• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (2 Viewers)

Hooray! My first non-armchair lifer in just over a year: Balearic Warbler, two obliging and lovely males in Mallorca's Boquer valley, 36 years after my only Marmora's (back when there was no such species as Balearic Warbler!) B :)

Last edited:
Four recent lifers on a trip to Israel - Sinai Rosefinch (16.02.19), Crested Honey Buzzard (16.0.19), African Swamphen (18.02.19) & Vinous-breasted Starling (20.02.19).

The next day - though not a lifer - Tengmalm's Owl (21.02.19) - was a British tick.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 999 Sinai Rosefinch.jpg
    999 Sinai Rosefinch.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 999 Crested Honey Buzzard.jpg
    999 Crested Honey Buzzard.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 999 African Swamphen.jpg
    999 African Swamphen.jpg
    783.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 999 VB Starling.jpg
    999 VB Starling.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Tengmalm's Owl 0001.jpg
    Tengmalm's Owl 0001.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 24
Hiking in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge produced lifers in canyon wren and great views of rufous crowned sparrow (ABA #s 357, 358). Its about time for me to invest in a quality camera to start documenting. The RCS was 5 feet away, just begging to be photographed.

Four recent lifers on a trip to Israel - Sinai Rosefinch (16.02.19), Crested Honey Buzzard (16.0.19), African Swamphen (18.02.19) & Vinous-breasted Starling (20.02.19).

The next day - though not a lifer - Tengmalm's Owl (21.02.19) - was a British tick.

All the best

Paul

Great stuff Paul! Hopefully there's a trip report in the offing?

All the best,

Chris

Great stuff Paul! Hopefully there's a trip report in the offing?

All the best,

Chris

Chris

Many thanks.

I'm planning to write it up. The order is ebird checklists, photo editing & then write up but I've only got a window of a week before I am way again and I do need to reappear in work in between.

All the best

Chris

Many thanks.

I'm planning to write it up. The order is ebird checklists, photo editing & then write up but I've only got a window of a week before I am way again and I do need to reappear in work in between.

All the best

No problem Paul, I look forward to reading it whenever you have time to do it!

Chris

Just had a great two days of birding in the last week. Went birding with two different friends on two consecutive days. First day we went to Jahangirnagor University outside of Dhaka, Bangladesh, and got 53 species total with three lifers. The lifers were Paddyfield Warbler, Greater Spotted Eagle, and Rufescent Prinia.
The next day we went outside Dhaka to a rural area that a local birder had suggested to me. There we saw 37 species with five lifers: Striated Grassbird, Clamorous Reed Warbler, Siberian Rubythroat, Green Sandpiper, and Black-winged Kite. All the lifers were common, but still fun to get. I saw a total of 66 species across the two days.

An array of 14 with the last being a flock of 114 Northern Bald Ibis at Oued Massa and the one before that male Moussier's Redstart. Some mammals too ;) Fantastic!

John

My latest life bird, number 117, is the Eurasian Curlew, seen on a wonderful day out at Arne RSPB, as well as several year firsts.

A couple of mucky pups in a pond near Doncaster - little grebes. Loved the way they dived after food; they swam so near to the surface that you could follow their route from the ripples and bubbles. It's as if they were the world's worst spies trying to infiltrate underwater.

Attachments

• 46536288494_49e972d5df_c.jpg
    46536288494_49e972d5df_c.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 20
Tengmalm's Owl, last week in Sauerland, Germany. Despite having lived in Germany for 7½ years now, this was only my third lifer in Germany (the others are Hawfinch and -surprisingly- Iberian Chiffchaff, both of which were within 100 m from the Dutch border).

Tengmalm's Owl, last week in Sauerland, Germany. Despite having lived in Germany for 7½ years now, this was only my third lifer in Germany (the others are Hawfinch and -surprisingly- Iberian Chiffchaff, both of which were within 100 m from the Dutch border).

I’ve always assumed that Hawfinch was not uncommon on the near continent?

Cheers

Common in Berlin Tiergarten last summer :t:
Common in many places in Germany, which is a major stronghold for the species (along with Red Kite and Middle Spotted Woodpecker, which apparently also have their largest populations here). It's possible though that its distribution is more fragmented in other countries even on the continent.

...it's also possible that Hawfinch was a lifer for Xenospiza many many years ago on a holiday to Germany 😊
It didn't occur in the part of the Netherlands where I grew up (it used to be common in the centre and the southeast only). I saw my first one on a day trip to our only "tripoint" – where I saw it on the German side of the border. It still took me 4½ years to see one in the Netherlands after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back