• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Customer Service (1 Viewer)

FrankD

I wanted to share a little experience I just had with Vortex Optics' customer service. Three days ago I took my Razors out to look for a Rough-Legged Hawk that has been frequenting my area for the last week or two. After returning home I had my hands full of gear and accidentally let the Razors slip from grasp just as I walked into my basement.

They landed on the front rim of the right barrel. The five foot drop onto a cement floor did not do any external damage to the binoculars. There is no dent in the barrel or splitting of the rubber coating. However, upon placing the binocular up to my eyes the images seemed somewhat out of focus. The alignment seemed fine but I could feel the eye strain a bit to get both barrels in focus at the same time. I checked the diopter setting and it continued to show the "zero adjustment" setting I typically have all of my bins set for.

In an effort to get both barrels to the same point of focus I fiddled with the diopter. The diopter now has to be set at +5 in order to achieve the same point of focus. I proceeded to use them over the next day to determine if this was the only consequence of the accident and it appears to be the case.

After giving it some further thought I decided I would contact Vortex to see if I could send them in and have them looked over. I emailed them and received a reply later the same day. My options are as follows...

1. I can send them back and they will repair any problems with them free of charge and get them back to me as soon as is humanly possible.(I got the feeling of about a week or so but wasn't given a specific time frame.)

2. I can send them back and, in exchange, they will send me another pair immediately (2nd day Air) upon my request so I do not miss out on the opportunity to use them for some event or trip.

Take a guess which option I went for?

Based on the information listed for their VIP warranty I was somewhat expecting the first option available but I was totally unprepared for the second oppportunity!

Now, the issue may pop into some folks heads that I am receiving some type of special treatment because I posted some positive comments in regard to the Razor. This could not be further from the truth. This opportunity is available to anyone that owns a Vortex binocular and is in need of a replacement in short order because of some problem they may experience. When asked what happens to the model I sent back I was told that they repair it and then use it as a demo/display model.

How is that for customer service? I am still sitting here wondering if I heard the gentleman correctly but the proof will be on Thursday when the replacement Razors show up at my door. ;)

I had to share it with you guys especially after some of the horror stories I have read on here from some of the other manufacturers.

Very encouraging Frank! But if you really want to "share" something with us, tell us where that RLH is hanging out!

Bob

Other equipment is secondary, carry the binoculars. Around the neck if necessary. One reason I do not use harnesses, the strap is fast to put on take off.

Other equipment is secondary, carry the binoculars. Around the neck if necessary. One reason I do not use harnesses, the strap is fast to put on take off.

Tero,

I did not actually realize it was they that were slipping until I saw them heading for the floor. I did one of those "stick my foot up to break the fall" type maneuvers but I missed. :(

Bob,

I will gladly give you directions if you are genuinely interested. There have been a rash of RLH sightings in Lehigh, Northampton and now Berks counties. Check that list serve link I emailed to you...www.birdingonthe.net .

I had a Sandpiper 65 mm scope replaced in 3 days. A fine piece of gear, too.

I am not familiar with that scope however I am glad to hear that you received top notch service as well.

Edited: Oops, found it. :)

ceasar said:
tell us where that RLH is hanging out!

Bob

Oh. That brings memories. The first time i saw them i went on a 10 day expedition on the Kola Peninsula, with food only for 6 days. No mosquito repellant or waterproof gear, either.

I hear mud works as mosquito repellant. Did they have mud?

Tero,

You really throw me sometimes. :)

Spring is here by the way. I heard some Robins ;) the other day...and the various "black" birds have starting showing up locally.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back