• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Changes in Farming Methods and Birds (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
Here is an article about Biodiveristy Conservation - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6275179.stm

I read this article about the effects of changes in agricultural methods on our bird population and found it very interesting. It would seem that genetically modified crops have less of an impact on bird populations than first thought.

It is imperative to strike a balance between an increased need for agricultural production and a need to protect the environment.

Yes very interesting although I think I will have to read it two or three times before it sinks in!

Now do I sense a debate coming on about GM crops? As you mention Kits, 'striking a balance' is the only practical way forward.

Hi Kits Very interesting article, like Brian I will take a bit of time to absorb its full meaning.

PeterK

Hi Kits,

I agree with the lads, very interesting. My only immediate reaction is do they have any quantifiable actual data to compare to the theoretical? In particular I'm thinking of the Hope Farm project and whether that can be used as a comparison.

I know that Hope Farm has not looked at GM crops (at least I don't think that they have) but their practical experience over the last few years ought to be of direct interest to the non-GM baseline.

Regarding the GM-non GM debate I was going to make some comments but I think that I'll wait and get more info.

Bill.

Last edited:
Hi Kits.
Thanks for that.
I do wish some of these scientists would put things in plain English. I think we all get the gist of what they're saying, but it would for instance be good to know why the Meadow Pipit would be the only one ' likely to be reclassified to a less favourable conservation status ' by the introduction of GM crops? I would like to know how the use of GM crops would impinge on the welfare of the M. Pipit, and why not on others?

All the best.
Baz.

Hi Kits and All. I just find it encouraging that a risk assessment which predicts the impact of changes in farming activities on bird populations has been developed. We will have to pay the farmers to take notice of it. That's OK with me. I know I'm side stepping the GM issue.
Roy.

Thanks for that link Kits. I've read it through a couple of times and it does seem interesting, but I'll reserve judgement until having another read in the fresh light of tomorrow. I'd certainly go along with Bill's need for actual data for comparisons though. Whatever happens, it certainly doesn't spell good news for the poor Meadow Pipit that feeds so much in that type of land.

All of it interesting, but not convinced.

Sceptic Sue.

BazR said:
Hi Kits.
Thanks for that.
I do wish some of these scientists would put things in plain English. I think we all get the gist of what they're saying, but it would for instance be good to know why the Meadow Pipit would be the only one ' likely to be reclassified to a less favourable conservation status ' by the introduction of GM crops? I would like to know how the use of GM crops would impinge on the welfare of the M. Pipit, and why not on others?

All the best.
Baz.

From the way i read it, Baz, i don't think its the case that only the M. Pipits will be affected, but they'll be the only ones so badly affected their status will change. It seems quite a wierd way of putting it, can't trust these scientist folk and their roundabout ways!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back