• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is there any apps that can pick bird sounds? (1 Viewer)

Hi, I was looking for bird identification apps by sound that can be installed in phone. Once I hear a bird sound, I can turn the app on. The app will pick the sound and relay the information about the bird. Is there any apps at all? Thanks in advance!

Hi, I was looking for bird identification apps by sound that can be installed in phone. Once I hear a bird sound, I can turn the app on. The app will pick the sound and relay the information about the bird. Is there any apps at all? Thanks in advance!

Seriously doubt it, it would probably be very popular and possibly, very divisive among birders?

Larkwire (https://www.larkwire.com ) is an app that provides practice for identifying bird song, probably the nearest to what you're requesting.
An app that captures the song and provides the identification would need a pretty capable microphone and signal analysis to match.
That does not seem beyond the reach of the electronics industry though. Once phones get a bit more capacity, perhaps driven by 5G requirements, expect such a system to become commercially available, certainly within the next five years.

Decades ago, before smart phones, there was actually a device you could buy in the US that was fairly reliable in identifying songs. So I know it is possible but am not aware of any apps.

I'm actually "typing" this message now with speech recognition software, which I've used since 1998. So similar technology (that identifies specific words from sounds as opposed to species) has been around for quite some time.

Last edited:
There are apps that claim to do it. I am not aware of real time "listen and identify" apps, you have to record the sound and upload it for id. I did test one a while back, can't recall the name, it had a hit and miss success rate with recordings off xeno-canto and ones recorded straight to phone were hopeless.

You could either invest $$$ in recording kit and hope the AI behind the apps gets better, or you could just spend $ on some aides to learn the songs!

I have an app called song sleuth that claims to do just that with good recordings. Few recordings in my experience are good!

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back