• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Gold Ring HD 8x32 versus SV 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Not fair, read the posts. More than one person other than Dennis gave a glowing report on them. How is that a slight to you in any way ?

I don't think Annabeth is talking about that. It is common knowledge here on Bird Forum among older members that the Gold Ring has top shelf optics. What she means is Dennis's manipulation of his thread to help resell a binocular at a profit which he had no intention of keeping.

For example, the manipulation began in his first post where he used a 3 year old Allbinos evaluation of it to later compare it with binoculars like the 8x32 Swarovision which had not been evaluated by Allbinos.

Bob

Thing is, I just play along with Dennis for fun. I can't imagine anyone truly being deeply offended by his using this thread to sell a binocular, I mean hell, that's what he always has done. Just get a good laugh and thank him for putting another nice binocular on eBay. And as I have said on here time and time again, If you don't like his BS, just don't respond to his threads.

I don't think Annabeth is talking about that. It is common knowledge that the Gold Ring had top shelf optics. What she means is Dennis's manipulation of his thread to help resell a binocular at a profit which he had no intention of keeping.

For example, the manipulation began in his first post where he used a 3 year old Allbinos evaluation of it to later compare it with binoculars like the 8x32 Swarovision which had not been evaluated by Allbinos.

Bob

Annabeth

I was just teasing. I don't really think you have to have to own a Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, etc.

The 8x32 SV is gorgeous. I tried it at the Audubon nature store extensively
outside along with FL 8x32 and UV HD 8x32. I'd be happy with any one really.
However, I liked the little Ultravid the best. I really like the Leica design
and feel...love the small size. The optics I think were just a little better in the other two, but there's much more than just the optical quality that I loved about
the Ultravid.
I may have gotten the UV, but soon after I got an eye test and needed to
start wearing glasses. I've discovered that the smaller exit pupil with the 8x32s
is too annoying while wearing glasses (aligning the EP to my eyes while wearing
glasses), so I moved to 8x42. But 8x32 was always my fav format. I do miss those mid-sized binoculars even though I have learned to enjoy 8x42 now.
I have a 6x32 just to have a small and light binocular handy.

But yes I can see why the SV is highly rated and popular.
My fav binocular I've ever owned was my sand colored Swaro CL 8x30.

Annabeth

I was just teasing. I don't really think you have to have to own a Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, etc.

But what it sounds like to me as the reader is if someone says they really cant see an appreciable difference between a Leup GR (or Zen Prime HD) and a Swaro optically that they have some form of agenda and are just denying the obvious that any intelligent person can see.

And the fallacy that no Chinese company can build an alpha is laughable. Their machines can run just as tight as European machines. But with those tight tolerances comes a slowing of production and a rise in expense which the people buying their product dont want to pay. I suspect there will be a day not too many years from now that you will see $1500 Chinese bins rival the best in both quality and optics, but for right now there is no money in alpha optics.

I'm sure they could make one right now, but as you just said, it would probably cost $1500. That is my point, how much or little you spend on something doesn't have anything to do with who you are as a person, but the best always costs more, as I think you just eluded to by saying a Chinese model that truly competes at the highest level will cost a good bit of money. I have said more than enough in this thread, so I'm gonna back out and let things cool off. I tend to get my feathers ruffled a bit when I feel misunderstood.:-O Maybe Annabeth will forgive me at some point.|:$|

I suspect there will be a day not too many years from now that you will see $1500 Chinese bins rival the best in both quality and optics, but for right now there is no money in alpha optics.

It only took 196 posts on this thread for him to decide he didn't want it!3:)
I decided the weight was too much for me. I just bought it to try it because I have heard so many positive things about it. It is redundant to have the SV 8x32 and the GR HD 8x32. The SV is 6oz. lighter, It fits my hands better with the open bridge and it has sharper edges. The GR is still a remarkable buy for the money and the quality of the optics. The SV still overall works better for me.

If these are the "Alpha" ass kickers that everyone covets so much, why aren't they already gone ?
They will be. It will just take some time. People have to really think about spending $750. I didn't say they were alpha ass kickers. I said they were very close optically to the SV which is remarkable at their price. If you can take the weight(27 oz.) they will give you an alpha view for a lot less money.

Annabeth, just get an SV and it will all be OK.:-O I don't know though, Steve C says the Golden Ring is DA BOMB !3:)

I guess basic reading comprehension is not among whatever strong points you have. Nobody, in particular not me, is claiming these to be "Alpha Ass Kickers". If you happened to actually read my post here on the GR vs the SV, you would have seen I granted the point that Swarovski is likely the better binocular. Yeah I like my GR's a lot and until something comes along that proves them selves to my eye to be better, I'm not busting any part of my anatomy looking to upgrade. I'm not talking about better with regards to specification sheets or forum idolization either. I'm talking about differences obvious enough to me that I don't need to squint myself blind trying to ferret out whatever differences there are.

I will repeat the sentiment that I am glad you have the SV and I am glad you like it. I also am glad I actually lived long enough the find out that you actually have to have "balls" to buy one. I cede my position (one never sought by me and apparently granted by you, even if I'm not quite sure you have that authority) as "The MAN" on this forum to you. Since you have the balls to buy a SV, you actually deserve it more than I do. :t:

Bruce, you asked a question here that wondered if you had become the next Dennis. From me, the answer is yes you have. ;)

Post in peace here Bruce, and to anyone wondering...No my feathers are not mussed up here. There were just some comments that needed a response...that's all. Dennis and Bruce in combination are more than enough "entertainment". B :)

Looks like another pump to make these an urban legend.

I suppose value is found at closer to $500.

Jerry
It is no pump. I wanted to try them and I did. They were simply too heavy for me and I prefer the open bridge of the SV. I find it really funny that you think I pump a binocular up so I can dump it at a profit. I would have to be pretty hard up to do THAT! Remember I have two SV's. I am NOT that BROKE!

Last edited:
and feel...love the small size. The optics I think were just a little better in the other two, but there's much more than just the optical quality that I loved about
the Ultravid.
start wearing glasses. I've discovered that the smaller exit pupil with the 8x32s
glasses), so I moved to 8x42. But 8x32 was always my fav format. I do miss those mid-sized binoculars even though I have learned to enjoy 8x42 now.

Those two are the only two binoculars I own. The Swarovski SV 8x32 and the Swarovsli 8x30 CL except in green. I use the smaller CL's all the time even at the Symphony and the Theater. They are unobtrusive and LIGHT.

It took 9 pages and 208 posts to understand that Dennis was priming the pump for the expected dump?

Geez, how long have you guys [and girls] been at this?

I have to chuckle reading these threads, when long-time forum contributors get caught up in a heart-felt exchange with Dennis and his new bino. love, only to be owned like rubes in an alley game of three card monte.

Dennis's ass is officially laughing off, for the umpteenth time.......
I am not pumping anything. I always wanted to try the GR's so I bought them and tried them. I still prefer the SV's so why should I keep them? To be honest I am not that hard up that I have to go through all this to make $100. I didn't buy the GR's with the intention of flipping them. How many on this forum have bought and tried different binoculars and unloaded them when you didn't like them. The ONLY way to try GR's is to buy them on Ebay. If they had them at Cabella's I would go down to the store and try them before buying them. I think we have all quite a different pairs of binoculars.

Dennis,

I owned the 8x32 GR HD at the same time I owned the Swaro EL WB 8x32 and Nikon 8x32 SE.

Of the bunch, I liked the optics of the 8x32 SE the best and the ergos of the EL WB 8x32 the best.

I ended out selling the GR HD. It had too much competition and I didn't find it best at anything. It did have wonderful optics, but I never did take to its ergonomics. The IDP lock seemed a bit unusual and not very useful, and it had a small amount of movement in it anyways.

Since then, I've parted with both the SE and EL.

Regardless, it is always nice to check another binocular of the try list.

CG

P.S. There are some great youtube videos by Leupold of Leupold factory tours regarding rifle scope manufacturing/machining, assembly, finishing, optics design & engineering...
Exactly. I didn't care for the IPD lock either. It still has play in it after you lock it. Why have it. I gave the members a good review of the GR and they should value that. I didn't buy the GR's too make $100 on them.

It had high ratings in the Allbinos review and ratings (which were cited by Dennis) of the top 8x32 binoculars. But their ratings are 3 years old dating from 2011 and the only reason the Nikon 8x32 SE came in third at that time is because it lost points for not being waterproof and was not nitrogen filled. The biggest problem the Gold Ring had is that it weighed as much as many 8x42 binoculars did.
And still does.

the Ultravid.

Annabeth. Try laser surgery for your eyes. It worked for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back