• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (4 Viewers)

Today's sightings:

A pair of Teal on New Mill floods
Little Owl at Ladywood
Willow Warbler singing and showing well just west of Salwarpe village
1 Tufted Duck at Tapenhall and 2 at Hawford (all drakes)
5 Yellowhammers (2 males) at Egg Lane, Mildenham plus 1 female near Chatley
1 Peregrine near Chatley
A pair of Gadwall at Hawford
1 Greylag over Mildenham and 2 over Porter's Mill
Singing Blackcaps at New Mill (1), Ladywood (2) and Salwarpe (2+)
Siskins, Meadow Pipits and the odd Redpoll still regularly encountered but no winter thrushes at all recorded today.
Several decent flocks of Linnets (up to 50 birds) at Copcut Rise

250 - 300 Sand Martins plus a few Swallows gathering at Coney at dusk (I left early due to heavy showers).

Also, Chiffchaffs (35+), Ravens, Grey Wagtails at Salwarpe and Porter's Mill, Kingfishers at Salwarpe and Mildenham, Buzzards, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Stock Doves, Coots, Moorhens, Nuthatch, singing Treecreeper, Coal Tit, Goldcrests, Reed Buntings, Grey Herons, Cormorants.

A Water Rail called from Coney reedbed early this morning. They have been relatively quiet lately which, presumably, means they're breeding.

A pair of Gadwall were on New Mill floods. 2 singing Blackcaps around Salwarpe amongst the dawn Chorus. Two Ravens flew from their roost.

c300 Sand Martins roosted yesterday evening plus one Swallow and about 50 Pied Wags.

A Green Sandpiper this evening at Copcut Rise in one of the newly created drainage lagoons. This area could prove interesting over the next few weeks as long as they don't restrict the access along the footpath again.

A flock of 50+ Linnets still also.

Easily 300 Sand Martins in the roost at Coney plus 2 Swallows. Plus 2 Snipe just flew out.

Last edited:
IIRC my earliest Gropper was 5th April a few years back.

Just checked - 05/04/14 is my earliest at Coney - possibly my earliest anywhere.

Last edited:
No sign of the Gropper this evening - but they are often unpredictable early in the season.

400 - 500 Sand Martins roosted.

A Green Sandpiper was at Copcut Rise again.

Greylag this morning.

Grasshopper Warbler singing briefly just before 6am - difficult to pinpoint exactly where the bird is but definitely nearer the Droitwich side.

2 Green Sandpipers together at Copcut Rise this evening.

2 Little Owls seen today - one at Ladywood and the other at Jacob's Ladder.

Singing Willow Warbler at New Mill this morning.

Swallows at Egg Lane, Copcut and Ladywood (5).

4 House Martins at Ladywood.

2 Yellowhammers Egg Lane.

A Curlew at Copcut Rise - the first I've seen on the patch for a few years.

Two Green Sandpipers still. Singing Willow Warbler also.

Grasshopper Warbler very briefly just before 6am at Coney - very cold and frosty.

Further sightings:

2 Gadwall Tapenhall, singing Willow Warbler at Hawford, Swallows at Hawford, Chatley (2), Copcut and Salwarpe, Tufted Duck at Hawford, 10 Greylags over Coney yesterday, 400+ Sand Martins roosting at Coney, Treecreeper, Goldcrests, Kestrels, Buzzard, Sparrowhawks, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Coots (6), Meadow Pipits, Grey Wagtlails, Siskins over in several places plus Redpoll over near Tapenhall, Grey Herons.

A very bold American Mink took Moorhen eggs from its nest at Porter's Mill.

An Egret sp. seen distantly yesterday as it flew over High Park was probably a Little Egret but the views I had wete very poor.

1 Small Tortoiseshell.

Last edited:
A Tawny Owl was hooting from High Park this evening.

500+ Sand Martins and a few Swallows roosted. A Cetti's Warbler called.

1 Willow Warbler at Salwarpe this morning.

Osprey over Mildenham between Porter's Mill and Hawford - briefly landed in tree then headed along river Salwarpe towards Grimley.

Also male Wheatear in freshly sown field along Egg Lane.

An excellent birding session yesterday evening - time was limited and my ability to walk any distance is impaired due to a dodgy foot at the moment, so I decided to drive around the patch:

I particularly wanted to check out a field along Egg Lane which, based on recent rambles around the area, looks ideal for Wheatears - recently tilled, sparsely vegetated and slightly elevated from the Salwarpe Valley. I parked the car in a gateway which gives good views of both the field and the valley below. My first scan and bingo! - a male Wheatear - my first this year. What I wasn't expecting, however, was an Osprey to drift over the same field a couple of minutes later! Patch Tick! The bird flew straight in front of me and headed towards a distant group of trees, where it perched briefly before heading down the Salwarpe valley towards the confluence with the river Severn. With at least 5 fishing pools in this area, I guess it's not too surprising that it would attract an Osprey and it is probably a long overdue addition to my patch list.

Other sightings:

Singing Willow Warbler Copcut
Muntjac Deer High Park
several bats at dusk

Little Owl showing well at Ladywood this morning.

A pair of Mandarin Duck on Tapenhall fishing pool this morning.

A Coot on New Mill floods was unusual for that area.

Willow Warbler singing at Mildenham plus another west of Salwape.

A Common Whitethoat at Coney Meadow plus several Swallows and 2 House Martins over.

Two singing Sedge Warblers between Tapenhall and Mildenham.

4 Gadwall, 1 Greylag, 4 Coot and 7 singing Willow Warblers in the area. Female Yellowhammer and 4 RL Partridges Egg Lane.

Singing Reed Warbler between Mildenham and Hawford.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back