• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question on prisms in scopes... (1 Viewer)

St. Elmo

I looked at my 80mm Pentax scope and wondered what kind of prism it had - roof or porro? The specs say "porro" but that only prompted the question - do all (most) scopes use porros? If so, why? If not, why? If roofs are ever used, are they AK or SP... and, again, why? Anyone...? Thanks in advance.. Mike

The 80mm Pentax uses Porro in the straight version, Porro followed by semi-pentaprism in the angled version. That's typical of mid to low priced scopes.

There have been a few discussions about prism types in scopes here. I'll see if I can find one and post a link.

Just to get things rolling I will say that among the alpha scopes Swarovski and Kowa still use Porros in the straight versions. Nikon uses Porro in the older Fieldscopes, but like Zeiss and Leica it uses SP Roof in the straight EDG scopes. All the alphas currently use Schmidt prisms in the angled versions. I've only seen one scope that used an AK roof prism. It was an older version of the Swarovski draw tube scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back