• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Nikon P6000 (1 Viewer)

Some good pics there feathered one, I too am using a P6000 and getting some good keepers (will sort some out one day). Also made a favourite link to your page as there is some very interesting home engineering going on there ( I like fiddling with things to try and better the original).

Interested in your use of the red dot finder (I presume this is a sighting aid), how does it work with your set ups.

Last edited:
Malc,

Your pics is nice. Nothing wrong with your combo except could see heat haze on it. If it was taken during the golden light, it would be excellent !

Malc
Great shots with the 50x. I rarely use mine, but after seeing the results your getting I must give it another go. Great setup, I have just got a red dot sight and will be testing it over the coming days.
ATB
Tom

Tried out the Nikon ED82 with the 50x DS eyepiece today using the P6000. The good news is it pulls in some good pictures. The best pictures were with about 13mm of zoom on the camera.

Larger pictures can be seen on our P6000 web page here http://www.digiscoping.lynandmalc.co.uk/p6000page1.htm

Malc

The Godwits from at least 30 metres
The Grey Heron was from at least 45 metres

Nice results Malc. I like the teeth remote. Well done. Neil.

Really impressed by the mouth operated cable release and the LCD magnifier :t:
What is a red dot device? A target scope from a rifle?

Thanks for your interest.

Thornlv
If you need any information on any of the home engineering I have made, then email me.
Re the red dot finder. I couldn't work without it. Especially with angled scope and high magnifications.
How many times have you been trying to find the bird in the scope, never finding it because it has flown away?

I first of all look through the finder which has a wide field of view, you also don't have to put your eye up to the finder, you can look from say 15cm away, to see the red dot which you centre on the bird, then look back through the scope eyepiece or at the lcd on the camera, and the bird is there in the centre.

The red dot finder is usually used for a sight on a gun, and I bought mine from a gun shop. It has a small battery installed in it that illuminates the red dot. Nothing is actually shone at the target, it is just a red dot within the finder.

The picture of me using the digiscoping gear, shows a small box on the side of the scope. I have fitted this to hold rechargeable batteries for the red dot finder, as I just leave it switched on all the time while digiscoping, again to be quick on getting the picture.

Horukuru
Unfortunatley I don't get much time for Digiscoping, not retired yet (only another three and a half years to go) so have to make do with whatever weather I get. Yes it was quite sunny and warm when I took the last two sets of pictures, so there was some heat haze, in fact I was suprised that the pictures came out so well.

Tom
Yes do try the 50x eyepiece, no need for so much zoom on the camera, so quality should be better in good light. Downside is that vibration will be shown more, and finding the target with less field of view, so you will need to get that red dot finder on the scope and set up accurate. Once fitted I can't see you going back.

Neil
Glad you liked the teeth remote, makes it easier for those moving birds, and thanks again for all the tests you do on different equipment, and sharing those test with us.
you made my mind up to get the P6000 before they go out of production. I am glad I got it, my pictures have improved, more sharpness in them, I like the colour rendition too, and also it handles distant pictures better. So I now have the P5000, 5100 and 6000 plus a few others, not as many as you, I don't think I will ever catch up !

Bughunter
The mouth operated release is great for those birds that won't sit still. I use it a lot, I made it up after struggling to get a picture of sardinian warbler in Spain, which was searching for food amongst brambles, allows both hands free, one for steering the scope, the other for focusing the scope. It is sensitive enough to get the first click on the shutter release as well. I am sure you recognise it as a cut down washing line peg.
Re the red dot sight, see my reply to thornlv above.

Very inovative, will email when have more time - but in the meantime, which make/model of red dot finder do you recommend (what was the cost if you dont mind me asking).

At the moment I am heavily modifying my set up based around a Opticron ES80 and Baader microstage 2 swing out adapter, adding bolt ons without actually making any marks, holes etc in either. Hopefully it will help speed up the process of setting it up (leaving on so that its just a case of slapping the camera on fully aligned every time). Am also working on a version of 'iron' sights that you find on a bog standard rifle (ie a tip at the end and a grooved block at the eye end). But cant quite get on with it as my eyes dont take the change in focal length between block, tip and subject. So the red dot looks ideal.

Back to the park today to find that the water had been drained yesterday and they were filling it again. Nice to see starlings again at the water as I hadn't seen them the last couple of times . Neil

Nikon P6000 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw30x eyepiece and DCA adapter and Telescope Rail

Hong Kong,
China.
Sept 2009
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/

Attachments

• rb starling bathe DSCN9928.jpg
    rb starling bathe DSCN9928.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 198
  • bc night heron juv sw30x P6000 DSCN0413.jpg
    bc night heron juv sw30x P6000 DSCN0413.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 156
  • flamingo bathe sw30x P6000 DSCN0455.jpg
    flamingo bathe sw30x P6000 DSCN0455.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 125
  • flamingo eye sw30x P6000 DSCN0094.jpg
    flamingo eye sw30x P6000 DSCN0094.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 109
  • flamingo eye sw30x P6000 adj DSCN0035 copy.jpg
    flamingo eye sw30x P6000 adj DSCN0035 copy.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 142
Neil is right about this, but I can confirm that there is no need to save this to memory, as it stays set even after the camera is switched off and then on again. This happens in the U positions and in AP. Perhaps the latest firmware 1.2 solved this problem and the camera you tried was the original firmware.
Max
Hmm, now I own a P6000. It is on firmware version 1.2
If I select the remote (or self-timer) while in U1 or A, power it off and on again, the remote is no more activ. The self-timer is away after every picture. Why?
I can not try, what happens after a remote shutter, because the remote (and a second battery) are not yet arrived.
May be I do something wrong during activation? left button -> go down to self timer, press middle "ok" button

I'm still confused, but on a higher level :C

EDIT: Now it works somehow. I don't know, what I'm doing different now.

Last edited:
Mine stays at remote after turning it OFF and ON again. Didn't noticed it would turn off the remote in firmware 1.2 either.

One of my last:
Kowa Prominar 883 + 25x LER

Attachments

• 002866_w1.jpg
    002866_w1.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 199
If I select the remote (or self-timer) while in U1 or A, power it off and on again, the remote is no more activ. The self-timer is away after every picture. Why?
I can not try, what happens after a remote shutter, because the remote (and a second battery) are not yet arrived.
May be I do something wrong during activation? left button -> go down to self timer, press middle "ok" button

Hi again B/H,
I think the confusion here is possibly to do with the U settings. If you set the remote while in a U setting and then SAVE the setting, it will be there when you turn off and then on again. It stays on if you are using Aperture priority without doing anything. But it appears that even if you save the timer settings it isn't there when you power back on; the same applies to A/P.
Max

With V1.2 the Remote Setting does stay on when the camera is switched Off and On.
Neil.

My advice is to forget about the self timer and get yourself a cable release such as the one that fits into the flash hotshoe made by SRB Griturn

Whilst I cannot claim to have quite such an elaborate set-up as the Feathered one, my simple tube attachment and cable release produces excellent results and I would consider the cable release to be the most important bit of the add-on kit - I'm lost without it. Below are a few pictures from a recent tour to Colombia. I've selected a variety to show what the camera is capable of. If you'd like to see more, I've posted a whole gallery of digiscoped shots from Colombia here

Cheers

Pete:t:

Attachments

• Andean-Emerald-06.jpg
    Andean-Emerald-06.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 181
  • Citron-throated-Toucan-10.jpg
    Citron-throated-Toucan-10.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Collared-Trogon-02.jpg
    Collared-Trogon-02.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 170
  • Gold-ringed-Tanager-07.jpg
    Gold-ringed-Tanager-07.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 183
  • Yellow-billed-Toucanet-12.jpg
    Yellow-billed-Toucanet-12.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Pete,
can you give us more details about your digiscoping equipment (type of telescope, objective, tube attachment, camera)? Thanks!

(I was really amazed when I heared all of your excellent pictures were made digiscoping)

Hi Temmie

I posted some info about this in this thread - see post 12.

I do also use a DSLR, though did not take it to Colombia. In many cases I can get better shots digiscoping!;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back