• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Experimenting with LCD Shades (1 Viewer)

Yes Mick, it also extends it's self to Laptops as well, though higher resolution helps it does not cure it. I will have a go at this and I will let you know via PM, seems as though we are the only ones that have a problem with it. Ernie
PS, is the firefox in windows or Linux.

ernie i have the same problem..the LCD is bright even tho my kowa has brighteness control it becames difficult to see in the tropical sun..did try the Turban over my head but no go..:D :D so keep at it my friend and let me know how it goes.Regards.:t:

ernie i have the same problem..the LCD is bright even tho my kowa has brighteness control it becames difficult to see in the tropical sun..did try the Turban over my head but no go..:D :D so keep at it my friend and let me know how it goes.Regards.:t:

Hi Manjeet,
unfortunately, the brightness adjustments make little or no difference what so ever, as I said earlier this seems to be a fact of life where Lsc's are concerned, a shade of course does help, though often it's an inconvenience, but whats best the difficult in viewing and focusing or the inconvenience, the latter for mine. I will work something out .Ernie

After trying several different ideas, It boils down to either my original idea posted top of page, or a variation of the shade magnifier, which I And many others find imposible to use.After trying magnifications from 2X to 8X I have come to the conclusion that we are using too large a magnification, I had a pair of those clip on magnifiers, which you wear over your normal specs, for better close up viewing, these worked out just about right, there is just enough magnification without the pixalation,and allows me to put my eye right up to the shade, the only problem I came up against was that I had to double the length of the shade as you will see in the photo,still it is very light and no strain on the camera, the bottom half being the original. This was originally designed for the A610, but works ok with the A640, it clips over the screen nice and snuggly.Now I know it works I will probably rebuild it.

Attachments

• shademag.jpg
    shademag.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 180
  • shademag2.jpg
    shademag2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 158
  • frogeye.jpg
    frogeye.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 165
There's a coincidence, I have been experimenting today with something very similar, the lens is the objective from a cheap pair of bins and the rest is cardboard and black tape, it seems to work pretty good, you put your eye right against the lens so practically no light gets in which solves one problem and you get the benefit of a bit of magnification so I don't need to wear my reading glasses. What I need now is to try it in a real situation and if it's still good engineer a more robust version. Sorry about the pic but that's camera phones for you.

Mick

Attachments

• CameraAdapter.jpg
    CameraAdapter.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 211
Good one Mick, well you have one up on me, I have to wear my glasses with mine, I suppose its a matter of which lens you use, I will see how it works with someone who doesn't wear glasses, let you know. Had a thought about rebuilding , and I was thinking of using Balsa Wood, very light and quite strong. Ernie

A coincidence indeed, I made mine about 5 months ago, and have been using it ever since.

One big problem with all of these is that if the sun shines on to the lens you are going to look through, because the focal point will be the lcd screen, it can destroy the lcd screen pixels. Think back to when you were kids with a magnifying glass focusing the suns rays onto a piece of paper, and setting light to it !!

I know this can be a problem, because I burn't out several pixels on my original F30.
I have now made the magnifier/shade so that it hinges away when I am not actually looking through it. Will post a picture of that later. Meanwhile a picture of the magnifier on the F30 before I hinged it.

Malc

Attachments

• magnifiershade.jpg
    magnifiershade.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 141
Definitely a lens problem now, I am looking for a slightly stronger one so I can make something similar but shorter, kind of mimicking a DSLR seems to be the way to go.

Mick

A coincidence indeed, I made mine about 5 months ago, and have been using it ever since.

One big problem with all of these is that if the sun shines on to the lens you are going to look through, because the focal point will be the lcd screen, it can destroy the lcd screen pixels. Think back to when you were kids with a magnifying glass focusing the suns rays onto a piece of paper, and setting light to it !!
Malc

Good point I hadn't thought of that, must keep it in mind.

Mick

Hi Malc, good thoughts, I had found this out in a round about sort of way, as I mentioned a while ago, I had the magnifiers clipped to my specs while experimenting, I had lifted them up to see the view without the magnification, and felt a burning on my arm, it was the sun through the magnifiers. Thats a good idea to hinge it, look forward to seeing that, though with the swivel lens it is easy and quick to remove it. Mick, We have to find a happy medium with the strenght of the lens or else we are back to square one with the pixelation. Perhaps if we could make a cap to go over the lens. I got my daughter-in-law to look through it this morning and everything was still clear for her, so it should be ok for all. Ernie

Last edited:
Ernie

Two pictures of the swing up magnifier on the P5000.

And then two pictures of a shade made from a square section plastic rainwater downpipe shoe. If one could purchase the right focal length magnifiying glass, it could be mounted inside the shade, and would not be affected by the sun so much.

Will have a search on the net for magnifying glasses with different focal lengths.

Malc

Attachments

• DSCF0087res.jpg
    DSCF0087res.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCF0088res.jpg
    DSCF0088res.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCF0095res.jpg
    DSCF0095res.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF0096res.jpg
    DSCF0096res.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 116
Interesting stuff Malc, which of your 2 do you find the most useful?
Ernie regarding the pixelation, it is pretty bad with my cardboard test widget but to be honest so far I have relied on the auto focus and I want the magnification so I can clearly see the shutter speed and other stuff like that, I may well change my mind when I have had the chance to use it for real, I already have some ideas for mark 2.

Mick

You two great ideas there Malc, particularly like the drainpipe seection, looks real neat, Let us know the results of your search.
Mick, keep us up to speed on your results and new ideas.
I tried using the other eyeglass, at the bottom of the shade, but it didn't make enough of a difference to warrent making it a part of the setup.
We keep this up, we might just come up with something. Ernie

Another idea

OK, well here is my latest effort, made from as I suggested earlier from Balsa Wood, its very light, and sturdy, though i wouldn't suggest sitting on it. I also incorporated Malc's idea of putting the lens inside the tube, as can be seen in the photo, to counter the possibility of burning the screen, I have made a cap that can be put on when not in use. Since making it I have had another idea, as it is rather on the large size, perhaps I can make it in say three sections that consotina inside one another. Ernie

Attachments

• Shademag3.jpg
    Shademag3.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Shademag3+.jpg
    Shademag3+.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 121
what you think about this system, easy add, easy remove.

Attachments

• suoja.jpg
    suoja.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
have a couple pair of old reading glasses and going to try mounting one of those lens,, like the idea of not neeidng my reading glasses when viewing,,

have good building skills on small items so time to head to the shop and get started,,

have a couple pair of old reading glasses and going to try mounting one of those lens,, like the idea of not neeidng my reading glasses when viewing,,

have good building skills on small items so time to head to the shop and get started,,

Hi Derry,
Thanks for dropping by, look foreward to seeing your ideas, perhaps we can all come up with something worth while. Ernie

Derry go for it and let us know how you get on.
Musti nice one, what's it made from?
Ernie have you considered a concertina like in the old days, no idea how you would go about making one though.Your big lens one reminds me of the slide viewers you used to get.
I was in a shop this morning looking at disposable cameras and wondering if the lens from one of them might be useful, could be a cheap option.

Mick

G-Day Mick,
Yes Mick I did use that idea on my f717, it was a bellows from an old pentax bellows unit it did work fine, from reading the forum, John Henry says they are available, but they don't solve the current problems, and they would be difficult to manufacture at home. The disposable camaras could be worth looking into. Ernie

Musti, that looks good, how about a little more info, is it a shade or a combination Magnifier shade, if so do you get piaelation of the screen. Please let us Know. Ernie

Its gumtube and showarea are 30 x 40 mm and there are 2 x magnifier. I don't know the manufacturer of this but I found it from Fotofennica from Helsinki

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back