• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which batteries? (1 Viewer)

My wife uses rechargeables in her Fuji bridge camera and she always uses Duracell. She did get some generic ones from 7dayshop but they never held a charge very long-she would charge three sets and when she went to use them two days later they gave up the ghost after a few shots.

Whatever you get just remember that using the power zoom and constatntly chimping will eat battery power.

Hope this helps.

It is rare for a whole set of batteries to fail, I tend to buy more than I need and charge them using this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003S4JQS2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It tells you how much charge each cell is taking and allows you to weed out the duds. It can also cycle through a refresh cycle to revitalise ageing batteries but takes ages on a sensible slow charge rate (days).

Needs a little dexterity of fingers and a bit of practice but it meant that I had sets of decent batteries and allowed me to fling just the no-hopers.

Fairly important to me at one time since I used rechargeable AA cells for my two way radios.

Several people have asked this question in the past and there is quite a following for Sanyo Eneloop batteries which have proven reliable for me too.

Just type eneloop into the search forums box and you will get threads that contain references to these batteries.

Several people have asked this question in the past and there is quite a following for Sanyo Eneloop batteries which have proven reliable for me too.

Just type eneloop into the search forums box and you will get threads that contain references to these batteries.

Agree wholeheartedly with this advice.
Should add that the Sanyo Eneloops have excellent charge retention, losing only a few percent of the charge per month. They come in various capacities, 2500mAh is the highest I've seen for AAs.
A frequently offered package is the charger and 4 AA Eneloops, a combo that works well for me.

am assuming the battery has to be 1.5v....ic some the eneloops at 1.2v ?

does the ampage matter ?

(can you tell i didnt pass olvl physics)

The 2500 mAh is a measure of capacity, about double the 1200mAh claimed for the batteries listed in the eBay ad initially posted. So they will allow more shots before needing to be recharged.
The voltage for rechargeables is indeed a bit less than for basic alkalines, but the difference is small enough for the equipment to perform.
That said, for lower cost LED flashlights the slightly higher voltage lithium AAs will give a bit brighter beam. At a higher price, of course.

You don't mention the camera that you want the batteries for, the last camera I owned that took rechargeable and alkaline cells was a Fujifilm HS20. There was a menu setting where you told the camera which kind of battery you are using so that its battery monitoring worked correctly. It warned that running rechargeables with the alkaline setting would not damage the camera but could cause the camera to shut down prematurely giving the impression that the batteries were exhausted. Even if you no longer have the original manual these can normally be downloaded for free from the manufacturers website, and it doesn't hurt to check this sort of thing out from time to time.

N.B. Most non rechargeables may start at appx 1.5 v but drop voltage before they are exhausted anyway.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back