• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Holiday birding (1 Viewer)

mary99

Hi Guys,

I've just come back from Torquay and went to Labrador bay RSPB nature reserve. I watched a pair of birds I hadn't seen before for about 15 minutes and got a really good look through binoculars rather than my ususal glance as they fly off and when I came back to identify them it was a male and female Cirl bunting! I was delighted, they are restricted to the SW and mostly to south devon which was exactly where I saw them, very chuffed.

Other life ticks for me (bearing in mind I am beginner)

Peregrine Falcon
Shag
Egrit
these on a wildlife boat trip

Turnstone
black headed gull
on beach

nuthatch
on a feeder at Paignton zoo

One bird I saw which I haven't been able to identify was at Labrador bay, so coastal and farming land.
It was hopping along a path when I first saw it when it flew up on to a fence, it was between robin and black bird sized it was grey backed/headed and lighter colour underneath, slim shape with slightly longer/noticable tail than you'd expect. Accuracy not fantastic as I didn't get to look for long but if anyone could make some suggestions I could research I'd appreciate it. I've tried the rspb bird identifier but I didn't find a match.

Thanks,
Mary

Hi Mary

Check out the grey wagtail and female pied wagtails in your bird book - one of these may be your mystery bird.

Mike

Thanks for the suggestion Mike but it wasn't a wagtail, I didn't see any yellow or black and I'm fairly familiar with Wagtails.

The closest in looks I can find is a spotted flycatcher but the behaviour doesn't add up. I'll just have to wait for another one and a better look!

Mary

What about a Wheatear, Mary? Did it have a white tail and rump? Habitat: coastal and farmland would be good for migrating Wheatears now. Behaviour would fit too.

Thanks Joanne, YES I think that could be a possibility, I thought I had seen a flash of white as it flew off.

I need to improve my observation skills!

Thanks again for the help guys,
Mary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back