• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kowa TSN-883 eyecup (2 Viewers)

safaridreaming

so i finally went ahead and bought the Kowa 883 scope and it arrived a few days.

having played with it for a hew hours so far, i'm extremely happy with it relative to my Swaro ATS 80. I find the 25-60 eyepiece a significantly more relaxing than the Swaro 25-50 (the key reason i was looking at the Kowa) and eye placement is less critical for me on the Kowa than it was on the 25-50.

the focus knob is taking a bit of getting used to vs the helical focuser on the Swaro, but i'm sure that will change as i use the scope more...

the tactile feel of cold metal is also different to the rubberised feeling of the Swaro.

That being said, i'm just wondering what ppl's experience is with the twist up eyecup? Mine feels very loose and has a lot of movement side to side - twisting it up and down, there are 3 clear detents, but when its fully extended you can rock the eyecup side to side pinched between my finger and thumb very easily and it has several mm's of movement, almost like its loose.

the attachment is screwed on securely to the eyepiece itself, its just the plastic extendable bit is doesn't seem very well attached.

is this common? or is mine an anomaly?

just wondering.....

thanks
Jeelan

Hi Jeelan,

That being said, i'm just wondering what ppl's experience is with the twist up eyecup? Mine feels very loose and has a lot of movement side to side - twisting it up and down, there are 3 clear detents, but when its fully extended you can rock the eyecup side to side pinched between my finger and thumb very easily and it has several mm's of movement, almost like its loose.

On my example, I have about 2 mm play at the extreme. It feels very well defined to me, and I'm confident it was deliberately designed that way. A bit of play actually cushions any bumping of the sensitive skin near your eye against the eyepiece.

As amateur designer of my own optics accessories, I'm quite happy with that conceptual approach.

Admittedly, before you mentioned it, I never even noticed :)

(I've managed to break eyecups on other scopes, which might serve as indication scopes do experience a certain amount of stress in my hands.)

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back