• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New EagleEye generic cable-release bracket (1 Viewer)

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
Nobody is going to get particularly excited by a new cable-release bracket (if you do, you have my sympathies..... try to get out more)

This is the new generic cable-release bracket from EagleEye Opticzooms, fitting most digital cameras (and probably plenty of 35mm compacts). In most respects this is identical to the Jessop's version.... there's not much scope for radical design in these things.

The main differences between the two are:
The new EagleEye version is devoid of plastic, the part where your cable-release screws into is metal and it's thread is unlikely to be damaged with regular use.

The section where your cable-release screws into is a far simpler affair than the Jessops model as it cannot rotate.... so the release probe is always vertical. If you knocked the Jessops version you could end up with the probe coming out at a odd angle and not tripping the shutter button. This may not be quite as good for those with slanted shutter release buttons (cp4300 and some others). All of my cable-releases fitted o.k. The main support post doesn't look as if it can turn on the base, which is good, where-as the Jessops can.... but you can tighten with an Allen key.

The EagleEye device has a slimmer build all round, so no need to get the file out to remove excess metal at the base to allow a change of batteries. The base has one long slot for adjusting how far out you want the cable-release to extend from the camera, the bolt that secures the bracket to the camera fits into this slot but is one of those designs that means it can't fall out. This bolt is quite small, has a knurled edge and has a receiving thread to allow the whole set-up to be mounted upon a tripod.

I felt that the EagleEye bracket was more secure/stable in use than the Jessops version and quicker to set-up/align. I wouldn't expect someone using the Jessops to bother purchasing this item... but it's an alternative for newcomers to digiscoping, as well as a bit easier to order for some overseas digiscopers ( I don't think Jessops exports to non EU countries online)

Here's a photo of it... may as well have just shown the photo as it shows everything I have mentioned.

Andy

Attachments

• eagleeyeuk-cablereleasebracket.jpg
    eagleeyeuk-cablereleasebracket.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 444
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back