• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High power observing fun (1 Viewer)

wllmspd

Having now happily settled on Nikon 8x30E2 after much forum input, I wondered how I could continue to enjoy the wide 2-eyed views that we all like here but with the higher power I get with my spotting scope.
I looked at the option of binoviewers (require too much focus in travel, as they split the light in half so dimmer views) and then looked at Astro binoculars (fixed eyepieces, imperfect narrower views and limited power). I finally came across the new APM 70mm 45degree eyepiece binoculars. These are triplet ED apochromatic and take widely available astro 1.25” eyepieces, so plenty of good choices. I believe these are nitrogen purged for those who need it. They’re made from Magnesium, so their size and weight would make them fit my lightweight backpack for easy carrying and would not overload the manfrotto tripod I use with my spotter. With a pair of eyepieces in they are 4.5kg, bit of sliding the clamp plate on my tripod head to keep the balance depending on where they are pointing.

The supplied 18mm eyepieces (22x) provide a nice 65degree field of view, distortion free, sharp practically to the edge and with any chromatic aberration only hinted at at the very edges. I also used some ultra wide Astro 13mm eyepieces, 30x and so a bit dimmer, but with a wider apparent field still, but some slight distortion and a narrower depth of focus.

The eye separation distance adjustment is stiff and once set stays put. It has individual eye focussing, which was a first for me, but isn’t too hard to tweak. You do each eye separately and then if you rotate both together, it’s nearly the same as centre focus. There is a notch in the carry handle that is easy to sight along, so finding stuff isn’t too hard and the wide fields give context to the view.
I took them to my local Ramsar wetland site, which has recently been flooded as part of management. From the usual hide the birds are 1-400m away, so normal binoculars are of limited use.
The apparent field of view with the 18mm is slightly less than the 8x30E2, but they had a much better view closer towards the edges. The 8x Nikon seemed disappointing after using the larger bins.
I found a number of birds I would never have spotted with the 8x and spent a long time watching them go about their business. I especially like the snipe and lapwing, both hiding in the vista ahead of me.
Neither fish nor fowl. Binoculars that need a tripod or a rather heavy (2eyed) spotting scope. The size and quality of the field of view mean these are definitely going to be seeing a lot of use when I am observing from hides.

Peter

Surprising that no one feels like commenting on this post, please find a photo below of the binoculars in action. I am going to design some 3D printed winged eyecups to eliminate straylight and further improve the views.

Peter

Attachments

• D5A2E2C6-CE21-4E95-9B59-D7A4DF876A2B.jpeg
    D5A2E2C6-CE21-4E95-9B59-D7A4DF876A2B.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 255
Hi Peter,
It is probably because few here have used such observation binoculars.

People appreciate the reviews and comments, even though they don't have personal experience with such binoculars.

Personally, I started with telescopes and didn't have any binocular for years.
I used 20x60s and 20x80s. Also probably 25x100, but these were not high quality observation binoculars.

With something big it has been scopes for me.

But I wouldn't mind using a binocular such as yours.

Peter,

Congratulations on your new acquisition. These should be ideal for extended viewing or water-bird counts.
I believe they are made by United Optics in China and had a quick look through the non-Ed version (also with the 18 mm eyepieces) on their stand at Photokina last year. Apart from a little visible CA on that version I was very impressed. APM has a good reputation so I would expect the versions sold by them to have good QC and no cost-cutting compromises.

John

Looks really impressive. One of the cons of a scope is obviously the unfriendliness of the setup (at the beginning I found it so hard to use). I have never seen (let alone use) anything like this. After using "regular" binoculars I see that the depth of field decreases with larger magnification. How does it feel looking through those? Do you have to constantly adjust for a snappy focus, or given the distance you are referring to, there is no need and things stay in a reasonable focus?

I had some 25x100 Astro binoculars, but straight through viewing isn’t as convenient and the view is narrower and the image quality worse. The 70mm seem to fill a nice niche of great views without too much weight. I come from the one eyed astro world and am impressed with what having two eyes can do. (Close one eye when you are using binoculars and you’ll understand). The higher power eyepieces do seem to need a bit more tweaking than at 22x, don’t know how much of this is down to eyepiece design and maybe I was looking at closer stuff when I did the test. I have an 8x pair of binoculars that need regular tweaks and a pair of 7x that seem to on focus beyond
30m.It’s just a very wide natural and sharp view. If you are scanning near and far a lot then it could get annoying. As I use a tripod the views are properly stable and so fine detail is visible.
I hope that others consider this as another option to the normal bins vs scope debate.

Peter

Peter,

Nice glass indeed, my use for those would be under the night sky, and in the future I will be seriously considering one for just that. I am sure you will be looking up also, enjoy the views.

Andy W.

I had a 30x80 Japanese Porro, best of three.
The eye relief was pitiful, and I don't use glasses with binoculars.

The Barska might be better, but maybe not.
The eye relief is given as 10mm, but I don't know if that is accurate.
I doubt that the Barska will stay collimated, and if bought without testing, may not be aligned when it arrives new.

I did not go for a more conventional big binocular as their fixed eyepieces are a compromise and not as good as can be obtained by using Astro eyepieces. Also I can swap powers and fields of view for different applications. The provided 18mm eyepieces have a wide, very flat field and good eye relief, not something that can easily obtained for the eyepieces on normal binoculars.

Peter

What is the most Mag that is still appealing under the night sky, just curious. Nothing like viewing through 45 or 90 degree eye piece. I viewed through a Docter glass, I think 30X, for a few days and the straight through view was great at low viewing angles, however to me limited at this configuration, a pity really, it was a very nice view.

Andy w.

I haven’t done enough for a conclusive idea, the distance across the lake I was observing was 400m or so and I could I’d things easily at the far side. If I had more powerful eyepieces I could use higher power. Also it depends on the species and conditions. I once IDd a kingfisher at a crazy distance due to its brilliant colour and distinct flight pattern. The advantage of 2 eyes is that your brain makes use of both images, so I would expect better ID than a similar spec spotter. I could use a zoom to optimise the magnification, but their apparent fields of view are really quite poor and I prefer the wider fields of fixed magnification, though of course this gets expensive as you need to buy pair of eyepieces!

Peter

Hi Peter,

I am going to design some 3D printed winged eyecups to eliminate straylight and further improve the views.

Which material are you going to use for that? I've just bought a spool of TPU filament with the intent to use it for "rubbery" optics accessories.

No real experience with that, except it seems a bit more difficult to get good looking and precise prints.

The material would seem like the logical choice for winged eyecups though :)

Regards,

Henning

I have Bowden tube printers so flexi filament is a no-no. I have hard eyeshields on several binoculars already. I’ve just bought some commercial folding eyecups, though the standard size only fits the smaller of my Astro eyepieces, so I may need to make some more. One issue with individual focussing is you end up rotating the eyecup as you focus. Need to loosen the eyepieces so focussing doesn’t affect the eyepiece!

Peter

Hi Peter,

One issue with individual focussing is you end up rotating the eyecup as you focus. Need to loosen the eyepieces so focussing doesn’t affect the eyepiece!

Or you could design a big body-mounted glareshield :) Probably not so convenient for transporting the scope though.

I have one printer with a "direct" extruder, which I have used for my TPU print. It'a cheap little DIY model though and doesn't have a good layer-cooling fan, so my print doesn't look exactly clean.

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back