under my arm and I clamped my arm down to stop them swinging. To stop this I occasionally pushed the binos inside my jacket then pulled them out again after we had cleared an obstacle. Lying down to photo flowers they ended up underneath me sometimes and I shuffled back and forth and side to side to get the desired view of the flower. I could go on describing how the binos ended up in places about my person other than in my hands. I am guessing that during these minor incidents the dioptre knob rubbed against my jacket or other clothes and moved without me knowing.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back