• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crossbills (1 Viewer)

Identification

Stoddart 2011. Identification: Crossbills – new challenges. Birdwatch 228 (Jun 2011): 24-28.

Andy Stoddart discusses the identification and taxonomy of the four Loxia spp occurring in Britain.

Stoddart 2011. Identification: Crossbills – new challenges. Birdwatch 228 (Jun 2011): 24-28.

Andy Stoddart discusses the identification and taxonomy of the four Loxia spp occurring in Britain.

I'm assuming he's not covering the Glip, the Parakeet and others?!

cheers, alan

HBW in error?

HBW 15 (2010) listed Loxia percna as Loxia curvirostris pusilla. An estimated number of between 500 and 1500 individuals should occur on Newfoundland. I am somewhat confused. Does that mean that this taxon is not extinct or is the information from HBW 15 not correct?

“HBW 15 (2010) listed Loxia percna as Loxia curvirostris pusilla. An estimated number of between 500 and 1500 individuals should occur on Newfoundland. I am somewhat confused. Does that mean that this taxon is not extinct or is the information from HBW 15 not correct?”

This is a confusing one.
I guess Douglas Pratt considers them extinct.
H. Douglass Pratt: Revisiting Species and Subspecies of Island Birds for a Better Assessment of Biodiversity. (Avian Subspecies. Ornithological Monographs No. 67: 79-89. 2010) Who knew Newfoundland was an island?
I have read that L. percna & pusilla are different taxa but it is confusing.
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/28541#page/442/mode/1up .
This blog:
http://akialoa.wordpress.com/2011/05/11/loxia-percna-newfoundland-crossbill/?like=1 has a black & white photo from van Rossem 1931 which is one of the types from the Berlin museum. L. pusilla is a MSS or tag name from Illiger from Mus. Berol. Or Lichtenstein?

I think the 500 to 1500 number comes from this:
http://dsp-psd.pwgsc.gc.ca/Collection/CW69-14-394-2004E.pdf .

I am still confused on the name.

The article did anything but discuss these issues and was, in my opinion, rather token, ill researched and assumptive in its assertions, not what I would expect from the author or the magazine.

A belated response to some of the issues raised in the article:

http://tinyurl.com/6faqfca

The Birdwatch article at the start of this thread mentions that the "wing-barred" crossbills have been split into three species. These are presumably the European Two-barred, the North American White-winged, and the isolated population on Hispaniola (if I remember rightly). Does anyone know the basis for this split, and indeed, if it is widely accepted?

Two-barred Crossbill

The Birdwatch article at the start of this thread mentions that the "wing-barred" crossbills have been split into three species. These are presumably the European Two-barred, the North American White-winged, and the isolated population on Hispaniola (if I remember rightly). Does anyone know the basis for this split, and indeed, if it is widely accepted?
The split of Loxia megaplaga Hispaniolan Crossbill is widely recognised (eg, AOU, IOC, BLI, Cornell/Clements, Dutch Birding, HBW).

But I'm not aware of any significant authority yet splitting L (leucoptera) bifasciata. Cornell flags it as a distinctive subspecies group; and OSME identifies it as a possible split.

PS. Amazing photo of an apparently rocket-propelled Crossbill in the Birdwatch 211 article (p32) - or did it light a fart? ;)

Last edited:
Just to help clear up a few things, the Newfoundland (presumably Type 8 percna) Crossbill is not extinct! The Newfoundland Type 8 ssp. percna was originally described by Groth using a single 4-second recording --I would say that this is not advisable, but it was all he had to go on at the time. I have analyzed nearly 4 hours of recordings from Newfoundland birds (2005-2011), and they are NOT extinct --there's more to the story, but I'll save that for another time or when my work on this is finally published. It is uncertain whether the Cypress Hills birds are extinct or not, but I suspect they are not. Additionally, studies of Type 9 South Hills birds involved Types 2 and 5, NOT Type 4. Lastly, many feel that the terminology of subspecies cannot be applied to crossbills since many types can sympatrically nest-- some still think that the word can still be applied. As for stability of flight calls and other things such as mate choice, reliable signaling, reproductive barriers, etc, I suggest everyone read a few papers by Kendra Sewall:

Early learning of discrete call variants in red crossbills: implications for reliable signaling
Kendra B. Sewall

Limited adult vocal learning maintains call dialects but permits pair-distinctive calls in red crossbills
Kendra B. Sewall, a,

Social experience modifies behavioural responsiveness to a preferred vocal signal in red crossbills, Loxia curvirostra
Kendra B. Sewall*, Thomas P. Hahn 1

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah, to some degree you are right Richard (it is confusing), but not in a very long time...at least not in NA crossbill circles. pusilla is a synonym for percna, BUT pusilla has also been loosely applied to Type 2 and 1 as well. percna is the one appropriately applied to the Newfoundland birds. At the end of the day though, it's best to stay away from applying subspecies.....however, if one __can__ apply subspecies to any of them, percna __might__ be the only NA type that you can correctly apply the word to ---there's no definitive evidence that other NA Types invade Newfoundland, and therefore percna might be allopatric. I strongly suspect that's not the case though.....but we have no smoke and gun yet....no definitive evidence of a recorded bird that's a different type.

Type 2 at various times has gone by benderei, benti and pusilla. benti fits best to Type 2, with benderei applying best to Type 5 ...... pusilla perhaps best applies to Type 1, although it has at times been known as first, minor, then neogaea. minor best applies to Type 3, which has also been known as sitkensis, but that really best applies to Type 10 (newly described). Type 4 really doesn't have a subspecies assigned to it (never has), but one could argue that neogaea could apply. Type 7 also has no historical subspecies assigned to it.....Type 6 would be stricklandi if my memory is correct. i just wrote a small paper for our state Journal addressing these issues for the types found in the east...which are types 1,2,3,4,8, and 10.......Greg Budney and I recorded the first Type 5 east of the Rockies in 2006....published that in North American Birds in 2010.

As you can see, it's really best to stay away from the subspecies idea with crossbills. The ebird folks wanted me to assign subspecies (to NA types and Euro types), and I steered them away from it. It really is just not advisable.

Crossbill call types are best called "morphs" a general basket of all animal variation which doesn't fit other categories.

Call types show no genetic differences. They are proven to evolve ultra-fast in response to differences in conifer cones. Most probably, call types are short-lived phenomenon. They likely disappear or merge just as quickly, when their preferred population of conifer trees goes extinct or merges with another.

except that morphs applies random morphological variation (see the use of color morphs in snakes, etc). Whereas these different morphs seem specialized for certain foods and for the most part breed assortatively. So I wouldn't call a morph a proper name either. Our current taxonomy doesn't really accommodate Crossbills and similar seed eating birds.

Some morphs show different behaviors (see pepper moths perching on different trees) and can mate assortatively (eg feral pigeon morphs). So it suits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back