• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tips for Approaching Birds (1 Viewer)

Long lens vs getting too close...

Easy call.

OP - Waterbirds will instinctively move away from the shoreline as you approach, even indirectly. They have a much smaller comfort zone than most bush birds as they are far more exposed / vulnerable.

If you are just walking on a nature stroll, this is simply a fact to be vectored in to your planning. If you want to shoot a specific bird, choose something close to the water's edge that can hide your approach from the bird and go no further than that when taking your pics.

ps If you're in my backyard you might want to keep an eye out for crocs... :)

Last edited:
A good rule of thumb, although it does not always work, is never look at the bird as you approach.

I've slowly approached many a bird, including hawks, by planting the tripod on the ground, setting up the shot and keeping my eyes focused on the view finder.

After a shot or two, I keep my eyes down, and slowly move the tripod and camera three steps closer.

Repeat the process until...well, until it does not work anymore.

Another way to approach birds is not to approach them. Allow them to approach you. Many species, including tyrant flycatchers and shorebirds do not really spoot around humans. If you can stand still for 15-30 minutes in a spot, usually the birds will drop on by to see what you are up to.

Amateur Tried and True method

Do not look the bird in the eye. This will let the bird know you are approaching and looking at it which will scare it quicker. Try looking down or away.

If there is anything around like a tree or a post etc..., position yourself in a sense where the object is in between you and the bird and walk closer until you are right behind the object, close enough to touch it or even closer you can rest the front of your body on it. Then you can peer from behind the object. If the object is not big enough, still position it where the object in between you and the bird is in the line of site for the bird meaning YOU cannot see the birds eye. This will mean there is a greater chance the bird cannot see you. Do this no matter how small the object is. Then, approach and peer around as the before method.

While doing these walk slowly and try not to step on any sticks or leaves if possible. If you can't avoid these than walk even slower.

Forgot to add* You will or may not be surprised to know how much a bird or any wild animal will remain calm if they think you are doing something else. Just yesterday while messing with my bird feeder a Robin stayed no more than 5 feet from me while I was working on my feeder. If a bird is in a tree you can use the technique of appearing to be doing something else and walking around below it and not looking up at the bird until you believe you are in the best spot to see it. I also believe that making noise while you are doing this will work. If you are being completely silent, this could "raise an eyebrow" for the bird. My personal opinion is that making noise will tell the bird you are busy doing something else. Again, it picks this up instinctively from being around other animals who are not paying attention to it and are making noise doing whatever they are doing. Have fun!

If you think you are able to do this, if taking a photo, when peering around an object still look down and aim the camera to take a picture. As soon as a birds sees your face it knows you see it. Even though a bird has no clue what a face is, it knows instinctively what a face is and what eyes are and when they are looking at it.

I have a lot of amateur experience approaching wild animals and these are my best methods I would recommend to anyone.

Last edited:
Move slowly, watch the birds behaviour. If it contineus to behave normal, contineu to move. If it starts behave strange and you think it will fly away, stand still. I have not myself used this method, I don't have the patience :)

Hello to everyone. this is my first post! My bird photography technique is to scout out a spot where birds gather, i.e.,with cover, trees, water , then wearing drab clothes turn up with two or three hours to spare and just sit there quietly, camera at the ready. All birds will fly away when you turn up but normally within ten or fifteen minutes they start coming back, the boldest first and will carry on basically as if I am not there. I have got some great photos like this and it is fascinating entering into the birds daily lives.

ps. am using a Canon SX50HS which has amazing range but does not appear too threatening to the birds. Am new to photography and learning every day!

Do not look the bird in the eye. This will let the bird know you are approaching and looking at it which will scare it quicker. Try looking down or away.

If there is anything around like a tree or a post etc..., position yourself in a sense where the object is in between you and the bird and walk closer until you are right behind the object, close enough to touch it or even closer you can rest the front of your body on it. Then you can peer from behind the object. If the object is not big enough, still position it where the object in between you and the bird is in the line of site for the bird meaning YOU cannot see the birds eye. This will mean there is a greater chance the bird cannot see you. Do this no matter how small the object is. Then, approach and peer around as the before method.

While doing these walk slowly and try not to step on any sticks or leaves if possible. If you can't avoid these than walk even slower.

Forgot to add* You will or may not be surprised to know how much a bird or any wild animal will remain calm if they think you are doing something else. Just yesterday while messing with my bird feeder a Robin stayed no more than 5 feet from me while I was working on my feeder. If a bird is in a tree you can use the technique of appearing to be doing something else and walking around below it and not looking up at the bird until you believe you are in the best spot to see it. I also believe that making noise while you are doing this will work. If you are being completely silent, this could "raise an eyebrow" for the bird. My personal opinion is that making noise will tell the bird you are busy doing something else. Again, it picks this up instinctively from being around other animals who are not paying attention to it and are making noise doing whatever they are doing. Have fun!

If you think you are able to do this, if taking a photo, when peering around an object still look down and aim the camera to take a picture. As soon as a birds sees your face it knows you see it. Even though a bird has no clue what a face is, it knows instinctively what a face is and what eyes are and when they are looking at it.

I have a lot of amateur experience approaching wild animals and these are my best methods I would recommend to anyone.

That's some solid advice. I think my kids would be great at bird watching as they already use this technique in an attempt to get out of chores haha.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back