• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Ireland (1 Viewer)

3629Annette

Hello! I am asking for help in choosing a birding site in Ireland. I will be traveling in late April with a non-birder and for that reason must limit my birdwatching to one place only. Can anyone with experience birding Ireland help me to choose the best place to see pelagics? Thank you for any suggestions.

Hi Annette and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I've moved your thread to the specific "Ireland sub-forum" and I have subscribed you to this thread so you don't lose track of it ;) Best of luck :t:

You could check with BirdwatchIreland.ie as a starting point !
What area of Ireland are you visiting ? The east coast (Louth - Wexford could be worth checking out if you are Dublin based) . Down south, Cape Clear - west Cork is good also). On the west coast - Clare coast (incl Cliffs of Moher) worth checking out, also Galway Bay.
Not sure what areas on the coast will be good for sea watching in May but I'm sure the good folks here in Birdforum will advise . Welcome and hope you have a good time here !

If its breeding seabirds and you want good views there are a few options. In Dublin, Howth Head is very good for breeding seabirds and is easily accessed by rail and bus with a moderate walk to the cliffs from the pier. If you plan a trip to the islands for seabirds. I would recommend Saltee Island in Wexford (day boat trip) with really close views of sea birds nesting. If your in Donegal Tory Island (day boat trip and has accomodation) is good for puffins and Corncrake but views are a little more distant. I dont know the west coast so well but Clare Kerry Cork and Galway would all have something to offer but you would need a car for most sites outside Dublin.
You need to get Where to watch birds in Ireland by Eric Dempsey and Michael O Cleary so you can plan your trip to best effect.

Happy Holiday;)

Hi Annette - I imagine that you are looking for sites with a good mix of species rather than ones that are rare in Ireland.
My recommendations for first-time visitor to the east coast would be:
St Stephen's Green, Dublin - small park but with a surprisingly large number of the commoner species of woodland and garden birds, which are tamer here than elsewhere. Rest of the family can go shopping on Grafton St!

North Bull Island, Dublin, accessible by causeway and with a good selection of waders, ducks, gulls and meadow species. Also has a golf course and wind/kitesurfing.

Ireland's Eye - good for breeding seabirds, seals and dolphins. By boat from Howth Harbour if the weather is calm. Fishing is also good here.

Glendalough, Co. Wicklow - good for forest birds and some lake species. You may also see raptors such as Red Kite. Very pretty picnic place on a nice day, with archaealogical/historic sites.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back