• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sigma 70-300 dg apo (1 Viewer)

captaincarot

hi chaps.

i know that usually this lens has a red line round the top and this is how it can be identified.

i was looking at a second hand one the other day with a view to buying it, but turned it down because rather than it having the red line round the top it had a gold line round it. this left me feeling a little uneasy that it was indeed actually the lens in question.

so my question is do sigma make one of these lenses which has a gold ring round the top rather than a red one and if so what is the difference between them?

I have the Sigma 70-300 DG with no ring on the barrel. I think the ones with gold rings are the slightly older version (Super) whilst the red rings are the newer version of the lens (Super II). As for why mine has no ring, I don't have a clue!

Last edited:
I have the Sigma 70-300 DG with no ring on the barrel. I think the ones with gold rings are the slightly older version (Super) whilst the red rings are the newer version of the lens (Super II). As for why mine has no ring, I don't have a clue!

thanks for that B :) no ring means it's the basic non apo version. it's just i've never heard of the APO version having a coloured ring other than red, but you've given me an idea of where to look now

I can't check (its at home in another county) but it does sound like the older non-APO edition of the lens - like you say I also have not heard of the APO version having anything but a red ring around it.
Keep hunting for that APO version though - it really makes a difference in sharpness at the longend.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back