• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2018 (1 Viewer)

Here's the update. I need to get an update from Dan, who's added 31 species since my last contact with him. The thing to celebrate is the fact that the Deans became the first birders to have back-to-back 700+ ABA Big Years!

Regarding Hawaii: my opinion (worth every cent it costs) is that nobody knows the best time to go to Hawaii as this is such a new wrinkle. All the previous Big Year birders who included Hawaii knew they were taking a chance at missing some vagrants, but it was outweighed by the 50+ species that Hawaii could produce. To get 800+ you need Hawaii.

Joe

Attachments

• NewABABigYears2018.xlsx
    108.5 KB · Views: 21
  • NewABABigYears2018ByCode.xlsx
    589.9 KB · Views: 17
Time for a new update, as ABA has officially added four species to the checklist. This knocks down most of the Big Year birders' provisionals, with the exception of the Black-backed Oriole. Nicole has House Crow on her list, but I have no idea if ABA is even considering that one.
I'll need to add the 2018 birders into the Continental lists, but that'll happen soon.
Yve Morrell officially (well, as official as it gets for me...) moves into third place for the New ABA!

Joe

Attachments

• ContinentalBigYears2018.xlsx
    113.2 KB · Views: 19
  • ContinentalBigYears2018ByCode.xlsx
    600.9 KB · Views: 18
    108.7 KB · Views: 23
    590.3 KB · Views: 15
Nicole is at 736 +1; the Deans are at 707.
Their eBird lists will be off by one, as the new eBird update gave them Mexican Duck, which was not approved as a split by the AOS.

Joe

Gaylee found a mistake in one of my formulae; all fixed!
Numbers updated as of last evening.

Joe

Attachments

108.7 KB · Views: 37
    590.3 KB · Views: 19
Dan Gesualdo checked in with an update: 667 species in the Lower 48. All traveling done by car (or pelagic), no flying!
Nicole's eBird number is accurate, as her Mexican Duck was actually in Mexico (go figure).

News flash! The Black-backed Oriole was added to the ABA Checklist, so the book on 2017 is now closed. The lists have been adjusted, and congrats go out to Yve Morrell, who now has the third-best ABA Big Year!

Joe

Attachments

109.2 KB · Views: 19
    590.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I see that Nicole is now in Gambell and I guess that her overall total is going to be dependent on the rarity season here. She seems to have mopped up a few missing species eg Steller's Eider and Yellow-billed Loon quickly and picked up Sharp-tailed Sandpiper as a code 3.

The other species she picked up since my last update were:
Buller's Shearwater
Red-billed Tropicbird
Northern Wheatear

She's at 742+1, one away from tying John Vanderpoel, and poised to make a big jump up the list.
Joe

Joe

Massive thanks as always.

Getting very impressive indeed. Less than 20 behind John Weigel now at that stage who only added 3 in September......

Any Code 1's and 2's still to collect?

I hope to have a look at your spreadsheets at the weekend but not had a chance to do so yet.

All the best

Joe

Massive thanks as always.

Getting very impressive indeed. Less than 20 behind John Weigel now at that stage who only added 3 in September......

Any Code 1's and 2's still to collect?

I hope to have a look at your spreadsheets at the weekend but not had a chance to do so yet.

All the best

If I read Joe's spreadsheet correctly (no guarantees there) - only Code 1 & 2s left are in Hawaii, except Yellow Rail & Smith's Longspur. Although additionally White-tailed Tropicbird and Wedge-tailed Shearwater are possible on lower 48 pelagics.

Thought she also added Townsend's Storm Petrel?

She did, back in July. It's on my sheets.
She added Arctic Warbler yesterday (a Code 2), so now she's down to Yellow Rail and Smith's Longspur, along with all the Hawaiian species.

Joe

Attachments

109.2 KB · Views: 22
    590.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I finally added the 2018 birders to the Continental Big Years sheet.

Joe

Attachments

• ContinentalBigYears2018.xlsx
    125.6 KB · Views: 24
  • ContinentalBigYears2018ByCode.xlsx
    617.5 KB · Views: 16
There's been a slight change to some of the top numbers, as Indian Peafowl isn't countable for any Big Year prior to 2018. Here's the pertinent language from the ABA Big Year Rules:

"Each species counted must have been on the ABA Checklist during the Big Year, with the following exception: A non-exotic species encountered that is new to the ABA Area can be retroactively counted for the Big Year if and when that species is added to the ABA Checklist and if the bird seen represents the accepted new ABA record or is another individual of the species seen after the initial record. Any ABA Area Big Year lists submitted to the ABA must be in accordance with these rules.”

http://listing.aba.org/big-year-rules/

Attachments

108.7 KB · Views: 49
    590.7 KB · Views: 20
The only eBird addition in the past few days is the Pechora Pipit for Nicole. 745 + 1 for her.

Joe

The biggest change appears to be that Nicole has launched (9th Sept) crowd funding appeal of $10k to help fund the final months. Don't think I have seen this before from any other "competitors"

I think Christian Hagenlocher did something similar on his website - asking for funds to help finish his big year.

Jan in MT

Weekly update: the Deans have moved up to 717, passing Bill Rydell, Dan Sanders and Greg Miller with a pelagic that garnered Great Skua, Manx Shearwater, Razorbill and Atlantic Puffin. This also means they've completed all the Continental Code 1 species, which is always a good trick. The other three Code 1 species are in Hawaii, and the Deans are not heading to the islands.
Joe

Nicole added three Code 4 species on St. Paul Island: Little Stint, White-tailed Eagle and Red-flanked Bluetail. She moves into the Top Ten all-time, now tied for 9th with Sandy Komito at 748. And it's still September!

Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back