• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird in Bordeaux (1 Viewer)

JPeccoud

I saw this guy in the Medoc area just north of Bordeaux. He's blackbird sized, or slightly larger. It seemed like there were quite a few in the trees, but this was the only one I could get a look at when he flew to the ground. I'm travelling without binoculars and guides (not that useful for wine tasting), but I'd love to know if anyone knows. Thanks!

Attachments

• French bird.JPG
    French bird.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 133
It's a wagtail... it looks like a white wagtail... but if it had any trace of yelllow on its underparts it'll be a grey wagtail

I saw this guy in the Medoc area just north of Bordeaux. He's blackbird sized, or slightly larger. It seemed like there were quite a few in the trees, but this was the only one I could get a look at when he flew to the ground. I'm travelling without binoculars and guides (not that useful for wine tasting), but I'd love to know if anyone knows. Thanks!

Your bird is certainly a Pied/White wagtail. Both the same species, just different races. White is most likely considering where you took this. Larger than a blackbird seems a gross over-estimation of the size of any wagtail. They are all about equal in size.

Steve

I tend to agree with white wagtail, but I cannot see any black on the breast, so although no visible yellowish tinge, what do you thing of a young yellow wagtail?

I tend to agree with white wagtail, but I cannot see any black on the breast, so although no visible yellowish tinge, what do you thing of a young yellow wagtail?

I would expect young Yellow to show at least some yellow colouration around the vent, and not look so 'cold' as this bird. The amount of black is very variable in juv Pied/white. This bird just says Pied/White to me.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back