• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens Performance Question (1 Viewer)

redtail7

Hi guys
I have a question on lenses, Do you get the same quality of picture from a lens lets say Nikon AF-S DX 18-70mm F3.5-4.5G and a Nikon 18-200mm F3.5-5.6 VR IF ED used on the 18-70mm section only. And also would the results be the same when a flash is used. Man I hope I've worded this right so you understand. I basically want to know if the 18-70mm lens would be better for indoor photos than the 18-200 which I already own. I'm using the D-300.

Thanks Redtail7

Hi guys
I have a question on lenses, Do you get the same quality of picture from a lens lets say Nikon AF-S DX 18-70mm F3.5-4.5G and a Nikon 18-200mm F3.5-5.6 VR IF ED used on the 18-70mm section only. And also would the results be the same when a flash is used. Man I hope I've worded this right so you understand. I basically want to know if the 18-70mm lens would be better for indoor photos than the 18-200 which I already own. I'm using the D-300.

Thanks Redtail7

It's hard to say for certain, but the 18-200mm should have more compromises e.g. more distortion, lower contrast, not so sharp. You can get some idea by looking on www.Photozone.de.

advice on indoor lens

Hi guys

Thanks Redtail7

If you can live without the zoom function, the 50/1.8 AF would be a brilliant lens for indoor use. Significantly better than the two lenses you mention.

cheers

Tom

I'd throw in the equation another lens - Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8.
It's significantly better (sharper, better contrast) and brighter (f2.8 constant aperture), particularly well suited for low light use.
I used to own the combo (D300 & Tamron 17-50) and loved it.
Given the camera's excellent ISO performance and the speed of the lens I could virtually shoot in any light with reasonable shutter speeds.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. Although the 50mm f/1.8 is a great lens the relatively narrow angle/field of view is a bit too restrictive for indoor use on the D300.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back