• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB second-hand binocular scheme (1 Viewer)

SteveTS

As far as I can see it has been over ten years since this scheme has had a mention on here:

RSPB second-hand binocular scheme

An opportunity to help others less fortunate by donating surplus or unused binoculars and spotting scopes (distributors and retailers with dead stock please note).

A couple of older threads: 2006, 2007.

Please post if you know of other schemes in operation elsewhere around the world.

Regards, Steve

Attachments

• Scope school.jpg
    Scope school.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 147
binoculars for conservation.

As far as I can see it has been over ten years since this scheme has had a mention on here:
An opportunity to help others less fortunate by donating surplus or unused binoculars and spotting scopes (distributors and retailers with dead stock please note).
Please post if you know of other schemes in operation elsewhere around the world. Regards, Steve

I was involved years ago with refurbishing the donated binoculars.
One real boost to the numbers of donated items came from Dixons.
They had a promotion which gave up to £30 off a new bino if you part exchanged an old one. An RSPB member who took advantage of the offer, then contacted the HQ to suggest someone asked Dixons what were they going to do with the old ones. Dixons agreed to donate them to the RSPB as long as they left the UK market. The first count was around 1500 pieces and the HQ were concerned that I would not be able to cope with that number.
I said we can't turn down such a brilliant offer and we would cope somehow.
The number went up week by week towards the end of the promotion when it reached 11500, they stopped counting.
Fortunately the RSPB had a good friend at the local RAF Station which had spare storage capacity so a 40 foot container duly arrived and was unloaded.
Over the next few years and with the help of the local RSPB members, the whole lot was sorted, useable ones refurbished and taken back to RSPB HQ for distribution abroad. The rubbish went to metal recycling.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back