• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baader hyp 1V Longrange focus issue (1 Viewer)

ranger4

Using a Baader Hyperion with my Kowa TSN823m Spotting scope and notice i cannot focus on Longer ranges, The scope focuses perfect at short and long range with a kowa 32x wide eyepiece and at short to medium ranges with the baader except Long range anyone able to share info on a fix for this issue, Thanks.

Last edited:
Don't know - but have you fixed the problem? That means: do you need more travel with your focusser (bad) or is it 'enough' to put your Hyp a little bit more away from your given focus-plane (better) or moving toward the plane (sad)? For moving outwards there are (perhaps) some Baader-adapter-rings for Kowa-scopes on the website or in the pipeline… (don't know your thread-diameter, but some adapter-ring give you a millimeter or two).

good luck
Manfred

Hi,

for getting to infinity he needs to get the EP closer to the objective which is usually not trivial. Depending on how the adaption was done, a crucial millimeter ot two might be gained though by modifying the adapater... if the front element of the EP doesn't hit the prism first.

Is this the Hyperion Zoom or some fixed mag EP from the Hyperion range and if the zoom, what version - Mk4 was specially optimised to need less infocus for instruments with limited focus travel.

Joachim

Thanks for replies, The eyepiece is the mk 4 Hyperion zoom, There is a few mm of thread ahead of eyepiece element if this was shortend to bring eyepiece Lens closer to scope internal mirror would this increase focus thus allowing to focus to infinitey, thanks.

Last edited:
Reduced camera pic size and still unable to post pictures, I notice the eyepiece lnner lens is flush with the inner barrel when the eyepiece set at low zoom and the Lens slides inside the barrel when zoom set at maximum zoom just unsure to remove a few mm off the lens barrel incase Lens exposed outside of the barrel when set at lower zoom.

I am wondering wheather the Badder Hyperion mark IV zoom eyepiece would fit my old Kowa TSN 824 or not? Would this be an easy adaptation or is it better to buy the Kowa's EC1A adapter and buy the TE9z zoom eyepiece? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards Paul

I am now testing the Baader Hyperion Mk IV,and can confirm that fits the threads of the 823 without the need of an adapter,and reaches Infinity focus with a lot of travel past infinity. You need to remove the main collar ring to be able to change the astro insert to the spotting scope insert,but for the Kowa 823 you dont need an insert anyway(the inserts are to fit a 1 1/4 barrel) ..with the thin insert on(for spotting scopes,)you loose a bit of Infinity travel,past Infinity,and gain perhaps 50 or 75 cm close focus,so i keep that one fitted.
Working on a little review now with all the adapters,etc..I will elaborate a bit more and compare with the Mk III..It has improved in all áreas....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back