• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BOW Key (2 Viewers)

That was quick James! Maybe too quick?

You might consider a tiny amendment, on (the blue part):

Bulletin 14: ...
[...]
licua [updated]
Original orthography (i.e. initial capital letter) would indicate that this is an autochthonym in South Africa for the Pearl-spotted Owlet; "31. -[Strix]- Licua Licht. Habitu (i.e. partium inter se ratione, praecipue remigum rectricumque longitudine mutua) et pictura, simillima Str. passerinae Lin. (pygmaeae Bechst.), sed major, 8-pollicaris, differt quoque rectricum fasciis 6 albis latioribus vix linearibus, sed interruptis, e macula utrinque orbiculari conflatis, terminali nulla." (Lichtenstein 1842, Verz. Samml. Säugeth. Vögel. Kaffernlande, p. 12). However, Björn Bergenholtz in litt. refers to Cole 1990, S. Afr. Journ. Afr. Lang., 10 (4), p. 349, where Lekwa is given as the Tswana name for the Vaal River (the original habitat of this owl) (subsp. Glaucidium perlatum).
[...]
Simply as I did not refer " ... to Cole 1990, S. Afr. Journ. Afr. Lang., 10 (4) p. 349", but to "Cole, D. T. (1991) Old Tswana and New Latin. Botswana Notes and Records, Volume 23: pp. 175–191.". Rookmaaker (2017) on the other hand, who didn't list licua, was the one who had read Cole's paper (from 1990).

The former paper I haven't seen, and I have no clue what it tells us (even if it, most likely, could be, or was, telling us exactly the same) ;)

Fair is fair (or should be).

Björn

Bjorn,
Sorry, but I saw "Old Tswana and new Latin" and assumed it referred to the 1990 paper, of which I have a copy. In fact, the Botswana Notes paper 1991 is a shortened version of the original, and does not contain some of the finer linguistic details of the 1990 paper. I would rather refer to the original, larger, more detailed paper (the reference to licua is much the same, and doesn't alter our etymology). If it please you,I can alter "refers" to "alludes."

James, I assume "alludes" would be a more appropriate choice of words, but ... if you have (and had) the longer, more detailed paper (from 1990), I don't really understand why you have to refer to me at all. Refer to Cole himself. He was the one who came up with the (alleged) explanation. If you find it reliable, of course. Only pointing out a possible (highly likely) explanation, isn't such a big deal. We've all missed things, now and then.

Though, one more remark (I'm apparently in a picky mood today); I'm not all convinced that the first part of the entry is fully correct, or duly applicable (at least not in very case, by Lichtenstein):
licua [updated]
Original orthography (i.e. initial capital letter) would indicate that this is an autochthonym in South Africa ...
Most of the names listed by Lichtenstein (in this certain Verzeichniss), written with initial capital letters (of species), sure looks like autochthonyms (except for all those obvious Eponyms, of course), but note that he also, for example/s, lists: (no.49) "Anthus Chloris" and/or (No.238) "Crex Chloropus", both written/typed with an "initial capital letter".

I sure would love to see (or hear) a local African person yell out those names, and point at either one of those Birds! ;)

Take all of this post for whatever it's worth. The latter was just an observation. As I see it, Lichtenstein doesn't seem to have been very consistent, in how he used those inital capital, versus lower-case, letter/s.

That's it, enough of nitpicking for today ...
:brains:

Stay safe!

Björn

PS. Also compare with Lichtenstein's listed Mammals, on the preceding pages,
for example/s; "Otocyon Caffer", "Antilope Pygarga", "Mus Pumilio", etc., etc.

it started in thread HBWAlive Key; mission ...; here, post #562 (-564)]

--

Last edited:
Björn,
I agree that Lichtenstein was not wholly consistent in his treatment of specific epithets. However, both Chloris, for Greenfinch or anything greenish, and Chloropus, for Moorhen, were used as substantive or vernacular names in ornithology by Gessner 1555, and Aldrovandus 1599 (for Chloris), and Linnaeus 1758 (Chloropus), and were so treated by Lichtenstein. Doubtless the Tswana and Ndebele had their own (unrecorded) names for the pipit and the Moorhen.
All harmony.

DENDROCOLAPTES
[...]
"Dendrocolaptes HERMANN, Observ. Zool, p. 135, 1804— type by subs. desig. (SWAINSON, Mem. Wern. Nat. Hist. Soc., 3, p. 292, 1821) "Gracula cayennensis, of LINNAEUS" [= GMELIN] = Picus certhia BODDAERT." (Hellmayr, 1925, Cat. Birds Americas, Pt. IV, 259);
"Dendrocolaptes Hermann, Observ. Zool., 1804, p. 135. Type, by subsequent designation, "D. Cayanensis (Gm.), Pl. enl. 621" = Picus certhia Boddaert (G. R. Gray, List Gen. Bds., 1840, p. 18).1 ... 1 Swainson's earlier designation of the same species as the type is invalid, since he credits the genus to Illiger, 1811." (Peters, 1951, VII, 31).
Peters may have been correct in 1951, but he is wrong (and Hellmayr is right) under the current rules. The valid designation is unquestionably that of Swainson. The current Code says:
67.7. Status of incorrect citations. If, in fixing the type species for a nominal genus or subgenus, an author wrongly attributes the name of the type species, or of the genus or subgenus, to an author or date other than that denoting its first establishment, or cites wrongly the first express inclusion of nominal species in that genus or subgenus, he or she is nevertheless to be considered, if the nominal species was otherwise eligible, to have validly fixed the type species. For previous misidentifications deliberately employed when fixing a type species, see Articles 11.10 and 67.13.

Example. Aus Dupont, 1790, established without a type species, is best known from the work of a later author, Smith (1810). If subsequently Bus xus is designated as the type species of "Aus Smith, 1810", that designation is to be accepted as a designation of the type species for Aus Dupont, 1790, providing Bus xus was eligible for designation as type species of the latter. Errors in attributing the authorship or date of Bus xus would also be immaterial.
I.e., a type designation cannot be rejected on the mere account that a name in the designation was misattributed. Illiger explicitly attributed Dendrocolaptes to Hermann, thus there is no question that the name he used was Hermann's.
(Illiger's publication actually played a critical role in the fixation of a type for Dendrocolaptes, because Illiger was the first author to include nominal species in Hermann's name, which determined which nominal species were eligible to become the type. Hermann cited his species using French vernaculars only, which are not eligible to become the type.)

Brachyurus [correction]
(syn. Conopophaga † Black-cheeked Gnateater C. melanops) Gr. βραχυς brakhus short; ουρα ourα tail; "Denne fogel finnes tecknad uti Museo Carlsoniano, Tom. 4 och Tab. 84 under namn af Turdus triostegus. ... Jag har ansett det kunna få namn af BRACHYURUS och sin plats ibland Passeres, näst efter Turdus. Character Generis blifver då Rostrum capite brevius, rectum. Mandibula superior conico-trigona apice incurvo, longior, intra apicem utrinque excisa; inferior brevior, recta. Cauda alis (non longior) æqualis, rotundata. ... Förutan BRACHYURUS triostegus ifrån Ön Ceilon, har Brasilien i sednare tider skänkt osstvenne andra arter ... BRACHYURUS gularis. B. supra olivaceus pileo rubro; temporibus atris; subtus fuscus gula crissoque albis. ... BRACHYURUS ruber. B. supra fuscus maculis dorsalibus testaceis; subtus ferrugineis." (Thunberg 1821); "Brachyurus THUNBERG, Kongl. Vetenskaps Akad. Handl., 1821, Part 2, p. 371 (types Brachyurus gularis and B. ruber = Conopophaga m. melanops [VIEILLOT])." (Hellmayr, 1924, Cat. Birds Americas, Pt. III, 25). According to the Richmond Card Index, Turdus triostegus = Pitta brachyura. Var. Brachiurus.
I do not understand this.

There are several nineteenth-century designations for this name, and they all make triostegus the type (either directly, or via a designation of Pitta brachyura [not an originally included nominal species], with the originally included nominal species triostegus cited in the synonymy of brachyura, which fixes triostegus as the type under Art. 69.2.2).
Gray 1840 - https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/13668920
Gray 1841 - https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/14050266
Sclater 1888 - https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/8327775 + https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/8327785
Elliot 1895 - https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/40196103 + https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/40196167
Gray mis-dated the name, thinking it was much older than it actually is, but see Art. 67.7 in my last post. The name was correctly dated by Sclater and Elliot.

Besides, Hellmayr's statement above could in fact never be a valid type designation at all, because he designated simultanously as the "types" (plural!) two originally included nominal species. Even if these are now treated as taxonomically synonymous, this treatment is subjective and, nomenclaturally, these two nominal species are and remain entirely distinct entities (independent descriptions, different type specimens -- the description of gularis Thunberg is obviously that of a male, that of ruber Thunberg on a female): there is no way that they could both be the type of a genus-group name simultaneously.

Laurent, many thanks for elucidating Brachyurus. Originally I had doubts about the synonymy with Conopophaga, but followed Hellmayr blindly - so much to do, so little time. The Key MS entry has been corrected, duly acknowledged.
PS Could Corvus brachyurus be the type by Linnaean tautonymy?

Last edited:
PS Could Corvus brachyurus be the type by Linnaean tautonymy?
Tautonymy occurs in two flavors in the Code.
- Absolute tautonymy occurs when a newly proposed genus-group name is identical to an originally included available species-group name. The species-group name can either be a name used as valid for one of the taxonomic species included in the new genus in the OD, or cited as a synonym of one such name in the OD. When this is the case, the nominal species denoted by the name which is identical to the genus-group name is the type.
- Linnaean tautonymy occurs when a newly proposed genus-group name is identical to a one-word pre-Linnaean species name, which is cited from a pre-1758 source in the synonymy of one (and only one) originally-included available species-group name. When this is the case, the nominal species denoted by the available name which has this one-word pre-Linnaean name in its synonymy is the type.

Absolute tautonymy has precedence over Linnaean tautonymy. (Original designation and monotypy, the other two mechanisms of original type fixation, have precedence over both.) As currently defined, both types of tautonymy operate exclusively based on the content of the OD -- nothing not cited in the OD should enter consideration. (Not even in the case of a genus-group name was introduced without originally included species, and several nominal species included in an immediately subsequent work, one of which would have been the type by absolute/Linnaean tautonymy if an identical inclusion had been present in the OD. There is no 'subsequent tautonymy' in the Code; a subsequent designation is always needed in such cases.)

Corvus brachyurus Linnaeus 1758 is an available species-group name. It could in principle be the type by absolute tautonymy of a genus-group name 'Brachyurus' (introduced without a type designation and with more than one included taxonomic species denoted by an available name), but this would require that it be cited as being included in the genus in the OD. This name was not cited in the OD of Brachyurus Thunberg so far as I can see. (It could not possibly be the type by Linnaean tautonymy of a genus-group name 'Brachyurus', because, even if the conditions were fulfilled [a one-word name 'Brachyurus' cited in its synonymy from a pre-1758 source], it would also be the type determined by absolute tautonymy and, short of a fixation by original designation or monotypy, this is the fixation that would prevail.)

Linnaean tautonymy is quite rare outside of the very early binominal works (which cited pre-1758 works extensively.)

Last edited:
As soon as my PS was posted I knew the answer was no to any sort of tautonymy! The heat must be getting to me - lead me to a quiet, cool room with a couple of bottles of Cloudy Bay.

Bulletin 15: The glory and the nothing of a name.
Cornell are progressing the development of the Key, working on a solution to bring the taxonomy out in front of the subscription service (i.e. so that it is accessible to all), and are hoping to start building the stand-alone service on BOW in late October.

Agyrtria [updated]
(syn. Polytmus † White-tailed Goldenthroat P. guainumbi thaumantias) Gr. αγυρτρια agurtria collector, gatherer < αγειρω ageirō to gather (cf. Gr. myth. Agyrtes, a piper or a man who killed his father); "Agyrtria brevirostris (Orn. — LESS. 1829.) RCHB. — Guiana, Jal. Orizaba. *—— versicolor (Tr. — OLFERS 1835?) RCHB. — Brasil. * —— Thaumantias (Tr. — L. GM. 1766.) RCHB. — Guiana. * —— leucogastra (Tr. — er L. GM. 1766.) RCHB. — Caj. Bras. N.-Gran. * —— Milleri (Tr. — LODD. 1847.) RCHB. — Bras. Rio Negro. * —— Thalia (Tr. — GOULD Mus. SAUCEROTTE) RCHB. — patria? — viridipallens (Tr. — BOURC. 1846.) — Guatemala, Coban." (Reichenbach 1854); "Agyrtria Reichenbach, 1854, Journ. für Ornith., I, Extraheft, Aufzählung der Colibris, p. 10. Type, by subsequent designation (G. Gray, 1855, Cat. Genera Subgenera Birds Brit. Mus., p. 139 (Appendix)), Trochilus thaumatias, Linn." (mihi 2020).
Var. Argytira, Argyrtria.

Amazilis [upgraded]
(syn. Amazilia † Amazilia Hummingbird A. amazilia) Variant of genus Amazilia Lesson, 1843, hummingbird; "364. AMAZILIS, Less. 1832. Amazilia, Reichenb. 1849. Amazilius, Pr. B. 1849. (Ornismya Amazilis, Less.)" (G. Gray 1855); "Amazilis G. Gray, 1855, Cat. Genera Subgenera Birds Brit. Mus., p. 23. Type, by original designation, Ornismya amazilis Lesson = Orthorhynchus amazilia Lesson and Garnot." (mihi 2020).

Amazilius [updated]
(syn. Amazilia † Amazilia Hummingbird A. amazilia) Variant of genus Amazilia Lesson, 1843, hummingbird; "*180. Amazilius, Bp. (Polytmus, p. Gr.) America m. 13. 1. ORNISMYA AMAZILI, Less. (latirostris, Sw.) Voy. Coq. t. 31. 1. - Ois.-Mouch. t. 12. 13. ex Peru. 2. ORNISMYA arsinoe, Less. Ois.-Mouch. Suppl. t. 28. 29. ex Mexico. 3. ORNISMYA dumerili, Less. Ois.-Mouch. Suppl. t. 36. 4. TROCHILUS viridissimus, Gm? (viridicaudus, Saucer. Ornismya viridis, Less.) Trochil. t. 33. ex Brasil? 5. TROCHILUS corallirostris, B. Ann. Sc. Lyon, 1846. ex Guatimala. *6. TROCHILUS erythrorhynchus, Bp. Mus. Bonap. *7. TROCHILUS haematorhynchus, Bp. Mus. Bonap. 8. TROCHILUS norrissii, Bourc. Pr. Zool. Soc. 1847. p. 47. ex Peru. Guayaquil. 9. TROCHILUS flavescens, Loddig. (Ornismya paradisea, Boiss. 1840.) Pr. Zool. Soc. 1832. Species abnormis! 10. TROCHILUS riefferi, Bourc. Rev. Zool. 1843. p. 103. ex N. Granada. 11. TROCHILUS aglaiae, Bourc. Ann. Sc. Lyon. 1846. Patria ignota. 12. TROCHILUS sophiae, Bourc. Ann. Sc. Lyon, 1846. ex S.ta Fe de Bogota. 13. TROCHILUS edward, Delattre, Rev. Zool. 1846. p. 308. ex Isthm. Panama." (Bonaparte 1850); "Amazilius Bonaparte, 1850, Conspectus Generum Avium, I (1), p. 77. Type, by subsequent designation (G. Gray, 1855, Cat. Genera Subgenera Birds Brit. Mus., p. 23), Ornismya amazilis Lesson = Orthorhynchus amazilia Lesson and Garnot." (mihi 2020).
Var. Amaxilius.

ASPHALTOGLAUX
(‡ Strigidae; † Cécile's Owl A. ceciliae) Gr. ασφαλτος asphaltos asphalt, pitch; γλαυξ glaux owl; "Genus Asphaltoglaux nov. Type species: Asphaltoglaux cecileae sp. nov., monotypic ... Etymology: Form [sic] Greek asphalto, asphalt; glaux, owl; in reference to deposits, in which it has been found. Diagnosis. — Asphaltoglaux resembles Aegolius, and differs from the similar-sized Glaucidium, in characters of the tarso-metatarsus listed above that distinguish Aegolius from Glaucidium. ... Type locality: Rancho La Brea asphalt deposits; upper Pleistocene." (Campbell & Bochenski 2012) (OD per Fred Ruhe); "Asphaltoglaux Campbell and Bochenski, 2012, Acta Palaeontologica Polonica, 58 (4), p. 717. Type, by original designation and monotypy, Asphaltoglaux cecileae K. E. Campbell, Jr. and Z. M. Bochenski, 2012." (mihi 2020).

ceciliae [addition]
• Prof. Cécile Mourer-Chauviré (b. 1939) French palaeontologist (‡ Asphaltoglaux).

CYNANTHUS [work on sub-entries in progress; thoughts/guidance appreciated]
(Trochilidae; † Broad-billed Hummingbird C. latirostris) Gr. κυανος kuanos dark-blue; ανθος anthos blossom, flower (cf. "Cynanthus (!) Sws. ... Denn erstens hiesse das von κυων (Hund) und ανθος (Blume) gebildete Wort wörtlich übersetzt eine "Hundsblume" und wäre also wohl füglicher der Botanik zu überweisen" (Heine 1863));"G. CYNANTHUS. Swains. in Zool. Journ. No. 10. 96. Cynanthus latirostris. Green, beneath bluish; chin and throat sapphire blue ... 97. Cynanthus bifurcatus. ... 98. Cynanthus minimus. ... 99. Cynanthus Lucifer." (Swainson 1827 (June)); "Cynanthus Swainson, Philos. Mag. (n.s.), 1, June, 1827, p. 441. (Not Cynanthus Swainson, Zool. Journ., 3, Aug.-Nov., 1827, p. 357.) Type, by subsequent designation, Cynanthus latirostris Swainson. (Stone, Auk, 24, 1907, p. 192)." (Peters, 1945, V, 42).
Var. Cyananthus.
Synon. Circe, Cyanolampis, Iache, Phaeoptila.
• (syn. † ) "CYNANTHUS. Rostrum rectum, vel sub-arcuatum. Cauda longissima, forficata. Types. 1. T. colubris, L. 2. macrourus, L. 3. platurus, Sh. 4. bifurcatus, Sw. ined. 5. O. M. à queue singulaire. Temm., Pl. col. 18. f. 2. Bill straight or very slightly curved. Tail very long, forked." (Swainson 1827 (Nov.), Zool. Journal, III, 357). I have yet to find a type fixation for this name (but see next sub-entry).
• (syn. † ) "Cynanthus. Rostro recto vel subarquato, caude longissime forficata. Arten: T. colubris L., T. macrourus, bifurcus Swains. O. M. à queue singulière. col. 182." (Boie 1831, Isis von Oken, col. 547). Salvin 1892, Cat. Birds Brit. Mus., XVI, 398, gives Trochilus colubris Linnaeus as type of this name!
• (syn. † ) "CYNANTHUS, Sw. Bill cylindrical, more or less curved. Tail forked. C. forficatus. Auct." (Swainson 1837, Classif. Birds, II, 330). Salvin 1892, Cat. Birds Brit. Mus., XVI, 136, gives Cyanolesbia gorgo = Trochilus kingi Lesson as type of this name.

Erythronota [updated]
(syn. Amazilia † Copper-rumped Hummingbird A. tobaci erythronotos) Gr. ερυθρος eruthros red; -νωτος -nōtos -backed < νωτον nōton back (cf. specific name Ornismya erythronotos Lesson, 1829); "ERYTHRONOTA ANTIQUA. Erythronote. Ornismya erythronota, Less. Hist. Nat. des Ois.-Mou., p. 181, pl. 61. ... ARE we to regard the several birds generally known under the name of Erythronotes as one or as many species? ... Forehead yellowish shining green; crown and nape, back, wing- and tail-coverts coppery red ... ERYTHRONOTA FELICIÆ. Felicia's Erythronote. Ornismya Feliciæ, Less. in Rev. Zool. 1840, p. 72. ... ERYTHRONOTA EDWARDI. Wilson's Erythronote. Trochilus Edward, De Latt. et Bourc. Rev. Zool. 1846, p. 308. ... ERYTHRONOTA NIVEIVENTRIS, Gould. White-breasted Erythronote. Trochilus (— ?) niveoventer, Gould in Proc. of Zool. Soc., part xviii. p. 164. ... ERYTHRONOTA? ELEGANS, Gould. Elegant Erythronote. Erythronota? elegans, Gould in Proc. of Zool. Soc., part xxviii. p. 307. ... ERYTHRONOTA SAUCEROTTEI. Saucerotte's Erythronote. Trochilus Saucerottei, Bourc. et Delatt. Rev. Zool., 1846, p. 311. ... ERYTHRONOTA SOPHIÆ. Sophia's Erythronote. Trochilus Sophiæ, Bourc. Ann. Soc. Sci. Phys. et Nat. Lyon, 1846, p. 318." (Gould 1861); "Erythronota Gould, 1861, Monog. Trochilidae, V, pl. 316 and text. Type, by tautonymy and subsequent designation (Elliot, 1879, Smithsonian Contrib. Knowledge, 317, Classif. Synop. Trochilidae, p. 216), Ornismya erythronotos Lesson." (mihi 2020).
Var. Eryithronota.

Hemistilbon [updated]
(syn. Amazilia † A. ocai = A. cyanocephala x A. beryllina hybrid) Gr. ἡμι- hēmi- half-, small < ἡμισυς hēmisus half; στιλβων stilbōn, στιλβοντος stilbontos the planet Mercury, the glittering one < στιλβω stilbō to glitter; "Nearly allied to Cyanomyia is the Genus HEMISTILBON, Gould. (‘Hμι-, semi, et στιλβων, micans.) ... Although I have placed this genus next to Cyanomyia, I consider that it has some relationship to the Amaziliæ. 319. HEMISTILBON OCAI, Gould. ... 320. HEMISTILBON NORRISI" (Gould 1861); "Hemistilbon Gould, 1861, Introd. Trochilidae, p. 149. Type, by subsequent designation (Elliot, 1879, Smithsonian Contrib. Knowledge, 317, Classif. Synop. Trochilidae, p. 216), Amazilia ocai Gould." (mihi 2020).

kurochkini [updated]
(‡Glaucidium).

lessoni [updated]
(syn. Amazilia amazilia)

Leucodora [updated]
(syn. Amazilia † Amazilia Hummingbird A. amazilia dumerilii) Gr. λευκος leukos white; δορα dora skin; "Genre LEUCODORA, LEUCODORE ... Les Leucodores se distinguent de tous les autres oiseaux de ce rameau par leur ventre au moins en grande partie blanc. ... 1. LEUCODORA NORRISI, BOURCIER. ... Trochilus Norrisii (LODDIGES), BOURCIER, Proc. Zool. Soc. part. XV (1847) p. 47. ... 2. LEUCODORA EDWARDI, DELATTRE ET BOURCIER. ... Trochilus Edwardi, DELATTRE et BOURCIER, Rev. Zool. (1846), p. 308. ... 3. LEUCODORA NIVEIVENTRIS, GOULD ... Trochilus — ? niveiventer, GOULD, Proc. Zool. Soc. part. XVIII (1850), p. 164." (Mulsant & E. Verreaux 1874); "LES LEUCOLIAIRES ... AMIZILIATES ... Genre Leucodora, MULSANT. ... (Sous-genre Leucodora.) Edwardi, DELATTRE et BOURCIER. - Panama, Costa-Rica, Veragua. niveiventris, GOULD. - Veragua, Panama" (Mulsant 1876); "Leucodora Mulsant and E. Verreaux, 1874, Hist. Nat. Oiseaux-Mouches, I, p. 309. Type, by subsequent designation (Elliot, 1879, Smithsonian Contrib. Knowledge, 317, Classif. Synop. Trochilidae, p. 201), Trochilus norrisii Bourcier = Ornismya dumerilii Lesson." (mihi 2020).

martae [new entry]
"The species is dedicated to Marta Arzarello, of Ferrara University, who gives me unique emotions in my life and everyday enthusiasm in my work." (Pavia 2007) (‡Aegolius).

moresbyae / moresbyensis [updated]
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea. Beehler & Pratt, 2016, Birds New Guinea, pp. 515-516, chose not to recognise moresbyae, but indicated that, if the name were to be resurrected, its proper form should be moresbyensis, to reflect the toponym rather than the original eponymic termination (syn. Lonchura leucosticta).

Pinarolaema [updated]
(syn. Colibri † Sparkling Violet-ear C. coruscans) Gr. πιναρος pinaros dirty; λαιμος laimos throat; "PINAROLÆMA *, gen. nov. The general appearance of this bird reminds one of Lampornis; but it has an extremely long wing. In the latter respect it resembles Oreotrochilus; but it differs from this genus in its strongly curved and lengthened bill and in its very broad tail-feathers, while its extremely small feet seem peculiar to the genus. Pinarolæma Buckleyi, sp. n. ... Hab. Misqui, Bolivia, 10,000 feet. * πιναρος, sordidus; λαιμος, guttur" (Gould 1880); "Pinarolaema Gould, 1880, Annals Mag. Nat. Hist, ser. 5, V, no. 30, p. 489. Type, by monotypy, Pinarolaema buckleyi Gould = melanistic form of Trochilus coruscans Gould." (mihi 2020).

Pyrrhophaena [updated]
(syn. Amazilia † Amazilia Hummingbird A. amazilia) Gr. πυρρος purrhos flame-coloured, red < πυρ pur, πυρος puros fire; φαινω phainō to shine forth, to be conspicuous; "Gen. PYRRHOPHAENA **) Nob. — Amazilis (!) Less. 1829. Amizilis (!) Gray 1840. Lampornis Tsch. 1844 (nec Sws. 1827). Amazilia (!) Rchb. 1849. Amazilius (!) Bp. 1849. Amazillia (!) Scl. & Salvin 1859. 72. 1. P. Amazilia Nob. ... 73. 2. P. leucophaea Nob. ... 74. 3. P. Riefferi Nob. ... 75. 4. P. Dubusi Nob. ... 76. 5. P. beryllina Nob. ... **) Von πυῥῥος (röthlich) und φαινω (leuchten, glanzen). — Wir stellen u. a. noch hierher: 6. P. corallirostris. ... 7. P. Dumerili. ... 8. P. suavis nov. sp. ... 9. P. cerviniventris. ... 10. P. Norrisi. ... 11. P. Ocai." (Cabanis & Heine 1860); "Pyrrhophaena Cabanis and Heine, 1860, Museum Heineanum, III, p. 35. New name for "Amazilis (!) Lesson" and its variant spellings, considered barbarous; type Orthorhynchus amazilia Lesson and Garnot, 1827." (mihi 2020).

Saturia [updated]
(hybrid; Eriocnemis x Helianthea † Ornysmia isaacsonii) Saturia, a plebeian family of equestrian rank in ancient Rome (cf. L. saturior more rich < comp. satur, satura abundant < satis enough); "Genre Saturia, MULSANT. Isaacsoni, PAZUDAKI [sic]. — Nouvelle-Grénade." (Mulsant 1876).; "Saturia Mulsant, 1876, Annales Soc. Linn. Lyon, nouv. sér., XXII (1875), p. 217. Type, by monotypy, Ornysmia isaacsoni Parzudaki." (mihi 2020). Var. Satruia.

selimbauensis [correction: originally listed as selimbaue]
Selimbau, Kalimantan Barut / Borneo, Indonesia.

Uranomitra [updated]
(syn. Amazilia † Violet-crowned Hummingbird A. violiceps ellioti) Gr. ουρανος ouranos heaven, sky; μιτρα mitra diadem, head-band; "*Agyrtria ... *β. Uranomitra Franciae (Tr. — BOURC. MULS. 1846.) RCHB. — St. Fé de Bog. —— quadricolor (Tr. — VIEILL. 1818) SCHB. — Mexico. —— cyanicollis (Tr. — GOULD 1853?) RCHB. ? —— cyanocephala (Tr. — us MOLINA 1786.)? — Chili." (Reichenbach 1853); "Uranomitra Reichenbach, 1854, Journ. für Ornith., I, Extraheft, Aufzählung der Colibris, p. 10. Type, by subsequent designation (G. Gray, 1855, Cat. Genera Subgenera Birds Brit. Mus., p. 139 (Appendix)), Trochilus quadricolor, Vieillot = Amazilia quadricolor auct. = Uranomitra ellioti von Berlepsch. For readers who dispute the identity of Amazilia quadricolor (named twice by Vieillot), Elliot, 1879, Smithsonian Contrib. Knowledge, 317, Classif. Synop. Trochilidae, p. 195, gives Trochilus franciae Bourcier and Mulsant, as the type of Uranomitra." (mihi 2020).

Cornell are progressing the development of the Key, working on a solution to bring the taxonomy out in front of the subscription service (i.e. so that it is accessible to all), and are hoping to start building the stand-alone service on BOW in late October.

ASPHALTOGLAUX
(‡ Strigidae; † Cécile's Owl A. ceciliae) Gr. ασφαλτος asphaltos asphalt, pitch; γλαυξ glaux owl; "Genus Asphaltoglaux nov. Type species: Asphaltoglaux cecileae sp. nov., monotypic ... Etymology: Form [sic] Greek asphalto, asphalt; glaux, owl; in reference to deposits, in which it has been found. Diagnosis. — Asphaltoglaux resembles Aegolius, and differs from the similar-sized Glaucidium, in characters of the tarso-metatarsus listed above that distinguish Aegolius from Glaucidium. ... Type locality: Rancho La Brea asphalt deposits; upper Pleistocene." (Campbell & Bochenski 2012) (OD per Fred Ruhe); "Asphaltoglaux Campbell and Bochenski, 2012, Acta Palaeontologica Polonica, 58 (4), p. 717. Type, by original designation and monotypy, Asphaltoglaux cecileae K. E. Campbell, Jr. and Z. M. Bochenski, 2012." (mihi 2020).

ceciliae [addition]
• Prof. Cécile Mourer-Chauviré (b. 1939) French palaeontologist (‡ Asphaltoglaux).

Z. M. Bochenski: Bocheński is with a "ń", not a n and make it Zbigniew M. Bocheński born in Poland, I do not know when, his father was Zygmunt Bocheński (25/7/1935-28/11/2009) also a famous paleornithologist.

Cécile Mourer-Chauviré was born on the 5th of November 1939 and she still lives. She was the "founding mother" of the Society of Avian Paleontology and Evolution (SAPE) and was its first secretary which she did for 14 year before Gerald Mayr took it over. He was succeeded by Vanesa De Pietri. Some years ago Cécile Mourer-Chauviré retired, and she doesn't like that.
She made many contributions to paleorntithology from 1975 onwards. I had the good fortune to correspond with her a few times and can say she is a very nice lady!

Fred

Last edited:
Cornell are progressing the development of the Key, working on a solution to bring the taxonomy out in front of the subscription service
I agree with Björn. I hope my incessant whining helped in some small way. Lovely comments Mr. Ruhe.
I have not found too many publications of OLFERS about birds from his time in Brasil?
He is the author of Lanius inquisitor in MS:
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/89675#page/70/mode/1up .

martae [new entry]
"The species is dedicated to Marta Arzarello, of Ferrara University, who gives me unique emotions in my life and everyday enthusiasm in my work." (Pavia 2007) (‡Aegolius).

The paper was first on line in 2007. But the paper version was only published in 2008, so I think it must be "(Pavia, 2008)"

But let Laurent be the Judge!

Fred.

Cécile Mourer-Chauviré was born on the 5th of November 1939 and she still lives. She was the "founding mother" of the Society of Avian Paleontology and Evolution (SAPE) and was its first secretary which she did for 14 year before Gerald Mayr took it over. He was succeeded by Vanesa De Pietri. Some years ago Cécile Mourer-Chauviré retired, and she doesn't like that.
She made many contributions to paleorntithology from 1975 onwards. I had the good fortune to correspond with her a few times and can say she is a very nice lady!

Fred

To illustrate how important Cécile Mourer-Chauviré was and is, here is a paper by Ursula Göhlich, 2013.

Attachments

• 01_Tribute.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Bulletin 16: Who seek by trophies and dead things, to leave a living name behind.

Anactoria [updated]
(syn. Heliangelus † Longuemare's Sunangel H. clarisse) Gr. ανακτοριος anaktorios royal < ανακτωρ anaktōr, ανακτορος anaktoros lord, master; "*Trochilus ... * β. Anactoria amethysticollis (Orthorh. — D'ORBG. 1842?) — Cordiil [ sic]. or. Yracarès — Cochabamba. * —— Clarissa (Orn. — LONGUEM. 1842.) RCHB. — St. Fé de Bogota. * —— Libussa RCHB. — Nord-Peru. —— Strophiana (Tr. — us GOULD 1846.) RCHB. — patria?" (Reichenbach 1854); "Anactoria Reichenbach, 1854, Journ. für Ornith., I, Extraheft, Aufzählung der Colibris, p. 12. Type, by subsequent designation (G. Gray, 1855, Cat. Genera Subgenera Birds Brit. Mus., p. 140 (Appendix)), Trochilus clarissæ Longuem. = Ornismya clarisse Longuemare." (mihi 2020).

Architrochilus [upgraded]
(syn. Archilochus † Black-chinned Hummingbird A. alexandri) Gr. αρχι- arkhi- first, chief < αρχων arkhōn, αρχοντος arkhontos king, chief < αρχω arkhō to rule; genus Trochilus Linnaeus, 1758, hummingbird; "(B) Summer residents ... Architrochilus alexandri ... Genus ARCHITROCHILUS. ... Black-chinned Humming-bird. Architrochilus alexandri. A.O.U. Checklist no 429" (W. Sclater 1912); "Architrochilus W. Sclater, 1912, History Birds Colorado, pp. xv, 252. New name for Archilochus Reichenbach, 1854; Sclater probably misunderstood the classical basis of the original generic name." (mihi 2020) (see Archilochus).

Catharma [updated]
(syn. Calliphlox † Amethyst Woodstar C. amethystina) Gr. καθαρμος katharmos cleansing, purification < καθαιρω kathairō to cleanse; "Genus CATHARMA. ... CATHARMA ORTHURA. Ornismya orthura, Lesson, Hist. Nat. des Troch. pp. 85, 88, pls. 28, 29. ... It has been considered by some authors to be the same as Calliphlox amethystina, either the young of that species, or an old female! (vide Gould, Intr. Troch. 8vo ed. p. 98). Upon what grounds this last supposition should have arisen, I am at a loss to conceive, as Lesson's figure on pl. 28 is evidently that of a male in nearly adult plumage. ... Having lately come into possession of Lesson's types of this species, I am able to state that it not only is a perfectly distinct species, but also represents an entirely new genus, most nearly allied perhaps to Atthis. It has the form of Atthis, but the general coloration of Calliphlox amethystina." (Elliot 1876); "Catharma Elliot, 1876, Ibis, ser. 3, VI, p. 400. Type, by monotypy, Ornismya orthura Lesson = Trochilus amethystinus Boddaert." (mihi 2020).

Chrysobronchus [updated]
(syn. Polytmus † Green-tailed Goldenthroat P. theresiae) Gr. χρυσος khrusos gold; βρογχος bronkhos throat (cf. specific name Trochilus chrysobronchus Shaw, 1812 (= syn. Polytmus guianumbi)); "1551. Chrysobronchus, Bonap. (Smaragdites, Reich. nec Boie.)" (Bonaparte 1854, Ann. Sci. Nat. Zool.) (nom. nud.); "30. CHRYSOBRONCHUS, Bp. — 108. virescens, Dumont. — 109. viridissimus, Gm. 1788. (viridicaudus, Less.)" (Bonaparte 1854, Rev. Mag. Zool.); "Chrysobronchus Bonaparte, 1854, Rev. Mag. Zool., sér. 2, VI, p. 252. Type, by subsequent designation (G. Gray, 1855, Cat. Genera Subgenera Birds Brit. Mus., p. 139 (Appendix)), Trochilus viridissimus Vieillot, 1802 (not Gmelin, 1788) = Trochilus theresiae Da Silva Maia, 1843." (mihi 2020).

Discura [upgraded]
(syn. Discosura † Racquet-tailed Coquette D. longicauda) Gr. δισκος diskos plate; ουρα oura tail; "* Discura (Discosura BP.) RCHB. longicauda (Tr. — GM. 1788.) BP. — Guiana. *—— platura (Tr. —us LATH.) ligonicaudus GOULD. BP. — Brasilia." (Reichenbach 1854); "Discura Reichenbach, 1854, Journ. für Ornith., I, Extraheft, Aufzählung der Colibris, p. 8. Type, by subsequent designation (Elliot, 1879, Smithsonian Contrib. Knowledge, 317, Classif. Synop. Trochilidae, p. 140), Trochilus longicaudus Gmelin. A new, more euphonious name for Discosura Bonaparte." (mihi 2020) (see Discosura).

Eremita [updated]
(syn. Phaethornis † Reddish Hermit P. ruber) L. eremita hermit < Gr. ερημιτης erēmitēs hermit < ερημια erēmia desert; "*Eremita rufigaster (Tr. — VIEILL. 1807.) RCHB. — Brasil. * —— Davidianus (Tr. — LESS. 1832.) RCHB. — Guiana fr. * —— pygmaeus (Tr. — SPIX.) — Brasilia. * —— griseigularis GOULD 1851. — Peru." (Reichenbach 1854); "Eremita Reichenbach, 1854, Journ. für Ornith., I, Extraheft, Aufzählung der Colibris, p. 14. Type, by subsequent designation (G. Gray, 1855, Cat. Genera Subgenera Birds Brit. Mus., p. 139 (Appendix)), Trochilus rufigaster Vieillot, 1807 = Trochilus ruber Linnaeus, 1758." (mihi 2020).

Himalia [updated]
(syn. Ocreatus † Peruvian Racquet-tail O. peruanus) Gr. myth. Himalios or Himalis, an epithet of Demeter or Ceres, goddess of the harvest and fruitfulness, daughter of Saturn and Vesta; "LES PLATURAIRES. ... Genre Himalia, MULSANT. peruana, GOULD. — Pérou. Addae, BOURCIER. — Bolivie." (Mulsant 1876); "Himalia Mulsant, 1876, Annales Soc. Linn. Lyon, nouv. sér., XXII (1875), p. 224. I am currently unable to find a type fixation for this name, as previous authors appear to have overlooked it or confused it with Himelia, and here designate Spathura peruana Gould, 1849, as type of Himalia Mulsant, 1876." (mihi 9/2020).

lereboulleti [updated]
(syn. Cynanthus doubledayi)

Momus [updated]
(syn. Campylopterus † Grey-breasted Sabrewing C. largipennis obscurus) Gr. myth. Momus, god of ridicule and satire, usually represented as masked and carrying a small figurine; "Genre PYGORNIS, Pygornis ... 2e GROUPE. Rectrices non terminées par du blanc ou du pâle: les médiaires à peine plus longues que les sub-médiaires (S.-g. Momus). Obscurus, GOULD. Brésil. Class. de M. Gould >> Pygmornis 41" (Mulsant, J. and E. Verreaux 1866); "Momus Mulsant, J. and E. Verreaux, 1866, Mém. Soc. Imp. Sci. Nat. Cherbourg, XII (sér. 2, II), p. 163. Type, by monotypy, "Obscurus Gould" = Campylopterus obscurus Gould. Elliot, 1879, Smithsonian Contrib. Knowledge, 317, Classif. Synop. Trochilidae, p. 10, erroneously gives the type as Trochilus idaliae Bourcier and Mulsant = Phaethornis idaliae, not an originally included form." (mihi 2020).

Mychrorynchus [updated]
(syn. Ramphomicron † Purple-backed Thornbill R. microrhynchum) Gr. μικρος mikros small; ῥυγχος rhunkhos bill; "Race: MYCRORHYNQUES. mychrorynchus. Bec droit, très court; queue ample,fourchue, ailes robustes: tarses nus gosier brillant. — (pl. 45, 46 et 47.) L'ois. m. à queue anomale: Ornismyia heteropogon, Boiss. ... L'ois. mouche iris: Ornysmia iris Lesson ... L'oiseau mouche phœbe: Ornysmia phœbe, Lesson et Delattre ... L'oiseau mouc. de Rham: Ornysmia rhami, Less. ... L'oiseau mouche parzudaki: Ornismyia parzudaki, Less. ... L'ois. mouche à petit bec: Ornismyia michroryncha, Boiss." (Lesson 1843); "Mychrorynchus Lesson, 1843, Écho du Monde Savant, 10e année, 22 Oct. 1843, No. 32, cols. 756-757. Type, here designated by tautonymy, Ornismya microrhyncha Boissonneau." (mihi 9/2020). This name supercedes Ramphomicron Bonaparte, 1850, but, doubtless because of its vernacular base, has been all but forgotten.
Var. Mycrorhynchus, Mychrorhynchus.

ORARISTRIX
(‡ Strigidae; † Howard's Owl O. brea) L. orarius coastal, belonging to the coast < ora margin, coast; strix, strigis owl; "Oraristrix new genus Type and only included species. Strix brea Howard, 1933. ... Etymology. Oraristrix, from orarius, Latin, of the coast, and strix, Latin, owl. In reference to the species' known late Pleistocene distribution in coastal southwestern California." (Campbell and Bocheński 2010) (OD per Fred Ruhe); "Oraristrix K. Campbell Jr. and Z. M. Bocheński, 2010, in Proc. VII Intl. Meeting Soc. Avian Paleontology Evolution (eds. Boles and Worthy), Records Australian Mus., 62, (1), p. 125. Type, by original designation and monotypy, Strix brea Howard." (mihi 2020).

Orthorhynchus [upgraded and updated]
Gr. ορθος orthos straight; ῥυγχος rhunkhos bill.
• (syn. Chrysolampis † Ruby-topaz Hummingbird C. mosquitus) "Froriep (Dumeril's Analyt. Zool. 1806, 47) gives Trochilus minimus and mosquitus of Linnæus under the genus Orthorhynchus and is apparently the first author to include any species under this term, though the name had previously been used by several authors. If we take Trochilus minimus Linn. as the type of Brisson's genus Mellisuga it would leave Trochilus mosquitus Linn. as the type of Orthorhynchus." (Riley 1904) (see Microlyssa).
• (syn. Florisuga † White-necked Jacobin F. mellivora) "Orthorhynchus (Mellisuga) Auct. rostro recto: Troch. mellivorus, Colubris, minimus Lin." (Illiger 1811); "Orthorhynchus Illiger, 1811, Prodromus Syst. Mamm. Avium, p. 209. Type, by subsequent designation (Elliot, 1879, Smithsonian Contrib. Knowledge, 317, Classif. Synop. Trochilidae, p. 47), Trochilus mellivorus Linnaeus." (mihi 2020).
• (syn. Stephanoxis † Green-crowned Plovercrest S. lalandi) "15. Gatt. Orthorhynchus Cuv. Cephalepis Lodd. Schnabel fein pfriemenförmig, die Spitze des Unterschnabels etwas kuppig, kaum so lang wie der Kopf. ... 1. Orthorhynchus Delalandii Vieill. ... 2. Orthorhynchus Loddigesi Gould." (Burmeister 1856); "Orthorhynchus Burmeister, 1856, System. Uebers. Thiere Brasiliens, II, p. 351. Type, by subsequent designation (Elliot, 1879, Smithsonian Contrib. Knowledge, 317, Classif. Synop. Trochilidae, p. 179), T. delalandii Vieill. = Trochilus lalandi Vieillot." (mihi 2020).
• see Orthorhyncus

Panoplites [updated]
(syn. Boissonneaua † Buff-tailed Coronet B. flavescens) Gr. πανοπλιτης panoplitēs man in full armour < πας pas, παν pan entire; ὁπλιτης hoplitēs hoplite; "PANOPLITES JARDINI. Jardine's Panoplites. ... THE accompanying Plate is intended to represent one of the most beautiful of the Trochilidæ yet discovered; I say intended, for whatever success may have attended my attempts to convey an idea of the beauty of these exquisite living gems, I must confess that the means at my command are utterly inadequate to do justice to the present species, whose crown, back, shoulders and chest-sides are clothed with hues of metallic blue and green of such resplendent brilliancy, that it is quite impossible to represent them upon paper ... PANOPLITES FLAVESCENS. Yellow-fronted Panoplites. ... The Panoplites flavescens is one of the commonest of the Andean Humming Birds that is sent to Europe. ... PANOPLITES MATTHEWSI. Matthews' Panoplites. ... THE rich country of Peru is the native habitat of this very rare species" (Gould 1854); "Genus PANOPLITES, Gould. (Πανοπλιτης, omnino armatus.)" (Gould 1861); "Panoplites Gould, 1854, Monogr. Trochilidae, 2, pl. 110 and text. Type, by subsequent designation (G. Gray, 1855, Cat. Genera Subgenera Birds Brit. Mus., p. 140 (Appendix)), Trochilus flavescens Loddiges." (mihi 2020).
Var. Panapliptes.

Parzudakia [updated]
(syn. Heliangelus † Purple-throated Sunangel H. viola) Specific name Ornismya parzudaki Lesson, 1840 (= syn. Heliangelus exortis); "b. Microrhamphinae. ... *β. Parzudakia dispar (Orn. Parzudakii LESS. 1840.) RCHB. — St. Fé de Bog. * —— viola (Heliotrypha — GOULD 1853.) — Peru." (Reichenbach 1854); "Parzudakia Reichenbach, 1854, Journ. für Ornith., I, Extraheft, Aufzählung der Colibris, p. 12. Type, by subsequent designation (G. Gray, 1855, Cat. Genera Subgenera Birds Brit. Mus., p. 140 (Appendix)), Heliangelus viola Gould." (mihi 2020).

Ptyonornis [updated]
(syn. Phaethornis † Little Hermit P. longuemareus) Gr. πτυον ptuon fan < πτυσσω ptussō to fold; ορνις ornis, ορνιθος ornithos bird; "*Ptyonornis Eurynome (Tr. — LESS. 1832.) RCHB. — Bras. Rio Janeiro. * —— hispida (Tr. — us GOULD 1846.) RCHB. — Bolivia. * ——intermedia (Tr. — us LESS. 1832.) RCHB. — Brasil. * —— cephalus (Tr. — BOURC. MULS. 1848.) — Bras. Central-Amer." (Reichenbach 1854); "Ptyonornis Reichenbach, 1854, Journ. für Ornith., I, Extraheft, Aufzählung der Colibris, p. 14. Type, by subsequent designation (G. Gray, 1855, Cat. Genera Subgenera Birds Brit. Mus., p. 139 (Appendix)), Trochilus intermedius Lesson, 1832 = Trochilus longuemareus Lesson, 1832." (mihi 2020).
Var. Ptyornis.

purpurissus
L. purpurissus dark purple, highly coloured.

Stellura [upgraded]
(syn. Selasphorus † Calliope Hummingbird S. calliope) L. stella star; Gr. ουρα oura tail; "d.d. Tête verdâtre ou d'un vert brunâtre. Collerette formée de plumes allongées se détachant très sensiblement du corps. (S.-g. Stellura.) Calliope, GOULD. Mex., Californie. Class. de M. Gould. >> Stellura 161." (Mulsant, J. and E. Verreaux 1866); "Stellura Mulsant, J. and E. Verreaux, 1866, Mém. Soc. Imp. Sci. Nat. Cherbourg, XII (sér. 2, II), p. 232. New name (?or lapsus) for Stellula Gould; type Trochilus calliope Gould." (mihi 2020).

Stokoesiella [updated]
(syn. Sephanoides † Juan Fernandez Firecrown S. fernandensis) Dim. < specific name Trochilus stokesii King, 1831 (= syn. Sephanoides fernandensis); "e. Trochileæ. — 1585. Sephanoides, Less. — a. Eustephanus, Reich. — b. Stokoesiella, Reich." (Bonaparte 1854) (nom. nud.); "(2294.) THAUMASTE, Reichenb. 1854. "Stokœsiella, Reichenb." Pr. B. 1854? (Trochilus Stokesii, King.)" (G. Gray 1855); "Stokoesiella "Pr. B." G. Gray, 1855, Cat. Genera Subgenera Birds Brit. Mus., p. 141 (Appendix). Type, by original designation, Trochilus stokesii King (♀) = Trochilus fernandensis King (♂)." (mihi 2020).
Var. Stokesiella.

tendali
Tendal, Cajamarca, Peru.

vestinigra
L. vestis clothing; niger black, dark.

Xanthogenyx [updated]
(syn. Heliodoxa † Velvet-browed Brilliant H. xanthogonys) Gr. ξανθος xanthos yellow; γενυς genus jaw; "En conséquence nous proposons la création d'un nouveau genre d'Oiseaux-Mouches, que nous appelerions Xanthogenyx, dont l'Heliodoxa xanthogenys de Salvin serait le type et que nous définirions ainsi: Genre XANTHOGENYX ... Xanthogenya Salvini Nob. XANTHOGENYE DE SALVIN Syn. Heliodoxa xanthogenys Salvin, Ibis, 1881" (d'Hamonville 1883); "Xanthogenyx d'Hamonville, 1883, Bull. Soc. Zool. France, VIII, p. 77. Type, by original designation, Heliodoxa xanthogenys Salvin = Heliodoxa xanthogonys Salvin and Godman, 1882." (mihi 2020) (see Xanthogonys).
Var. Xanthogenix, Xanthogenya, Xanthogenys.

Xanthogonys [upgraded]
(syn. Heliodoxa † Velvet-browed Brilliant H. xanthogonys) Gr. ξανθος xanthos yellow; Mod. L. gonys gonys, lower mandible < Gr. γωνια gōnia angle (cf. specific name Heliodoxa xanthogonys Salvin and Godman); "En terminant cette notice, nous signalerons un errata de notre précédent travail sur les Colibris. Le copiste a écrit Xanthogenys [sic], tandis qu'il fallait écrire Xanthogonys, que ce nom soit employé spécifiquement ou génériquement" (d'Hamonville 1886); "Xanthogonys d'Hamonville, 1886, Bull. Soc. Zool. France, XI, p. 318. Belated correction of Xanthogenys = Xanthogenyx d'Hamonville, 1883." (mihi 2020) (see Xanthogenyx).

Last edited:
lereboulleti. Yes, is the answer to your questions. These Bulletins only refer to additional material to existing headers, and corrections (e.g. to type species). Although Saucerotte's name is only MS I came across it in Reichenbach, 1854, Aufz. der Colibris, and added it for completeness. Once BOWKey goes live I may change my mind!

Bulletin 16: ...
[...]
Mychrorynchus [updated]
(syn. Ramphomicron † Purple-backed Thornbill R. microrhynchum) Gr. μικρος mikros small; ῥυγχος rhunkhos bill; "Race: MYCRORHYNQUES. mychrorynchus. Bec droit, très court; queue ample,fourchue, ailes robustes: tarses nus gosier brillant. — (pl. 45, 46 et 47.) L'ois. m. à queue anomale: Ornismyia heteropogon, Boiss. ... L'ois. mouche iris: Ornysmia iris Lesson ... L'oiseau mouche phœbe: Ornysmia phœbe, Lesson et Delattre ... L'oiseau mouc. de Rham: Ornysmia rhami, Less. ... L'oiseau mouche parzudaki: Ornismyia parzudaki, Less. ... L'ois. mouche à petit bec: Ornismyia michroryncha, Boiss." (Lesson 1843); "Mychrorynchus Lesson, 1843, Écho du Monde Savant, 10e année, 22 Oct. 1843, No. 32, cols. 756-757. Type, here designated by tautonymy, Ornismya microrhyncha Boissonneau." (mihi 9/2020). This name supercedes Ramphomicron Bonaparte, 1850, but, doubtless because of its vernacular base, has been all but forgotten.
Var. Mycrorhynchus, Mychrorhynchus.
[...]
James, I'm sorry, but I have a hard time understanding the latter part (marked in blue), maybe simply due to my defective English/insufficient knowledge, but I have to ask:

Is Mychrorynchus really "... all but forgotten" ?

To me is seems almost, or all forgotten (or very, very close to it).

/B

Björn,
Yes, is the answer to your question also. "All but forgotten" = almost forgotten or very very close to being forgotten. Poor Mychrorynchus! The memorial service will be held at ,,,,,,,,,,,,
All serenity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back