• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Wash, UK, today (1 Viewer)

dragnil

The glass is half full, but the bottle is empty.
United Kingdom
Huge numbers of waders to be seen today at Frampton Marsh but this one has me stumped. I'm sure I'll kick myself when pointed in the right direction but, for now, I just can't put a name to it. Any help gratefully received.
David

Attachments

• _DLC4060.jpg
    _DLC4060.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 327
I thought of that but this bird, and it was only one of quite a few similar, seemed about 2/3 the size of the clearly-identifiable Ruffs nearby.

Yes. Thanks. I've just searched on juvenile Ruff and it looks like you have it for me - thanks. Any more confirmations?

There can be a size difference but those proportions of leg, body, head and bill always look distinctive to my eyes - as if the species was made up from bits left over, a bit like Upland Sandpiper.....

Laurie:t:

Wait, are you asking about the bird in front (which is a typical Ruff, at least in terms of proportions and plumage), or the one behind it?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back