• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

(Saudi) Wader identification (1 Viewer)

Quite strange looking. Looks most like a Common Redshank to me but with very yellow legs. Young birds tend to have orangey legs but this doesn't look like a juvenile. The shape and plumage look wrong for either of the Yellowlegs. It would help to know where the picture was taken.

Hi all,
This looks to be a Redshank to me also. Both yellowlegs, apart from being rare enough even in western Europe, would have a far longer primary projection beyond the tertials, Spotted Redshank would be paler above, longer-billed and have pale on the bill limited to the base of the lower mandible.
Regards,
Harry

lou salomon said:
yes it is redshank; hardly any colour on billbase strikes me - is that a feature of immaturity? orangey legs no problem.
Thanks guys, I'll put it down as a redshank. BTW the picture was taken on the eastern coast of Saudi Arabia.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back