• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unable to identify Calidris (Spain) (1 Viewer)

yarrellii

Supporter
Where: Natural Park "Salinas de Ibiza y Formentera", Ibiza, Spain.
When: 12.Sept.2020

Small, probably juvenile Calidris, but I'm unable to surely identify the species.
Most notable features are a reddish/brownish stripe on upper part, black beak, not especially long that does not seem to curve downwards, like in the case of the dunlin (C. alpina) and black legs.
So I'm left wondering whether it is a Little stint (C. minuta) or, wild guessing due to the migration season, Western sandpiper (C. mauri) or else a Semipalmated sandpiper (C. pusilla).

Here's a link to a larger file, so you can see the minute details, like the reddish/brownish upper parts:

https://ibb.co/sRdbsnd

What do you make of it? Thanks :)

Attachments

• Calidris_Unknown.jpg
    Calidris_Unknown.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Well, that's an unanimous verdict, then! :)
Thanks all for the great response.

(And that's a lifer for me :D)

Last edited:
I just want to note that upon seeing this I thought "well there is a comparison with the plover and Little Stint would be smaller, so lets check the measurements" and I learned that Western/Semipalmated Sandpipers are actually exactly the size of a Little Stint, which quite surprised me!

I just want to note that upon seeing this I thought "well there is a comparison with the plover and Little Stint would be smaller, so lets check the measurements" and I learned that Western/Semipalmated Sandpipers are actually exactly the size of a Little Stint, which quite surprised me!

In fact, at least the semipalmated is a little bit bigger than the little stint, but just noticed at close range.

In fact, at least the semipalmated is a little bit bigger than the little stint, but just noticed at close range.

Maybe on average, but Collins lists significant overlaps, so I just wouldn't count on it as an ID mark. In any case, this is a heads up for me to watch my "Little stints" a bit more closely.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back