• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x42 Bino, a good compromise? (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
Lately I have become quite fond of bird watching, long walks, nature in general but when the night comes I also continue with my other passion, observational and casual astronomy, I have several binoculars but sometimes they weigh me a lot, 10x50 for example, or have a little diameter ..I'm looking for some model that I think can be good for both hobbies, a 10x42.With enough lens and magnification, not to weigh too much, comfortable for walks.and good for casual astronomy ...
I would be happy to recommend some, I do not know if roof or Porro.
Thank you
Paul

While I'm sure many forum members are also into casual astronomy (as yourself... or me :) ) probably you could also do a search in Cloudy Nights (in case you haven't already done so), since there should be many people in the same position over there.
I have the Zeiss Victory 7x42 FL, but I think I agree with the review in Scopeviews, it is so bright that you get the best out of it with very dark skies. Anyway, I was really surprised by the 7x42 FL, it was as bright as a medium-range 8x56 I used, and way lighter, so for me it is indeed a great compromise for daylight birdwatching, dusk birdwatching or nightwalks by the moonlight... but probably not ideal for astronomy as such. Well, that's my experience, I hope it helps :)
There are a number of light 10x42 at the moment, for example I can think of the Nikon Monarch HG which at 680 g are so light and small offering stunning performance.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back