• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Owl in Inverness City Centre (1 Viewer)

Mike Pennington said:
Plenty on Reporting Scotland on BBC. Its sitting in the open in a Monkey Puzzle Tree about 20-30 feet above a pavement!

That could be very messy, have passerbys been issued with an umbrella ? 3:)
Seriously though seen it myself on Rep Scot tonight, pity Inverness is 4 hours away or I might have went for a scetch.

Mike Pennington said:
Plenty on Reporting Scotland on BBC. Its sitting in the open in a Monkey Puzzle Tree about 20-30 feet above a pavement!

Have just heard they had some good footage on there. Hopefully they might repeat it this evening.

As far as pictures go, I am over 100miles away, but hopefully some wil appear in the press. Or from any birders down that way.
I think I would feel a bit embarassed lugging all the digiscoping gear round the city centre on my own.

It Must Be A Local

The bird seems to be a local,it has been heard saying "Hoots Mon" to passing tourists..!

Full story from Press and Journal Website.

A Massive owl with a wingspan of more than 6ft is swooping around Inverness city centre.

The eagle owl, the largest in Europe, has been thrilling crowds after it arrived recently.

One of its favourite haunts is a tree in Gordon Terrace overlooking the River Ness but it has visited other parts of the Highland capital including scaffolding at the new Scottish Natural Heritage building at Craig Dunain and in Ness Walk.

Experts believe it is a captive bird which escaped or was released.

The eagle owl is found in north Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Europe.

It is extremely rare in Britain but some have been seen before in the Highlands.

Eagle owls have been blamed in the past for swooping out of the sky and plucking cats and small dogs but yesterday the RSPB stressed that such incidents were made up.

Commenting on the owl being in an Inverness tree, an RSPB Scotland spokesman said: "That does possibly suggest that it is a captive bird that has somehow got out and the fact that people have seen it would suggest that it is reasonably happy to be in the same proximity as human beings.

"There have been claims about cats and dogs but that's probably sensationalist stuff - however, they are obviously a big predator.

"In terms of what they can eat, they are known to eat quite a wide variety of mammals and birds and the RSPB's concerns about them are that they need to be monitored because they are such a large predator.

"We would like to see them monitored more closely since they might be taking scarce birds to eat as part of their diet, something like hen harriers that we're trying to preserve."

The major part of their diet consists of rabbits, voles, rats, mice, foxes and hares but it can take birds of all types including crows, ducks, grouse, seabirds, and even other birds of prey - including other owls. Other prey taken include snakes, lizards, frogs, fish, and crabs.

It is the giant of all the European owls and can grow to be more than 2ft.

The eagle owl's feathers are flecked in shades of brown and black and its mottled appearance gives it camouflage and means it is less likely to be disturbed when roosting during the day. It has two distinct ear tufts but its ears are actually on the side of its face.

Seems the RSPB are pretty keen to stress it won't take cats. Like hell won't it, fox and small deer are listed as regular prey items in the wild. Hunting at night in the centre of Inverness........now what would be the easiest and most abundant mammal????? Looked pretty healthy on the news! Interesting to get hold of a pellet from under the tree........will try tomorrow.

Last edited:
Mike Pennington said:

BUT I don't possess a TV! and there doesn't seem to be any with the on-line report. Can someone pleeeese go to Inverness for me and take some!!!!

A CHAPLIN said:
Hi Deborah,

I second you, have we any members near Inverness that can please get us some photos?

Ann

Best I could do........couple of captures from the news item.

JP

Attachments

• Eagle Owl 1.jpg
    Eagle Owl 1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 361
  • Eagle Owl 2.jpg
    Eagle Owl 2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 288
jpoyner said:
Best I could do........couple of captures from the news item.

JP

Nape looks very gingery buff with not much heavy dark marking- any views on whether this is a Bengal type or a W European EO?

jpoyner said:
Full story from Press and Journal Website.

A Massive owl with a wingspan of more than 6ft is swooping around Inverness city centre.

The eagle owl, the largest in Europe, has been thrilling crowds after it arrived recently.

One of its favourite haunts is a tree in Gordon Terrace overlooking the River Ness but it has visited other parts of the Highland capital including scaffolding at the new Scottish Natural Heritage building at Craig Dunain and in Ness Walk.

Experts believe it is a captive bird which escaped or was released.

The eagle owl is found in north Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Europe.

It is extremely rare in Britain but some have been seen before in the Highlands.

Eagle owls have been blamed in the past for swooping out of the sky and plucking cats and small dogs but yesterday the RSPB stressed that such incidents were made up.

Commenting on the owl being in an Inverness tree, an RSPB Scotland spokesman said: "That does possibly suggest that it is a captive bird that has somehow got out and the fact that people have seen it would suggest that it is reasonably happy to be in the same proximity as human beings.

"There have been claims about cats and dogs but that's probably sensationalist stuff - however, they are obviously a big predator.

"In terms of what they can eat, they are known to eat quite a wide variety of mammals and birds and the RSPB's concerns about them are that they need to be monitored because they are such a large predator.

"We would like to see them monitored more closely since they might be taking scarce birds to eat as part of their diet, something like hen harriers that we're trying to preserve."

The major part of their diet consists of rabbits, voles, rats, mice, foxes and hares but it can take birds of all types including crows, ducks, grouse, seabirds, and even other birds of prey - including other owls. Other prey taken include snakes, lizards, frogs, fish, and crabs.

It is the giant of all the European owls and can grow to be more than 2ft.

The eagle owl's feathers are flecked in shades of brown and black and its mottled appearance gives it camouflage and means it is less likely to be disturbed when roosting during the day. It has two distinct ear tufts but its ears are actually on the side of its face.

Seems the RSPB are pretty keen to stress it won't take cats. Like hell won't it, fox and small deer are listed as regular prey items in the wild. Hunting at night in the centre of Inverness........now what would be the easiest and most abundant mammal????? Looked pretty healthy on the news! Interesting to get hold of a pellet from under the tree........will try tomorrow.

Most abundant mammal in centre of Inverness same as everywhere else - Norway Rat wins by a mile! Notwithstanding, Eagle Owls strike fear in cats - check out Blast From the Past on Surfbirds.

Season's Greetings everybody

Four Birds ???

Was told today by a local at the site that there are seemingly FOUR Eagle Owls present, confirmed by photographs taken by "someone from the RSPB"???

No idea if this is true.......none present at 1pm today anyway, but a lot of passers by stopping to stare up in to a lone Monkey Puzzle tree and ask "is he there today".......seems to have become a bit of a "local hero".

JP

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back