• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (1 Viewer)

...glad the sketches were enjoyed, again thanks for nice comments to all. Been out chasing glaucous Gull today, again without success, it's now frequenting a Grey Seal enclosure at feeding time! Wil try later in the week, got some nice mammal shots as compinsation for the dip..

This caught my eye tonight, Gyr Falcon, had been in care, this photo taken on release, at which point the beast weighed an incredible 1700g!

Click on link for image...

http://www.artportalen.se/birds/gallery_imageinfo.asp?imageid=197363

Glaucous Gull

Finally caught up on this beast yesterday afternoon. Been chasing this one around for months. Clever boy has been turning up every day at feeding time at the Grey Seal enclosure at Skansen zoo here in the city, 2pm. sharp every day since new years for a menu of fresh herring! The keeper eventually ID'd the bird and broke the news....
Not sure about the proportions on the preening bird, though sometimes you have to trust what you get down on paper. Very happy with the other, canvas beckons for a simple large portrait, love the delicate markings in the covert's of these birds...

Edit; I have added new sharper images today to replace last nights slightly out of focus shots, which also changed the order in case anyone thinks they are going mad!

Attachments

• Glaucous 1.jpg
    Glaucous 1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 44
  • glaucous 2.jpg
    glaucous 2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
sheer beauty - I've always wanted to reconnect with one of these - the only one I've seen was flying away along the tideline at Black Rock Sands, at the same time the Ivory Gull was flying back in. So you can imagine which one got more attention!

Well done Alan - these first winters are the finest, I think. The preening bird is beautifully seen - congrats all round. When I lived on Shapinsay, I once had 4 in my field at the same time (the same field as the snowy owl when I didn't live there!) - can't imagine seeing that again.

Last edited:
beautiful, the first one is esp graceful...do we have these on this side of the pond Alan?

A simular species at your northern climes, Glaucous Winged Gull. An extreme rarity here in europe and treated as a separate species, there is one in Denmark at the moment as it happens...http://images.google.com/images?hl=sv&rls=com.microsoft:sv&q=glaucous+winged+gull,+1st+winter,+photos&lr=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=18-wS9jOD5L5-Ab71fizCw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQsAQwAA

Last edited:
Painting again at the minute. Top canvas will be a Glaucous Gull, the bottom one an as yet undecided subject on water, have lots of sketches that might grace this one, current runners being Black Throated Diver, Eider Drake, Goosander or Goldeneye. Still at the whacking lots of paint on stage...
Note the broken off paintbrush handle, a rebellous statement of intent, also the unkempt hair, an absolute must whilst painting in my opinion. Just out of frame a glass of red wine and an incredible mess of paint splashes on the floor, which are in fact life threatening should I not get them cleaned up before Linda returns home....

Attachments

• Dalton Painting.jpg
    Dalton Painting.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 63
Progress on both here...

Painting both at the same time at the minute.

Glaucous Gull will be a simple portrait directly from the sketch posted a few days ago..

Have plumped for a drake eider for the second canvas...

Attachments

• P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 53
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 55
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 57
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back