• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you clean your Alpha glass...? (1 Viewer)

EricM

I just bought a pair of Swaro 8x32 EL SV binoculars and would like to know how everyone is cleaning their expensive glass?

Compressed air and a lens pen..?

Thank you,
Eric

I use a ladies soft makeup brush to remove any solid particles,dust etc,then I breathe on them and then wipe over with a micro cloth,perfect. Eddy

I put the lens under a tap and wash off any damaging particles, then buff as minimally as possible with a Zeiss lens cloth.

Tv, I've had, in the past and now, bins stated to be waterproof not only by the makers but by reviewers testing them, and I gave one a really rough time (not deliberately!) in the field, but I've never had the courage to hold one under a tap. Yes I know it's not logical. Yes I have seen Piergiovanni's "underwater photos". I have also seen reports of humans diving very deep...

For camera lenses over the years I've used, a blower or brush to remove loose particles, then a little lens cleaner solution and gentle use of microfibre cloth or lens tissue. I've not damaged a lens or lens coating in 40 years of doing it this way.

For the bins, so far I've used the cleaning kit that came with them.

With Swaro's (bins and scopes) I know people just take them into the shower with them after a a long seawatch in "ideal" conditions.

cheers
Gordon

1. Use a blower bulb or compressed air to gently remove particulate matter.

2. Use purified water to flush the surface if any particulates remain.

3. Use the compressed air to gently blow any purified water from the lens.

4. RoR can be used to remove any oils on the glass with good quality disposable lens tissues.

The lens should now be clean and bright, free from smears.

Microfibre clothes will almost inevitably become contaminated with particulates which will abrade lens coatings. I wouldn't allow anything to touch the glass until I was sure it, and the tissue, were particulate free.

With the silk cloth from a virgins underwear!
The same way you would clean any optical glass, whats the difference?

I've used blower brush and a clean microfibre cloth for many years without any issue but, as Phil Andrews says, 'carefully' is the key! For the occasional, unavoidable, stubborn greasy mark, try a LensPen. Works superbly - and safely - if used correctly; I never go birding without one. Its also good for bringing lenses back to 'fresh out of the box' condition when used periodically.

LL

I've used blower brush and a clean microfibre cloth for many years without any issue but, as Phil Andrews says, 'carefully' is the key! For the occasional, unavoidable, stubborn greasy mark, try a LensPen. Works superbly - and safely - if used correctly; I never go birding without one. Its also good for bringing lenses back to 'fresh out of the box' condition when used periodically.

LL

Len

You are spot on Len. The Lens Pen pad cleans right up to the rubber or plastic of the eyecup, after you have brushed the lens of course.

Lee

Depends on how dirty the lenses are. After a seawatch with lots of salt around I rinse them, then dry them off with a microfibre cloth. If it's not so bad I blow off any larger particles and clean the lenses with a microfibre cloth.

Generally speaking, I find modern coatings are fairly tough, much tougher than the first multi-coatings years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back